Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

It’s pretty unnerving to think that under benign temperatures, COVID19 can last for up to 9 days on metal, glass and plastic surfaces. No wonder why train authorities in some locations are having cars disinfected twice daily. But imagine, how much plastic is used for containers of food. So if someone has COVID19 and is asymptomatic, they may visit the grocery store spreading COVID19 on everything they touch or is near where they cough.

Curious how cardboard presents a greater challenge to the virus and it lasts up to 24 hours. It’s said this is because of the porous nature of the material, drawing away needed moisture from the virus.

Well ,you’d have to take that up with big Clive , (they don’t call him big Clive for nothing) :smiley:
But he does say at least 40%ish & he does say in an emergency if it’s all you can get , but he does recommend isopropyl instead , or you could use moss killer.

What? Isopropyl 99% from the local chemist cost about £20 gallon.

I’ve been doing this for years, with medium thickness 2-ply toilet paper:

If the poop is:

• fairly firm, use 1 square of toilet paper. Fold in half & wipe. Fold again in half & wipe. Then deposit in the toilet.
  • a little soft, use 2 squares of toilet paper. Fold in half & wipe, repeat, & repeat, then deposit in the toilet.
  • very soft or runny, use 3 squares of toilet paper. Fold in thirds to have one thick square, then wipe. Fold in half & repeat, repeat, then deposit in the toilet.

After first toilet paper use, check on how clean was the last wipe, then take either 1 or 2 squares & repeat. If you have that economical 1,000 sheets single ply SCOTT tissue, you will need to use more squares.

You’re going to wash your hands afterwards anyway, so if some moisture leaks through onto your fingers, it’s no big deal. You just don’t want any visible matter. Keep a liquid soap pump in the bathroom, where you can just press with the side of your hand or heel of your palm to get soap. Or, use a sensor dispenser (SimpleHuman makes a pretty good one). Thoroughly lather for 20 seconds, then rinse. Using this technique, your toilet paper roll will last significantly longer. I saw one article state that on average, for a poop drop, people in the USA use between 9 and 12 squares of toilet paper. With a firm poop that isn’t messy, you should be able to get away with using only 2 squares.

That’s because the press is incorrectly using the term ‘mortality rate’, when what they are actually describing is ‘Case Fatality Rate’ (CFR)

At this point the mortality rate for Covid-19 across an entire national population is meaningless, since the Pandemic in many places is just getting started. Plus the mortality rate may be reduced from mitigation measures like social distancing.

Much more relevant to us is the Case Fatality Rate… and that rate shows that Covid-19 is VERY dangerous.

TMI

It is not only copper which is antimicrobial, but its alloys too, like brass and bronze. Also of course, silver.

Those proven effective metals really should be used extensively in medical facilities and restrooms; door handles, push plates, handrails, chair handles etc.

If it works for you, great, but that really doesn’t seem like enough toilet paper.

I can’t believe I just typed that.

I’m with you, cabfrank. Instead of a few petals, I like to use the whole rose.
Edit: or is it hole rose?

Yea. Ideally they would be used in all public spaces. Sinks and faucets too.

Wonder if you can run your infected blood through copper tubing like in dialysis?

I thought that covid-19 was supposed to be not transferable through the blood? Only through the mucus membranes?

I’m not a doctor, but I slept with one last night.
I’m going to have to say no to that treatment plan.

The US Govt intentionally misled everyone about individuals not needing mask…… even saying that wearing one can be worse than not wearing one at all if you are not smart enough to put it on properly. Instead of simply admitting they were not prepared for the medical needs in the US …. they choose misinformation to cover their a$$ and it simply makes it hard to believe anything they say…….
Now you have healthcare workers threatening to not continue if they cant get mask…… and I dont blame them.
Fool me once, shame on you………

Here’s your sign

If corona doesn’t get me the last few posts are gonna make me bust a gut laughing! Where’s Lightbringer? He’s gotta have an opinion on this.

Mortality and fatality are widely being used interchangeably and incorrectly.

If I am not mistaken, the mortality rate may be seen as a naive estimate of a random individual’s chance of dying, the case fatality rate is the fraction of people who die among confirmed cases, while the probability of an infected person dying is… the infection fatality risk (IFR), the deaths among the total number of infected. Quite different things.

The IFR is unknown because both the total number of infected people is unknown (which will lower the rate), and the total number of deaths is also unknown since some of the infected people who will eventually die are not counted yet (lags 2-8 weeks and will increase the rate). Ultimately, the true value will not be known until after the pandemic is over.

Another point is that these values are not constant, and they do change over time, place, and according to conditions. For example, it’s not hard to imagine how overwhelming the health services could drive up IFR and mortality rates, not just for Covid-19, but potentially for other diseases too (including flu).

Once again I highly recommend this article which covers these details: Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) - Our World in Data

Also note that the mortality rate of the flu is currently higher, due to the (current, and hopefully maintained) difference prevalence. However, early modelled estimates of the IFR of Covid-19 are about 10X higher, so no, it’s not just media hype even if the terminology is used incorrectly.

Apples-to-apples, this coronavirus situation is worse than the flu on multiple metrics, both intrinsically and circumstantially. Plus, remember the effect of a new disease is additive, or in this case even multiplicative.

Haha I was wondering about sharing that link.

I prefer to use averaging and benefit from more layers and larger areas, while still being efficient.

i.e. I always use three squares at once, fold in half so the area for the first wipe is 1.5 squares, then fold again for 3/4 of a square on the second wipe, then fold again for 3/8 of a square for the third wipe.

This averages one square per wipe, even though I would hate to use one square alone. An added benefit is that the thickness and thus strength increases with each wipe.

I never measured, but one roll lasts me roughly a month.

And that’s it for my #toilettips of the day!

Just tangentially, this caution:

Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs.
| VCA Animal Hospital

After reading the most recent posts today, I think I need to disinfect my monitor, keyboard and mouse! Too much information, indeed! Blech! :open_mouth: