DQG 18650 mini clicky

see here for a coupon [NO COMMENTS OR DISCUSSIONS HERE!] The BLF Deal Alert Thread

Firelight, did you open the light? Do you have pictures of the driver?

That’s a good deal. Thanks for that.

My light from BG arrived today. It came in a little cardboard box with the clip, one spare O-ring and a instruction sheet which was just copied from the duqingang.com site.

I was a little disappointed as Firelight2 stated his light was noticeably shorter than his 1st gen. twisty version. Mine is the same length as the earlier twisty version with a 3400mAh protected cell installed. I do have to admit the UI is a little quirky but it’ll do. Like others have noted they could have made a much simpler UI. At least it works every time unlike the flawed twisty version.

It’s really strange how DQG can come out with these truly innovative, tiny lights but it seems like every time they introduce a new light, there’s always a lot of examples with something amiss like quirky or unreliable UI’s, sharp edges, O-ring eaters or what have you.

One thing I did notice is the tail cap threads are very fine. Even after applying liberal lube on them, (they came dry), if you’re not careful, they could easily be stripped when tightening the tail cap back down.

Some don’t care for them but I made a simple pocket sheath for it out of folded over lengthwise and sewn around the edges 1 7/8” nylon webbing/strap and with the clip pointing towards the activation button and when in the sheath, there’s now no way it can be accidentally turned on when in a pocket. The clip also acts as a reference point to the clicky when fumbling around in the dark.

All in all, it’s nice little light for the $27.00 I paid for it and a HUGE improvement over the earlier twisty versions.

Generally, the smallest flashlight is not the cheapest flashlight.

I was able to remove the bezel and have a picture of the front of the driver. I’ll try to get it posted tomorrow.

My attempts to separate the head from the body failed. Next to try would be more heat. If that doesn’t work the only solution left if I want to mod the light into a triple is probably to take a drill and smash the stock driver to bits.

I’ve been playing with mine for awhile. It always starts on low but my example is a little different.

First click: Low
2 Quick Clicks: Medium
2 More Quick Clicks: High
To access turbo, 1 long press when first on or 1 long press after high.

Actually it’s the following:

1 quick click from off: low
2 quick clicks from off: medium
3 quick clicks from off: high
2 quick clicks from on: advance to next mode (but not turbo).

Long click from on: jumps from whatever mode you are in to turbo.
Quick click from turbo: returns you to whatever mode you were in before entering turbo.
2 quick clicks from turbo: off

What I don’t like about the interface: Most used modes for me are max (turbo) and minimum. There’s no quick shortcut to turbo from off. To fix it all they would’ve needed to change is add another shortcut: long press from off to activate turbo. Unfortunately they didn’t do that.

Ah, I see. Thanks for that Firelight2.

My most used modes are low and high. I use turbo sparingly but it’s nice to have. Like you say, I can see where it would be handy to have instant access to turbo when needed.

I have no way to test this but does anyone know if there’s any parasitic drain in this switch? Thanks.

code works as of right now:

apparently intermittently as it’s not worked for everyone
just now it offers $24.92 to me when I try it
(xref from the deals thread)

I haven’t tested it, but it’s an e-switch. All e-switches have some parasitic drain.

If you want to disable parasitic drain you’ll need to use tailcap lockout.

hank, $24.92 is still a great price.

Yeah, I figured as much. At least these have a low voltage signal by blinking when the battery needs recharging which is nice.

This version, e-switch parasitic drain would be around 1uA, I found this on the DQG Homepage Link
Quote:“Standby current around 1uA, if you still worry about it, simply loosen tail cap around 1/4 turn to cut off electric connection of battery.”

Thanks for that but what exactly is 1uA?

1uA=0.001mA

If we use 3400mAh 18650 battery as power source, “in theory” we can standby for 3400*1000/24=141,666.6666666667 Days! But in real life battery will suffer from “Self Discharge” and the discharge characteristic of low amperage then we cannot achieved that value. :bigsmile:

So is it worth it? I can likely live with the UI but don’t like the level spread. 3.5 - 80 lumens is too big a jump for me…

Also, is there a lens in front of the optic or it just a bare optic?

Yes, there is a glass lens in front of the optic.

Even though the UI is a little quirky, I think if you’re looking for a nice quality, pocketable 18650 light, it’s a great deal.

Firelight2 said he didn’t have a glass lens to use with his 20mm optic. I don’t understand since there is a lens already?

Brightness:

Turbo mode>850 Lumens (Step down to previous mode after 60 seconds)

High mode>300 Lumens (5 hrs by 3400mah Battery)

Middle mode> 80 lumens (19 hrs)

Low mode: 3.5 Lumens (350 hrs)
_
850 LUMENS for ONLY 60 SEC[1 MINUTE]? Basically a burst mode which renders it to basically a 300 lumen light!

The SC62 may be a bit longer,sure it costs more but a better UI and PID thermal technology where 1000 lumens SLOWLY drops in output according to heat build up.

Cute little light too bad it does not have a 3 minute step down like my EC11 which is even smaller[2.95”/75mm] as it should be being an 18350 light. Also in 56F weather the other night I was able to run the EC11 for 15 minutes[minus step down],Basically Five, 3 minute sessions without getting hot. Tail stand indoors and the results are obviously different,about 4 minutes b/4 it gets hot.