DQG 18650 mini clicky

Thanks for all that wolfdog. I spied that EC11 awhile back and really like it but I just don’t need another battery size to deal with. I’m good with this light.

Gunga,
Again, my light has a nice glass lens in front of the optic. Why don’t you PM Firelight2 and ask him why he stated that?

Oh well. I couldn’t resist the Gearbeast special. Hope it gets here before my next baby!

:open_mouth:

My DQG18650 mini clicky definitely does NOT have a glass lens. The front of the optic is completely exposed. The opening in the bezel itself is exactly 20mm wide. The top of the optic is 20mm wide, but there’s a wider rim about 1mm down built into the optic that increases the width of the optic to 22mm. This prevents the optic from falling out of the light.

I personally removed both the bezel and optic and am absolutely certain there is no glass lens.

Personally, I’m fine with this arrangement. Optical acrylic is incredibly tough stuff. I have lots of aspheric lights and small triples with exposed acrylic. I’ve never had a problem with the lens scratching on any of them.

My shipment of 22m glass lenses arrived. One of these days I may get around to completing my planned mod of converting this into a small triple.

Where did you order the 22mm lens? My usual sources don’t have that size.

I ordered it awhile back actually. I think I got it from flashlightlens.com

I ordered one based on this thread, the price of $23-25 was what got me…. Now the wait time from the point of origin…

All my attempts to remove the head have failed.

I tried:

• 3M indoor stairway rubber grip tape around head and body with pliers applied to both pieces of tape. This method never failed me until this light.
  • Same as above, but using a large quantity of hot melt glue instead of tape
  • heat gun on the head of the light
  • Freezing the light, then trying tape method above
  • 60W soldering iron applied to head of light.

Nothing worked. I dinged up the head and body knurling pretty heavily when the pliers cut through the tape and glue, but that head is stuck… it didn’t move even 1 mm. Either:

• they used an incredible amount of threadlocker to glue this thing together.
  • they reverse threaded the threads and I didn’t notice. I don’t think this is the case as I tried both directions.
  • it’s a one-piece head-body. Seems unlikely since there’s a visible seam that I can slip the tip of an exacto knife underneath.

If I want to mod it the only remaining option is to take a drill and attempt to smash the current driver/star to bits. Even then, I’m not sure this will allow me to mod it if I end up in the position of needing to remove the body tube to install the new driver. Or I suppose I could try something irreversible to get more leverage (such as drilling a hole through the side of the head and another through the body and then inserting screwdrivers as levers.

Nice looking host, but so far I’d have to rate this very mod-unfriendly :frowning:

Thanks so much for trying! I guess I’ll shelve my dreams if putting a dr Jones driver in here… Sigh.

So can anyone post some beamshots of this light? I am looking to see the steps between levels and the throw on high/Turbo…

I am running low on my googlefu, do you have a link to this light mod? wow…

NEVERMIND, FOUND IT>…. [Mod] Convoy S2+ Mini - triple XPL with sideswitch *opinions needed*

That is a LIGHT…

I just got one to review in a few days. I’m quite impressed with the light itself, not so much with the UI.

Received my $24.92 DQG.

Tailcap anodizing is much darker than rest of it. Different colored parts seems to be DQG Tiny trademark :D

When using protected NCR18650B length seems to be same as first gen DQG Tiny 18650.

Anyone? Anyone? Beamshots….

ReManG

Beamshot for DQG and may others!! here… http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/beamshot-vergleiche/27575-458-beamshots-lampenbildern.html

Some Pics

Hopefully they make a new version of this with a UI that isn’t terrible.

Why is UI terrible. I like this UI.
I can turn on the light in low, in Mid or in high. Turbo is easy accesible from any mode. My unit has good response on the switch…
I’m really happy (and the price is awesome for this only 40gr flashlight…)

Agreed.

Actually, better in regards to no flashing during mode changes from off. Zebras will flash as you press through them. Definitely a plus!

Seems to be a bit of a thrower as well.

#MyTwoCents

Wow, thanks for that, lots of good comparisons…… The DQG III looks to be much improved over the first gen on the 18650…

Ok, this is one cool little light. The UI is great for me, so no problems there. It has no problems with any of my batteries, including the crappy Nuon protected cell I got from a brick and mortar store+.

The pictures do not do it justice on how small it really is, it is shorter than my Streamlight Microstream…. As a matter of fact it is the same width as Sipik SK68, but about an 1/8 inch shorter… Yup, shorter….

I think this will be my first review light here at BLF (or anywhere for that matter), so it will be a week or two before I review it as I want to give it a good shakedown. I am really impressed with this light so far.