Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

What happens if you get all 3? Do you become Super Immune?

I think I'll take all three, plus the t-Vaccine, just to make sure.

It may be that it is not all that different. I believe that addictive and risky behaviors may have some genetic basis, some people may be more easily addicted. There may also be environmental factors too, as well as differences caused by poor nutrition which is not always an actual choice made by the individual. It is a hard line to draw and raises the question about who should be drawing the lines. I do hope you and your wife get your vaccinations and stay healthy. We’ve been doing our part we feel, by mostly staying home and away from other people and using curbside pickups whenever possible to obtain things we need or want.

I’ve been thinking similar thoughts about wanting to avoid the least effective vaccines and trying to get one of the most effective. But I’m guessing that reserving a place on a waiting list, which is now required in my state, comes with the obligation to show up when and where they tell me to go to get the vaccination. That means accepting the particular vaccine offered at the time by the provider to which I’m sent.

I assume that my refusal to accept the vaccine at that time will result in me being sent to the bottom of the waiting list. So, the question will be whether going to the end of the line and waiting weeks or months longer is worth trying to get a different vaccine. I doubt it’s worth the risk of waiting. I’ve got a long time to wait, in any case.

Well, I’m sure you know the standard answer to that—the correct vaccine is the first one available to you.

My Grandma and Grandpa became eligible for the vaccine about 3 weeks ago, but didn’t drive across the state to get it.
Just over a week ago Grandpa fell in his house and couldn’t get up. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital. He tested positive for Covid, then returned home in 5 days.
2 days later he was again taken by ambulance back to the hospital.

Today he passed away. His time of death was 2pm.

My Grandma has maintained through all this she just had allergies. One of the nurses was seriously concerned for her, so made the call to my mother to say Grandma didn’t seem to just have allergies and needed to be convinced to test for Covid so they could start treating her. She is positive.

That was my answer, above, and I don’t see any reason to change it at this time.

I really hate to hear that JoshK …… that’s really sad. I hope Grandma gets better.

Thanks Coscar.

Do most places even let people know which vaccine they’re getting when they sign up? When I got mine 2 weeks ago they never told me which one I was going to be getting and I only knew afterwards because it listed Moderna on the vaccine card. But as you say the one available to you is the right one.

Sorry to hear about your lost Josh.

I don’t know how they decide. Maybe what is available when the particular agency makes its’ order? My wife was informed in mid-day that a Pfizer vaccine was available for her and her fellow school nurses. I fit the “compromised” category as a +65-year-old fart and was sent to the Moderna inoculation site. I’ve done my share of reading and researching these vaccines and I see no reason to prefer one over the other. Maybe we’ll learn more down the line but for now, I recommend just taking the one available to you and be happy about it.

We´re just looking at it from a single viewpoint. Dutch researchers found the Moderna vaccin is:

- less effective from getting you infected compared to the two other vaccins, but

- reduces the need for hospitalisation/IC dramatically, and

• reduces the mortality to almost zero
    So, it is far better than no vaccine at all. If you are eligible for vaccination: take whatever you are offered.

Also remember that it is likely that yearly shots for a few years will be needed. Hopefully next year we will know more about the various vaccines and be able to pick and choose the best.

NPR has reported today "more than 484,000 deaths" in the US. That is the same number of 1909-S VDB cents minted. https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1909-s-vdb-1c-bn/2426

Received my 2nd Moderna vaccine on Wednesday. 24 hours later had a fever of 100.2, chills, achy muscles and joints, etc. Pretty much like a mild and short-lived case of the flu. Mostly back to normal today. Glad to have it behind me. I’d heard some tales from people who became much sicker from the 2nd shot.

On the other hand, my 87-year-old father had his second shot yesterday (unspecified vaccine brand), and he feels fine today. I don’t think it’s too late for him to begin having a reaction later today, but it is interesting that his immune system doesn’t seem to be reacting in a way that is making him feel ill. Maybe that is in part due to his age. Or luck. Or both.

I am not eligible for a vaccine yet, so I have to wait.

There is just no telling—my wife has had both shots(Pfizer) and had no side affects(effects? Never sure).

thanks, it says:

“Scientists already know that the antibodies people develop after natural infections with Covid-19 don’t always prevent them from being reinfected. One study of British healthcare workers found that 17% of those who had antibodies already when the study began – presumably from a first infection – caught it a second time. Around 66% of these cases were asymptomatic, but it’s thought that you don’t need to have symptoms to be at risk of passing the virus on to others. ”

this correlates with reports that USA Congresspeople who had been vaccinated, still tested positive, and though they were asymptomatic, they were infectious to others

I also know someone that got Covid last March, and was tested for antibodies for the next 3 months… by June, they had No Antibodies

moral of the stories

1. having had Covid does not create lifetime immunity

2. the vaccines dont create lifetime immunity

3. vaccinated people can still catch and spread the virus, even if they are asymptomatic.

I look forward to progress on the vaccine options, to not only reduce symptoms, but also to reduce transmission. And it would be really great if a vaccine comes along that prevents catching the Virus in the first place.

In every case, continue wearing masks, practice social distance, and act like you could become infected, and could spread the virus, even after being vaccinated.

People we know that received the Moderna vaccine had a similar experience.

My wife and I have had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine. We did not notice any effects from the first dose and only felt a little off (no fever or aches, just tired) the day after the second dose. We did not have a choice of which vaccine we recieved and would have accepted either one.