Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

From wikipedia
“Coronavirus pandemic misinformation
During the COVID-19 pandemic, The Federalist published numerous pieces that contained false information or information that was contrary to the recommendations of public health experts and authorities.[23][24] The Federalist published articles denouncing social distancing, as well as articles claiming that fears over the pandemic had been overhyped by the Democratic Party and the media. The Federalist co-founder Sean Davis said that Democrats were intentionally trying to ”destroy the economy” as a “last-ditch 2020 play”, and that “All they care about is power. And if they have to destroy your life and business to get power back, they will.” The Federalist published articles calling on the government to quickly end social distancing directions, and to open businesses again.[24] Co-founder Domenech attacked a prominent analysis from Imperial College London which estimated the loss of life due to the pandemic; Domenech attacked the analysis for revising its figures downward, but the reason that the analysis did so was that the analysis incorporated the social distancing and shutdown strategies that had increasingly been implemented.[25] Tracinski, a former contributor, wrote in Bulwark that The Federalist devolved over time into a “conspiracy-mongering partisan rag that has now become a menace to public health”.[25]

It published a piece by someone identified as a physician in Oregon who recommended that people hold “chickenpox”-style parties for the coronavirus to build herd immunity, but the recommendations were contrary to those of public health experts, and the author in question did not have a medical license and had worked as a businessman for decades.[24][26][27] At the time, experts warned that the number of new infections should be kept down so as to not overburden the health care system.[28] The Federalist was subsequently temporarily suspended from Twitter for promoting fringe ideas that contradicted public health experts and were harmful to public health.[27] Reddit also removed links to The Federalist article on its platform.[29]”

Precisely what I thought!!!

The summary from that report:

(underlined by me, not the original text)

Do you need to be a f**ckin’ genious to know that you need to take the mask off for eating/drinking, and that’s the point where virus can enter your system, specially if you are in spaces with other people infected (symptomatic or not)? (and specially in places where people don’t care about the virus pretending it is an “hoax”….)

C’mon, I thought that people were a bit more intelligent thorough before posting this kind of misenterpretation BS. :person_facepalming:

And, just by casualty, yesterday I was told about a case that fits entirely this scenario.
A guy that has been working at home since this all started, always protecting himself, normally goes out wearing a face mask, and then goes to a bar with friends and more people and needs to take the mask off to do what you do in a bar - eat and drink - and BANG, gets infected!

So…yeah, you can be wearing a mask all day, but if you go to a place where there are infected people and you take the mask off, yeah you can be infected!

So, WEAR A MASK, and don’t take it off before washing your hands, and until you are in “safe” place! Even it that is in you WC…

I’m tired of dumb people… :weary:

Wherever you find controversy on BLF, guess what else you find.

Great idea, tonight we watched Terminator: Dark Fate. Much more cheery than the news!!! :smiley:

haha :beer:

Mask — by itself, it’s ambiguous. What kind of mask? The material makes a world of difference.

The cloth masks that are so comfortable being worn by so many people is one of the least protective. It DOES a pretty good job of holding back aerosol releases of virus from an infected person. BUT, it should be cleaned periodically.

Mask wearing is about helping to contain infected people, not really to protect wearers FROM getting the virus. Everyone wears a mask because many people don’t know if they’re infected (asymptomatic). Idiots think that since they feel fine, they don’t need to wear one. This is why the virus has had a surge. End of summer, warm autumn, people feel comfortable now. “Virus should be gone by now. President is saying it’s going away!” Well it’s not. No herd immunity with this. The only way to defeat the virus is to starve it. Keep it from spreading and then let it die off. But we can’t achieve that if idiots think masks don’t do anything. Stop the f’ing disinfo, people.

I thought it was clear masks protect only the others.

Edit: xevious already wrote it.

My bad Judge Hank, :person_facepalming:

You are right, he needs a lesson, let’s put him on a no fly list.

I mean at least he was trying .

Hum, I am not sure if the “disinfo” is about what I said before, xevious, but I don’t see it that way. If not addressed at me, sorry.

Yes, it is said that masks (surgical ones or other more advanced, specially, but also some kind of cloth masks) “prevents” from spreading the virus in case a person is infected (symptomatic or not, which is the worst case, as you said). They can “prevent” droplets (to which virus may be attached) from going out of the mouth /nose or travel longer.

However, if they “prevent” droplets from getting out or travelling longer distances, doesn’t it also mean that they will also “protect” you from letting them in into your system? Even if it is not 100% assured that it will block all the particles in the air (specially the smaller ones), they will block bigger ones, and as many people have said before, the viruses don’t travel out a person’s system by themselves.

So, wearing in a mask (eventually a surgical type one is more effective in some situations) can also “prevent” it from getting in, particularly if you are in closed environments with people around like a bar, supermarket, school, church, … or even an open environment like a crowded street that leaves you without much room for social distancing.

My advice will still be the same: protect yourself and protect others, wear a mask, wash the hands regularly. Anyone of us can be infected without knowing/showing symptoms…and if we are one of those without wearing a mask, we may obviously be that “idiot” type mentioned above.

Stay safe folks :+1:

EDIT: Added “” to some verbs to avoid looking like an universal language/principle.

LOL
It’s no coincidence that the video with the German lawyer spewing unsubstantiated conspiracy stories almost exclusively about events in Germany was made with a presenter who speaks in perfect, American-accented English. The one statement about facts outside Germany was asserting that there have been no excess deaths caused by the virus anywhere in the world. Yeah, sure.

The people paid to manufacture propaganda are clever about it now. They post fake news in blogs and on YouTube at the same time that they post the same stories on fake news media websites and on Facebook and Twitter. That way, the people who will believe anything that confirms their opinions will find the stories “confirmed” (in their mind) well enough to believe them.

The same folks who were believing last winter that the virus might not spread in the USA now believe that the pandemic “should soon be over.” No matter how many times other people present the facts from scientists and epidemiologists and clinicians in the relevant fields here, they’re going to continue to post fake news and misleading propaganda from the disinformation industry, and they’ll continue to believe it.

I will not answer your insinuations Thunderay!

Whatever you do, wherever you are, whoever you are, stay safe! Protect yourself and others :+1:

EDIT:
For those that want to know and ascertain what Munchausen Syndrome is - and it is not what was stated in the post above - take a look:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/munchausens-syndrome/ (general)
Munchausen syndrome in COVID-19: An unnoticed concern - PMC (Covid-19 related)

i always get that confused with something else,

No, not directed at you specifically. You are right about the different grades of masks and that some WILL definitely protect you from catching virus. The thick heavy kind wore by medical professionals that is uncomfortable for the general public. But what people don’t realize is that there’s one other vector that is highly vulnerable: YOUR EYES. Case in point was a journalist who went on a plane ride & wore a mask the whole time. He caught the virus from that trip. He was mystified. But then… he didn’t wear a face shield. He didn’t sleep on the flight and watched a movie, eyes open for the whole trip. And that’s how he got it.

Cloth masks have gaps. You can suck in aerosol particles if you’re close enough to another person (even though your eyes may be shielded)… which is why safe distancing is also a key matter (I didn’t mention it earlier and should have). Masks & distance. That’s the most effective remedy to this.

There is a distinction necessary between aerosol & airborne. An airborne virus is so light, it floats everywhere effortlessly and can survive long trips & many days before decaying into harmless particles. Aerosol is where virus can be suspended in the air for periods up to several hours after a person openly expels virus into the air. But it eventually dissipates into harmless particles.

Is someone paying you to spread disinformation? I thought this thread was being cleaned up and all of us were trying our best to put correct information out there. Reiner Fuellmich has been admitted to the bar 26 years ago in Germany and California. That is a fact, look it up. He is not a fake lawyer and not a fake person. The corona international class action lawsuit is also real no matter how much all the tech companies try and block or discredit info about it. Why do you think the WHO did a 180 degree about face about lock downs recently? Because now there is a massive lawsuit naming people who have started and fueled this worldwide hoax and the cowards are running again because they are being exposed one by one. In the law suit nobody is saying the virus is not dangerous, what they are saying is that it is no more dangerous than the flu, have facts to back it up and how the media and many high officials have been manipulating data to keep this hoax going. His info keeps popping up on alternative sites because big tech are trying to hide what's going on, but so far have been unsuccessful as it is getting around now.

So, masks.

For those of you who believe in them & wear them, which ones do you wear? The cheap lightweight disposable kind? A hand-made washable cloth one? A high end runner’s type? What’s the most you’ve spent on a mask?

KN95 bought from Fireflies, which has a thread at BLF. Q.v.

It would seem to me that you are the one spreading misinformation. You call it a hoax and no more deadly than the flu. In order believe that you are sharing accurate information one would have to believe that there was a coordinated world wide effort to stage over-run hospitals and mass graves. Those things happened. They don’t happen even in a bad flu year.

Germany listened to the scientists and took actions based on an understanding of this as truly being more deadly and not a hoax. As a result of those actions German excess deaths are significantly lower than their neighbors. The lawsuit claims no excess deaths. That will not hold up. There are clearly excess deaths happening. The mass graves were not a hoax.

I wear cloth masks that I got for free (provided with imprinted logo).

I wash a mask once a month whether it needs it or not. (Just kidding) :confounded:

This is what I wear:

I bought a pack of 20 for $10 in 2015 (so this cost me 50 cents). I really like them. I keep one in each car, along with a pack of disinfecting wipes. When I go in a store, I put it on. When I return to the car I take it off and disinfect my hands. Easy peasy. And cheap. It’s generally accepted coronavirus can only live up to 2 days on a surface like this, so I just leave it on the passenger seat of the car and consider it disinfected in 2 days.

I agree there is an active disinformation campaing running in this thread

please dont requote the deniers

thanks for your constructive contributions

your comments are worthwhile and stand on their own

no need to pollute your reply requoting the disinformation… just ignore the disinformers