DQG Hobi Group Buy

I hadn’t had the time to order it yet so I was planning to order the hobi cool white today but the discount code has expired??
I didn’t know there was a time limit on this code…?

I’m on it, give a day to see what’s up. I wil see where the error is and get the cheapest price for all ordered and not. I will also check on the coupon.

Sorry guys

I just got mine and they’re amazing. The beam is nice and tight compared to the mule Fairy. More to follow, including beam shots

Thanks!

Ok GearBest has flash sales to attract business and they put some items very very low, almost below profit. The NW Hobi is now one of those items so get it NOW while it’s at the cheapest price. That price will change Monday.

The coupon is being fixed as I’m writing, so should be fine. I will try and get some beam shots next week, you will be impressed.

Thanks.
I can confirm that the code is working again, just ordered a hobi cw with 10180 cell.

Thank’s to GJHS and DavidEF

received coupon code, i confirm that works well, and made order Hobi + battery

I got my Hobi yesterday, and it is so bright for its size! I love it! I don’t know if it’s me or what, but the pictures on the website just do not show how small this flashlight really is. The UI is basically, twist to tighten the head. As you do, it hits low mode, then tighten some more for hi mode. As you loosen, it goes back through low mode, and as you loosen some more, it turns off. Cool! I like it! :bigsmile:

Now, for the bad news. I had ordered both sets of extensions - one set of through-hole and not-through-hole (two extensions) and one extra through-hole extension. It takes two through-hole extensions to make the light long enough to work with 10440 cells. I wanted the not-through-hole extension to use with my charger so that I could keep one cell in the light while charging another. Well, it doesn’t work work that way. The shelf inside the extension is on the wrong end (it isn’t centered, but close to one end) so that the cell won’t fit inside. Not to fear, I ordered the hollow extension(s) also, so you just have to screw it together with three pieces - the charger, one through-hole extension, then the not-through-hole extension. Or at least I hope that is how it will work when I get the other extension(s). :weary:

Yep, a little while back, I was contacted by Gearbest with the news that they were out of through-hole extensions, so they were shipping my order minus that, and they gave me the choice of a refund or wait for the other to ship. Well, since one of my items was supposed to be a kit containing a through-hole extension plus a not-through-hole extension, I though I’d at least get that, so I could charge my cells and the other extension could come later, so I chose to wait. That isn’t what happened. Somehow, they decided to ship me two not-through-hole extensions in my “kit”. :_(

So, basically, I have no way to charge my cells unless I use a piece of my light with the charger. My light then is out of order until the charging is done, and I re-assemble it. I’m just hoping that the other package, which has now already shipped, contains two through-hole extensions, and that the other not-through-hole extension I’ve received is just a freebie for my trouble, because I will still need two of the through-hole extensions in order to use a 10440 cell in this light, in times when longer run-time is more important than minuscule size. If I don’t get two through-hole extensions, I will have to have a talk with Customer Service. :Sp

Well, this is my first (semi-)major flub from any of the Chinese retailers we’ve been dealing with. I was due one, and it’s really not all that bad, yet. I’m gonna try to use all the stuff I’ve learned from you guys about dealing with Customer Support Reps in order to make things as painless and stress-free as I can for myself. As it stands, I’m not too terribly upset yet, so let’s see if we can keep it that way. To be continued…

P.S. I still REALLY like the Hobi! :party:

I wonder if it could be any more confusing? I’m still clueless. It caused me to completely avoid the Hobi but ordered the Fairy instead. Looking forward to reading more posts as others receive their lights.

And to make it even more confusing there is also a lighter with a special extension to couple the lighter to the hobi :wink:
http://www.edc-light.com/dqg-lighter-mini-titanium-alloy-lighter_p1056.html

Anyway, to charge you can mod a tp4056 with a 15k resistor then it will charge with 40ma

I can still charge in the Hobi by taking the head off and replacing it with the charger. I was just wanting to be able to charge without having to use pieces of the Hobi so I could use the Hobi with one cell while charging the other cell. I should still be able to do that after I get the other extension(s). Hopefully.

The Hobi is a little complex. I guess it is meant to be modular, so that all these other accessories can be lego’d together with it. The Hobi itself comes apart in three pieces, like most full size flashlights. The head contains the driver, emitter, and a TIR. It is in a small shell with shallow female threads. The tail doesn’t contain anything. It is just a cap with extra long female threads. Then, the piece in the middle is male threaded on both ends, has an O-ring behind each set of threads, and not much in between. The charger is a micro-usb charger built into a shell about the same size as the head. It has shallow female threads also, like the head. To use it, you can take just the head off the light and screw the charger down in its place.

