DC-Fix Diffusion Film Sale

Your first post on BLF is a classic

Let us know what you think

What do you think about applying some DCFix Milky to an LED MR16 “bulb” to make it less of a spot and more of a flood light ?

Yeh, go crazy…

For the horrible green tint of my Wurkkos TS32 (green at all level except Turbo) I used Zircon 803 1/4 Minus Green with 79.9% transmission. This film is only 4 bucks from Boaz, which he labels as “Z3” Quarter Minus Green.

I use the same film to tame some other exceedingly green lights: Sofirn IF25a with SST20 and Sofirn D25L headlamp with LH351D. Complete success there also. I also tried the 1/8 Minus Green but that was not enough to tame this green.

For A/B comparison:

Quote .. I use the same film to tame some other exceedingly green lights: Sofirn IF25a with SST20 and Sofirn D25L headlamp with LH351D...Quote

These are the exact lights I've used minus green filters on. The Sofirn IF25A has an absolutely lovely tint now. I picked it up and used it without thinking and had to stop and look at what light it was because I was so impressed with the tint . One 25 cent filter made this a much much better light .

Here is a must watch video from Cheule .

YouTube&ab_channel=Cheule

You just cut the appropriate sized circle and stick it on the glass? Or does it go on the inside?

What thickness, or film #, did you use on the IF25A?

Former if sticky.
Latter if nonsticky.

(Boaz pls correct me as needed.) If you could remove bezel, it goes inside; above glass lens, below bezel.

If you could not remove bezel, it goes outside. And the Zircon is not sticky so following is what I do. My 2 lights (or many lights?) have a slight protruding lip on bezel right next to the lens, creating a “crevice.” I cut the filter just slight large enough that it actually fits under that lip and kept there by the lip. For extra safety I put a couple small drop of Elmer glue (I know :person_facepalming: :slight_smile: ) and I am in the process of testing how that holds.

To make perfect circle that fits, in the case that you can’t remove bezel to get to the lens, look for round things around the house (spray paint plastic top, other flash light, round food/drink containers, etc.) that fits into that outside opening of flashlight’s bezel, and cut a little smaller or a little larger as needed.

There are 2 choices, Zircon or Lee, and I opt for Zircon (not Lee) for better heat tolerance. The choices for Zircon are:
1. Zircon 803: 1/4 minus green, 79.9% transmission
2. Zircon 804: 1/8 minus green, 83.6% transmission
3. Zircon 805: slightly less than 1/8 minus green, 86.6% transmission

I have 803 and 805, and only 803 1/4 minus green works to my satisfaction. It’s actually spectacular, saving lights that I would not have kept otherwise. When the tint is this nauseatingly green that bothers me enough to use filter, personally I need 1/4 minus. The 805 1/8 minus green is not nearly enough for me, but many others use it, including Boaz. One advantage of 1/8 minus green is, of course, higher light transmission.

I hear many more concerns about cutting or attaching before people order and almost never after they receive it .
About 95% of the lights I’ve put diffuser film or minus green filters on have been “ ON the lens “ instead of under . Probably because I’m lazy or there are just an above normal amount of lights that require some large amount of effort to break into .
Like Cannga said I take something round like an 18650 battery for a light like the Convoy. S2 and trace out a circle and just use that as my guide / Either cutting the line , leaving the line etc.

I have heard these concerns from people enough to see it as a problem … So when I cut , I intentionally do a bad job . I don’t cut into my circle but I do cut a little large and a bit wreckless just to put myself into the shoes of someone with little to no talent . You’re almost always going to get 1/2 to 3/4 of a decent circle and at that point the goal is to just keep making small cuts to get the film held by 2 or three highest points of the circle .
When it’s right those little high spots will be wedging into the tiny gap created by a bulging o-ring . The O-ring being round and the lens flat creates a nice place for the film to slip into … being held again in a few of the higher spots around the circle . With the stiffer material of the zircon it will bow outward when too large , and almost snap into place when it’s cut right.
If you’ve ever installed automotive window tint you realize that the two flat materials almost want to attach themselves together .
The trick obviously is not it too small of a circle and let light leak out around the material … maybe making such an intentionally bad starting cut has made me an expert trimmer :p
Easy fix of a common problem.

1 Thank

Sofirn IF25a example - I prefer 1/4 but YMMV. Personal taste so no right or wrong.

And here’s the ~1/8 Minus Green - still greenish to me so I went for 1/4.

That’s not a 1/8th minus green filter . That’s the Z-1 . The Z-2 is a much closer match to the F-1 1/8 minus green filter

I can’t figure out how to private message you on the new forum. I’d like to place an order please.

1 Thank

Click on the Avatar, then after the window is open, there is a message button below the Avatar !

Here’s what I see when I click on the avatar. This is in both mobile and desktop views.

Perhaps because my account is new?

Hmm…
I think you may be right.
Maybe if you post some more, you can PM BLF members?
(I don’t like the idea of NOT letting newbies PM BLF members, though.)

Well, it’s deferent…

@Boaz
Is #3 still the least diffuse film that you have? I’ve used it on many lights to great effect (mostly to remove the hard cut-off of the spill while still keeping a nice hotspot). I’m wondering if you had anything else lighter you’d suggest to try over #3.

I sent you a private message WKK

I think that’s true. You are a new new member without the ability to private message people it’s to avoid spam and it goes away pretty quickly. On the old site I used to not subscribe. To my own threads, so I probably wouldn’t have seen your comment .

A private message is normally a perfect way to get a hold of me.

I’m glad you’re interested and I probably have never been more excited myself after just recently modifying nine lights and making them much much better. Simple easy way to fix problems.