Eagle Video Tutorials BLF Style

I copied the land pattern for the 7135’s from the data sheet for the LD2981 after verifying dimensions. The images show better with a black back ground but I do the work with it set to white so I can see the cursor.

Show the bStop and tStop (respectively) when you post images too…it helps locate the components a bit better as well

You should make a 3d render just for kicks too :stuck_out_tongue:

I havent been able to figure this out- is there any way I can group together a bunch of components/traces and then move / mirror / rotate that whole group together?

There's a group icon. It's near the top with the mirror and delete tools. It looks like a square. You click and drag over the parts you wan to move. You MUST have the origins layers active to be able to select a part. Once you have your parts grouped you select what you want to do by clicking the relevant icon (delete, mirror etc) and then ctrl-right-click to perform the action. I think. It tells you in the bottom left status bar what tp do anyway.

Note, the selector is super picky and will pick entire traces if you just select even one bloody pixel of them.

Instead of click-drag to select using a simple rectangle you can also click to draw a shape around your group, right click to close it. And you can turn off layers for things which would be within your selected area but you do not want to select.

Ah thanks, I’d gotten the groups made, just hadn’t been able to figure out the ctrl-right-click needed to alter them.

Another question, you know the big yellow X where you rip up a via, what exactly does that mean? I’ve got some of those on a pair of boards that arnt from removing anything, they actually appear when I draw top and bottom copper over a group of current carrying via’s, it’ll let me draw the top copper no problem but when I draw the bottom (via’s already placed) the yellow X shows up. I have all the via’s and both top and bottom copper named the same, is that correct?

How can I get it to give me a list of unrouted issues?

It means the traces between top and bottom are not connected properly and you need a via to connect. They can be a pain in the a** to fix sometimes, especially if you don't want or need a via. Just click the X and a trace will come up and then try and terminate it properly.

You can cheat like I do, and turn off the unrouted layer :smiley: , But sh!t gets busted when you do that (ask me how I know)

wight and mattaus have both smacked me for doing that…using the ratsnest will either redraw and clear the X, or you need to use the route command and re-connect the traces that got removed.

Would it be better to draw the copper first (top and bottom) and then add the via’s? I’m needing to carry a decent amount of current so I have sets of 8 .3302 via’s placed with the copper overlapping (but not the drills), and all named the same, then I add the top copper (1 line at a time, just larger than the group of via’s) and all’s still fine, then I draw the bottom copper (line at a time) and the X’s pop up. I also notice I can pick up the via’s and they’re not connected to the lines like if it was a trace that terminated at a via (how if you try to move the via the trace goes with it).

Lol that’s what I did, then tterev3 smacked me.

I’ll give the route commend a go.

You can also right click the trace and use the “name” command and label the signal on that particular trace and via’s, this way if the trace with the name touches the via of the same name I believe Eagle considers it “connected”

Also labeling the wires on the particular lines on the .sch help too

I HATE little yellow lines :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve got EVERYTHING named. Hoping the route command will fix it. I’ll send you my files.

Woo-hoo, route command took care of all the yellow X’s! I still have some small yellow line segments showing up in some places but I can live with that for now.

WH I sent you the files before I fixed them, I’ll resent them.

sorry for all these questions but now that I know how to use the program I’m looking for ways to improve my user exp…

Is there a way to change the default text align setting to center? It’s easier to grab / move with it set to center so I always change them but havent found how to reset the default so I have to change every one.

And another- after you rotate a component / text to a strange angle and save it sometimes it can be impossible to get it back to 0/90/180/270**, is there a way to have it go back to one of those “straight” angles, once its rotated to some off-angle you can still click it to rotate it 90** but its 90* from there, not 90* to the grid.

edit answered this one, there is a pull-down for it, click the move button, left click to pick up the part / text, go to the Angle pull-down menu in the top bar and set it to 90*.

Use the toolbar pulldown box to set align center.

I have one set(top trace, bottom trace, via) that all show the same signal in the name drop down but has the dreaded yellow “x”. How did you use the route command?

What to you name the traces that connect to “stars” 2, 3, and 4? I named the other side of the solder jumpers “gnd” as they connect to the gnd ring.

Did you hit the ratsnest icon to have it redraw, then if that doesn’t work redraw the trace with the route command (and/or delete the old path, then re-draw it with route)

I usually don’t label the stars

Well luckily the areas I was getting the X’s were mostly larger copper pours made out of thick lines top and bottom and there was 8 via’s so after I named the two copper areas and the 8 via’s I clicked route then choose a smaller thickness then just clicked all around drawing a bunch of short (but un broken) lines back and forth between via’s till the X went away. I’m sure there’s a better way but all the little lines I added were within the existing outline and just went from via to via so I dont think its really wrong that way, if anyone has a better way I’m open to suggestions too.

I had a few others where there was a single signal via, for those I again used route but matching the wire width and traced the wire from pad to via but I went to the far edge of the via. Did the same on the other side and that took care of those ones.

Yeah…this is why I was smacked for not going back and re-routing properly…the trace is there with using the wire command, but Eagle was being finicky…and I had all those “unrouted” lines but had good traces, the fine tuning is a beyotch :stuck_out_tongue: