Cree changed production process for XP-G2 emitters!

In fact it is never to late to help…

I guess it is worth a try? If it has same phosphor surface and in fact if it is same emitter like XP-G2 but only dome difference than it is worth a try :slight_smile: Thanks

Well, I just followed that link and looked at page 21 myself, and I have an even more promising theory. It looks like the intention is that the XB-H is to XP-G2 what XP-L is to XM-L2. If that’s the case, it isn’t just as good as the XP-G2, but much better. Unfortunately, the PCT doesn’t seem to uphold this theory. The top rated XP-G2 emits a lot more lumens than the top rated XB-H does. But, like the XP-L, the XB-H is based on newer technology, so maybe it hasn’t reached its full potential yet. And, of course, if there is ever a XB-H2, that should easily blow away all the XP-G2’s by a large amount, right?

One can dream… :innocent:

Hmmm… No one on BLF and CPF did test on above mentioned emitter? Well it will have some potential after dedoming for sure…

If it has higher forward voltage(and that is only good and not bad thing like most of you think) it will safely run on single cell 18650 FET driven light.

EDIT:
Just checked at Mouser… 41 pcs for total of 50 euro(60:money_mouth_face: qualifies for free shipping… :frowning: or :slight_smile: if it is that good.

Edit: This is what wee need for test… Cool white version 6200K https://www2.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=XBHAWT-00-0000-000LT5051virtualkey57280000virtualkey941-XBHAWT-000LT5051

There are more promising emitters (Lumileds has had a few interesting ones, and LedEngin), but they have weird footsprints and we are sort of stuck with emitters that fit a XM or XP foorprint because that is what we have DTP-MCPCB’s for. XB-D DTP-boards can not be sourced and you need DTP to get the performance you are looking for.

Nowadays it is a bit easier because many companies make DTP-boards and they can be tailor-made in quite small quantities (500 or so), but still someone needs to invest $500 to do that and hope to earn it back somehow.

Djozz,

This is XB-H… Do we need different board for that or it can go to XP DTP?

Guys,

New emitter from Cree: Cree Launches Industry’s First Extreme Density LED — LED professional - LED Lighting Technology, Application MagazineFREE+Information+Service&utm_campaign=47c4f03172-LED+professional+Newsletter%28LpN%29+Dec+15%2C+2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ff8d2246a5-47c4f03172%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D&ct=t%28LED+professional+Newsletter%28LpN%29+~~+Dec+15%2C+2017%29&mc_cid=47c4f03172&mc_eid=%5BUNIQID%5D

thread here:

XB-H = 2.29x2.29mm, XP-G2 = 3.5x3.5, that is quite a difference. The XB-H will even not touch the electrical pads on a XP-board. That said, you could get away with a XP-board if you can get solder to bridge that gap. I should be able to get that done, but it is not a common thing to do.

Djozz,

I think we should get XLamp XD16 somehow… For the first time I have very good feeling for this led just by looking at it :slight_smile:

For experimentation I guess this is an option?

An Osram LED. LED test / review Osram SYNIOS P2720 DMLQ31.SG white - Small chip, but big in luminance - at low current!

The OP claims it outperforms the old XP-G2 and the Black Flat. Maybe you could check it out and see what you think.

The XD16 hasn’t a thermal pad (look datasheet 27), and the thermal resistance is not very low at 6 °C/W. In case of using DTP boards (which would be necessary at such high power ratings) it is very hard to electrically insulate anode / cathode from each other.
To be honest, I don’t see that this emitter could be the ‘new old XP-G2’ which everyone is looking for…

And… - this LED is very, very small (1.6 x 1.6 mm) so the handling in reflow is extremely difficult.

The light flux with approx. 450 lumens is much lower than of the XP-G2 / Black Flat, even at maximum over current possible.

I guess I misunderstood that thread?

Are you talking about the Synios or the new Cree?

I was talking about the Synios. I assume koef3 was too, since he quoted my post about it.

Funny thing is that the thread I was referring to about the Synios was koef3’s thread! I guess I’m just confused. :person_facepalming:

Honestly at this point, anyone who wants the best throw should not be buying Cree LEDs.
It’s that simple. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry Enderman but I would not change my old XP-G2 S4 2B for your new Osram black flat under any circumstances but that is maybe only because I am building flashlights and not bazookas :laughing:

We need LED masters like you Sir. Please lead us to right direction :+1:

well , everyone can do whatever he likes :+1:

Yes sure… Why not? I am just joking with Mr. Enderman :wink: