Disaster, dead light: Seeking Advice on updating FWAA firmware: Atmel T85 different package

Hi all. I’d like to update my Fwaa with the latest Anduril 2 features and maybe try to get lower lows.

I’ve looked at many threads and this seems the most helpful for choosing the firmware and config files.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/vhuj88/fwaa_updated_anduril_2_hex/

But I’m not sure how to use the 2 config files.

I’m using AVR dude as the software. I have Hank’s emisar flash kit with an soic8 Sop8 clamp coming.

Can some one help walk me through?

Also, any tips for enabling a lower low?

I’ve flashed Emisars, TS10 and Sofirn sp10 PRO and sc21 pro before.

Also, can I use this setup on older ATtiny 13 drivers?

Edit. We have a problem. Controller chip seems to be an Atmel T85. Much smaller, 20 pins all around It?

Further Edit: found the pads. We’ll see how it goes.

Final edit (for now): I messed up and killed my driver. :frowning:

If you want the easy way, look for .hex files. They’re precompiled and all you have to do is follow the guide at FW3A Firmware Flashing Guide. You can use the (older) FW3A-219c hex file and it will work well enough: http://toykeeper.net/torches/fsm/anduril2/anduril.2021-12-13.fw3a-219.hex

If you want to go the proper way and compile Anduril2 from source, have a look at the branch anduril2 : Code : Flashlight Firmware Repository for Anduril itself and find the config files mentioned in the Reddit thread you linked in the branch anduril2-fwaa : Code : Flashlight Firmware Repository.

For flashing a Attiny13, have a look at Guide: how to flash ATtiny13a based drivers (NANJG, QLITE, etc.) with custom firmware.

Thanks. Any advice on the latest firmware for the Fwaa with the newer features (turbo off setting, slower ramp).

I’m happy just choosing the correct hex file. I don’t think any have a lower low enabled though.

I meant is my hardware good for ATTINY13 updates too.

Your hardware will be good for the Attiny13.

As for the rest, no idea - maybe someone can share a Anduril2 hex with you here and save you the trouble of compiling it. I’m on Anduril1 strictly so I can’t help you with that.
If you’re on Linux or macOS it’s easy though, all you need is to install `bzr`, `avr-gcc`, and `avrdude` and run the build script that comes with the branch.

I run a windows PC. I’ll need to look into this some more.

Does any one have a more current pre-made hex for the Fwaa?

I could compile it, but I have no idea what config it needs.

Can you please check this thread?

It has the base hex and 2 config files. I currently don’t know how to compile them.

Here is the hex with the config mentioned above. Haven’t checked if it works: FinfCloud

Would need dynamic PWM for lower moonlight, maybe try the TS10 cfg.

I do not have the knowledge or experience to do.that. Do you think the ts10 firmware would.work? The Fwaa driver is fet+1 I believe.

Yes. Someone posted that they did it and it worked. Cant find the post… have not tried myself… I dont have FWAA flashing hardware

if I did I would

go here:
https://ghart.com/blf/firmware/hex_files/sofirn_anduril2/

and download and reflash the FWAA with this hex:
anduril.2022-07-19.wurkkos-ts10.hex

it has the lower lows and the option to turn off turbo also…

after the reflash, you may need to recalibrate the thermal sensor on the FWAA

good luck!..

You sure Jon? That sounds fabulous.

99% sure, but have not tried myself

I very much doubt it would work since the TS10 uses a T1616 and the FWAA a T85.

1 Thank

maybe this thread will shed some light on how to reflash the FWAA:

Thanks. I read that one and a bunch of others. I’m looking forward to trying out the hex from SammysHP (thanks so much!).

And also thefreeman for noting the chip difference (I had forgotten).

Edit: Dang it. I need some Dupont wires as my clip has the 8 pin cable and my USB adapter (from Hank) is 10 pin. Oh well. More Amazon. Good thing I have some spare FW3A drivers (woo!) to test it on.

Okay. A new problem. I opened up the light for modding. The controller chip looks much smaller and is an Atmel.T85. 5 tiny pins on all.4 sides (20 total).

This is not good. Anyone have other advice on flashing this?

Edit. I think I see 8 numbered pads attached to the chip. I guess I need to solder wires to these?

The driver is FWAA - M V2.2

Well. I found it. Different package. Sigh. Same chip but no clamp.

Well. That went as poorly as could be.

The night started well. My FWAA host was cleaned up, clip stonewashed, oring mod in the switch, swapped LEDs to 519 dedome.

So I soldered on wires to do the firmware update, well, the pads are tiny and weak, during the connecting to the USBASP, I managed to rip off 2 of the solder pads, so no update possible. Sigh.

Well, I must have done something else too because the driver is dead. Cleaned it, up, re-soldered everything. Still dead.

Welp. Now I need to find an FWAA driver to resurrect my dead FWAA, preferably a V-1 so I can use a clamp to update firmware.

On a side note I tried out my setup to update some spare FW3A drivers to Anduril 2. It worked (after messing with connections for a while), so at least that worked (can’t test since these drivers have no host).

Anyone have any spare V-1 FWAA drivers?