COURUI DO1 'Big Head' (Black/GRAY NOW AVAILABLE) $29.99 @ Gearbest ( use coupon: gbcourui) A long-throw modder's light!

Pure copper pill for this Courui available: ( by NikolaS )

Thanks tatasal for sharing my offer ………

:beer:

Guys, take a look at this: !!!

Courui "Even Bigger Head" D01 Projector: 113mm Lens , Luminus SBT-70 @ 13.5Amps *Build Stage* (by LinusHofman)

Perhaps going to be the ultimate `Big Head`….(this thread, and that of NikolaS, now added in OP)

I am sorry if I missed this mentioned,

I want to know if there is enough room to add a “blank” PCB between the batteries and the head (converting from 3P to 3S).

2 of the cells will need to be insulated from the head by the PCB. I am wondering if there is room?

thanks

This has been done before:

I think CK is also working on this

New modding thread on the Courui: my Courui D01 project: COMPLETE (by Caleb-v)
Added to OP.
Thanks

I ‘shamelessly’ copied FmC’s mod last night and got 3010 lux at 11 meters which can be computed to 362,210 cd or 1207 meters throw. :open_mouth:

Also got 3.62 Amps reading at the tail cap with 4.13 volt batteries. :wink:

This is now my strongest thrower so far and I’m really loving this light. :beer:

Quick question guys, if I piggyback two R100's on top the existing R200 what should that compute to for current?

-Garry

Assuming fully charged batteries & resistance mods, I’m guessing around ~3.5 Amps. Could be a little more.

Well my Courui mod didn't go so well (: . I had a short at the reflector due to a sharp peak of solder (which I couldn't see) poking through the kapton tape. I smelled a little bit of a burning smell but I didn't see any bad components. I found and fixed the solder peak then tried it again. It worked, but output looked really weak. I do have the "moonlight" mode when off, then outputs look like Low then High instead of High then Low. Highest output looks around +/- 200 lumens or so. Tried different batteries (first started with a single weak cell) but still weak output. I ran out of time to work on it and put it away all disgusted.

So do you think my driver is ok since it's still giving me modes? Could my triple stack of resistors be an issue? (I don't see how it would be any worse than a direct short across the stock one.) Would this be typical behavior of an LED after a short? (Still works but output way low.) This was a dedomed XM-L2 on copper.

And by the way, I had an awful time trying to get the reflector centered! The butterfly insulators don't "snap" to the reflector opening to hold it centered.

-Garry

FmC that seems awful low. I read some other mod posts and came to a conclusion that adding one R100 should have been sufficient. My objective was to have nearly direct-drive performance by way of ultra low sense resistence.

And you responded moments before I posted my new issue.

-Garry

It’s soooo easy to short out the driver with this reflector :frowning:

I’d say that you have burnt out one of the Fet’s.

I guess it depends on what type of battery you are using. Honestly, I’m just guessing on the figure here. With high drain cells you may well see over 4 amps. …well, you may have, before it was damaged…

Time to get a BLFDD driver in there!

- edit - I looked back through my own thread, as I was sure I had taken some current readings. With the resistor completely bridged, I saw just over 4.5A using a fully charged 25R.

Hmm, ok. So you think the LED is still fine most likely? I plan (when I get time again) to try and connect an 18650 direct to the emitter wires and see if it has the output level I expect. I kind of already did that during my first investigation but the light was face down and I was only interested to find out if it lit up.

-Garry

I have (3) 4.35v cells for this light, but haven't uses them yet as I wanted to make sure it was working properly first.

-Garry

My guess is that the LED is OK.

I’ve done several Courui’s, & managed to short the reflector in one of them as well…. same symptoms. A few others here have done the same as well.

It seems like those little Fets are not very robust.

Those little FETs aren't easy to buy and replace, are they? I'm guessing not.

-Garry

I would also say it’s a fet gone “wild”. In my experience leds are really hard to kill if you are not planning to kill them.
Try other driver with that led and you will see.

Easy to replace, particularly if you have a hot air setup.

I don’t know if anyone has been able to identify them? They just have “3400” written on them.

AiT Semiconductor Inc. AM3400 mosfet