Then, there are the extensions. I have yet to figure out why the shelf inside the not-through-hole extension is near the male end of the tube inside. If you were to screw on the charger to that end, there would be almost no space inside at all. The female threaded end gets all the space, but neither the head nor the charger can screw onto that end, because they are also female threaded. If you want to use this extension with the charger or even with the head, you need a center section. Then, there is the through-hole extension. Like the not-through-hole extension, it also has both male and female threads. I’m hoping that the female side of this extension can be screwed to the male side of the not-through-hole extension, and the charger or the head can be screwed onto the male end of this, with space for a cell inside. That would leave the female side of the not-through-hole extension open, which looks goofy because it is so deep. Why the threads need to be so deep, I’ll never know. None of the pieces I’ve seen have male threads that are anywhere near that deep. So, most of the threads in the female side will go unused.

So, to re-cap, we have a three-piece Hobi, a charger, and two different extensions. That is six pieces so far. I think that if you want the best all-around configurability, you ought to have at least two of the through-hole extensions, so that you can use a 10440 cell at times for longer run-time. You also need an extra middle section piece. I don’t know where to get one of those. I haven’t found one at Gearbest. In an earlier post, one41 mentioned buying the charger with the male-to-male threaded section together at taobao, but that doesn’t help when you’re trying to get everything from Gearbest. In lieu of this piece, the through-hole extension should work, but will look goofy.

After you get that all straight in your head, then you can see that there are also a few accessories that work with this modular system, including a lighter. It’s cool how DQG engineered all this stuff to work together. I just wish that someone had explained it all to me, and that Gearbest had actually had all of it in stock, so I could get all the right pieces together to do what I wanted to do. But, I think I’ll do okay, once I get my other extension(s) in the mail.

As I understand it, the head and the middle piece of the hobi are the base pieces. From there you can either put the end cap/tailcap on it or one of the extensions.

I wish it was that simple. For instance, in order to use the charger, you would need the middle piece and the end cap. Just the charger and the end cap are not enough. Or, you would need a through-hole extension and a not-through-hole extension. Or, the middle piece and a not-through-hole extension would also work.

So, the middle piece is the most necessary part, and the not-through-hole extension is the most optional part. The head, middle, and tail come together and are collectively called the “Hobi”. To get the most from the least, you simply need to add a cell and a charger. To get the ability to charge in one hand and shine the Hobi in the other, the least you need is the Hobi, the charger, an extra middle piece (or a through-hole extension), and an extra end (or a not-through-hole extension) plus the two cells.

The Hobi can also use 10440 cells, if you add two through-hole extensions between the head/middle and the tail cap. The charger has a switch on it to change the charge rate between 50mA and 200mA. So, it will work with a 10440 as well. The build would be Charger + middle + 2X through-hole extensions + end cap.

For people who want the maximum configurability, there are lots of parts to buy… individually.

Couple days ago I received the Hobi and the 10180 cell I ordered. And again, I was a little surprised about the size (and I already have a fairy :P).
But I was totally surprised by the output/beam profile. That little TIR-optic really does a great job on focusing the light.

a couple (crappy) phone pics:
A beautiful pair of lights!

Looks very nice!

I’m still waiting for mine to show up… unfortunately GearBest decided to ship it out un-tracked even though when I placed the order their system indicated that tracking was included for free. Amazingly even after bringing this issue to their attention almost a month ago this problem still exists if you try to place new orders, so I’m done doing business with GearBest for now.

I’m still waiting for mine too, but mine has shipped tracked (Sweden Post)… “Direct Link, PostNord Receiving HUB Item received for processing” from June 27. I paid it on 2015-06-21 20:40:05 PDT… on time.

Anyone that has experience with the lighter attachment? (http://www.edc-light.com/dqg-lighter-mini-titanium-alloy-lighter_p1056.html)
I have a Hobi in stainless and the lighter is from titanium but it shouldn’t be a problem, right?
Really like that added future, one downside is that I find it pretty expensive…

I have the lighter, it’s cool although expensive for what it is but i couldn’t resist the option of having the hobi and a mini lighter combined. Only thing is the special adapter was missing from my order so i had to remind Ric to send it to me, which wasn’t a problem. Tracking says it has been delivered so i should get it 2moro when i get home.
I usually carry one of those peanut type lighters on my keyring as a backup to my zippo, this thing is tiny by comparison, love it and the idea of combining it with the flashlight is just genius in my book. :slight_smile:

Do you have the SS version of the hobi? It is not a problemen with the titanium lighter?

You know, i’m not entirely sure? I ordered the ss version but it feels very like Ti. Weighs about 5.6g - anyone got a weight for the ss or ti hobi?
I think they should all be interchangable. Will let you know tomorrow.

Edit - They go together well