Creating a custom watercooled led light ... struggling

They’re the same LED, only the PCB wiring change, see the 6V XHP70 PCB I linked earlier.

No I mean Voltage, it’s called DC bias in the characteristics, for exzmple this one : CL31A106KBHNNN | MLCC | Component Library | SAMSUNG ELECTRO-MECHANICS
-87% at 26V, that’s 1.3 uF effective capacitance.
The 2.2uF one is -67% = 0.7uF CL31A225KB9LNN | MLCC | Component Library | SAMSUNG ELECTRO-MECHANICS

You live you learn! Great support @thefreeman truely awesome!

But if I step up from 35V → 50V that could potentially work as well.
I will read up on the topic later!

Searched for bias in LM3409 since I read somewhere about temp…

When selecting a ceramic capacitor, special attention must be paid to the operating conditions of the
application. Ceramic capacitors can lose one-half or more of their capacitance at their rated DC voltage bias and
also lose capacitance with extremes in temperature.

Interesting topic. Package size seems to be a factor as well

The !@#$ dielectric MLCCs lose capacitance at high temp yes, that’s why X5R/X7R is a must.

can you describe what you are trying to do?
light the ocean from the shore?
wouldn;t it blind you?
is it just to spot waves, then go out?
or to see while you are surfing?

why 200,000 lumens
geez that is a lot!

how do other people ‘approach night time surfing’?

could you just wait for full moon?

go when someone else is out with their own 200 million lumen lights?

A few spots around the world have permanent lighting so the idea by itself is not new.
We have tried this spot once during nighttime by bringing a generator and a few car-light-bars. I think we brought something like 20.000 lumens but it was not nearly enough so those 200.000 lumens is merely an estimate.

Found a surfspot in Lima where they actually wrote that spec of the lighting was 2000 Watt. Nothing more.
So If I bring 60W x 30 LEDs I’m at 1800 Watt. But I’m hoping my system will have higher overall efficiency looking at drivers and lumens/watt and so on… So not more than that went into those 200.000 lumens. But I’m doing it in a modular fashion so ~60W * 6 Leds per lamp… Then adding more lamps adds more lumens…

Blinding by the lights? A possibility but I guess that depends a little on the height of the masts.
I live in Sweden so the number of days that brings good waves and a full moon would be like winning the lottery :slight_smile:

We only have one spot close to where I live and it’s a nature reserve. So we can’t setup permanent lighting and so on.

Another really critical factor is weight and thus cooling method. Existing highbay lights are usually in the range of 10-20kg due to the passive heatsink approach. Imagine placing a few of those on portable masts. Not gonna happen :slight_smile:

My current design is at ~700gr per 360Watts of light

sounds so expensive

maybe you can ask for donations to help

also the ‘candelas’ are important
you need the light in a certain direction, not all over the place

wle

Initially this was about cost. But that train has left the station.

The end “product” will be cost effective but the road to get there not soo much.

I’m attributing this to the learning account…

About throwing “light around”.
Using wellmatched optics in the 5-10 degree range so will send light where it needs to go :slight_smile:

also you mentioned generators - that would be way cheaper than batteries to buy

though the output would be AC, you would need a DC power supply for your light control

Bringing a generator into a nature reserve doesn’t feel right. So battery-driven is the way I’m going.

1 Thank

Still waiting for the MCPCBs from Mountain Electronics which derailed my order completely. Paid but the order got lost for a month before they discovered it…

So kept busy developing the controller board for 3x Led driver boards + watercooler pump

3D rendering of the controller and a custom programmer for the board to minimize components on the controller board. First itteration has a USB-C
As a fallback should the programmer fail.

Even had time to order that controller PCB and receive it, order parts and assemble a first board

Slapped on a USB-C as a first in any of my project. Not sure I have those details figured out properly since it only works one way…

Controller board accepts 12V-40V input or 5V via USB … Each jumper (3x 4pins) is PWM+GND and two pins for thermistors on driverboards to allow monitoring of temp for critical section of the PCB…

3D printer broke and I got derailed into putting hours into the custom programmer of the controller board… Way off-topic for the project really…

Realized my color of the LEDs on the rendering is incorrect :slight_smile:

Started moving LEDs from the Kaidomain to the new PCBs …
Took some effort. These copper PCB are quite difficult to solder on since they move the heat from pads to the entire PCB …

Used plenty of flux but the amount of time I had use the heatgun felt too long

Usually we use a hotplate or something that can heat the MCPCB from below. With hot-air/heat gun from the top it heats the LED for a long time before the solder reflows.
With a heat gun you can still heat it from below if you find a way to hold the MCPCB in the air.

Here’s a topic about reflowing LEDs with a video showing a couple of methods : How to reflow solder an LED emitter on a PCB or MCPCB.

1 Thank

Thanks for the link @thefreeman, I tried pre-heating first by holding the LED with tweezer and getting the solder flowing. Then placed the LED but that technique was not great. Will have a look into the proper way of doing it. Have 11 more to go.

Here’s an old video from Matt about how he does it.
This is from the thread mentioned by thefreeman.
Just though it would be easier if the video could be seen here.
All the Best,
Jeff

1 Thank

I understand that you want to light up a section of the ocean.

All solutions are developed within a set of constraints such as: max volume, max weight, cost, power requirements, etc.

To understand the scope of the problem, the constraints need to be defined. The constraints essentially ARE the problem.

I would start by asking:

Can a trailer be pulled onto location, via 4wheeler / quad, or by vehicle?

Can a gas generator be operated on location?

Might as well also ask: is a boat an option?