Elektro Lumens Catadioptric 'Ultimate SearchLight'

I really want that opticā€¦
I didnā€™t see a mention of a seller and the price of the optic. (Or did i miss it?)

You could make a very flat lamp with this. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s Carcloā€™s only 60mm optic - Part no. 10158. As elektrolumens mentioned, you may run into some availability problemsā€¦

unique light,

run it hot, sink it well, dedome it with a 26650, the money will find you

ā€˜IFā€™ it turns out Iā€™m able to buy a larger quantity of this optics at a reasonable price, Iā€™m not opposed to the idea of selling off a few, to those whoā€™d like one. Finding a suitable host flashlight might prove difficult, though.

Iā€™ve always wanted to make a flat flashlight with a belt clip. I may make something like this at some point. .

Wayne

Woah! Wait a minuteā€¦ like a badge? Admittedly it would be a thick badge at somewhere over 11mm thick, but wow. Good idea. That would really get the unique-form-factor aficionados jumping up and down. I suppose you could do about 16-17mm thick and use one or two 14500ā€™s either bracketing the optic or below it.

Please keep us posted! I would also love to see what people could come up with using this lens.

Like this one :wink:

Iā€™d be interested in 1 of these optics, ā€œIFā€ you were to ā€œsell off a fewā€.

Yup, something similar :slight_smile:

Wayne

Iā€™m going to sell 7 of the Catadioptric flashlights. I will offer it either with my amperage regulation multi-mode circuit, or direct drive with Sinkpad star board. If my tail cap clicky switch cannot handle the amperage of direct drive, I will change to making the tail cap switch a twist on/off/momentary type switch which can handle the amperage. I prefer to use the clicky switch if possible. Anyway, if anyone is interested, you can go to my shopping cart and place your order:

http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=elektrolumens&product=Catadioptric

Price is $199.99 plus shipping.

Powered from the 26650 battery.

This is not a pre-sale, Iā€™ll be making these myself on my manual lathe, and this will take a few weeks to accomplish.

I will not de-dome the LED, but the LED is easy to get to, if you want to de-dome it. The LED is also very easy to change out if you want to do so (requires soldering skills.)

I may or may not make any more of these available. ? I have not decided.

Iā€™m waiting for the sinkpad boards to come, which will be by end of week. I can at that time answer questions about direct drive brightness.

Wayne

Just got in the Sinkpad star boards for the XM-L2 today. I mounted a XM-L2 LED, mounted it up onto the Catadioptric flashlight, removed the amperage regulation circuit board, wired it direct drive. According to my desk top power supply, powering at 4.2v Iā€™m seeing around 5 amps power level. According to some graphs Iā€™ve seen for the Sinkpad board, the XML2 should be putting out about 1550 lumens, but I can only estimate on this.

Iā€™m measuring around 68,000 lux at 1 meter, and this seems to match the power level increase and lumens increase measurements.

So Iā€™m estimating about a 50% increase in brightness.

I did not want to bore out this body so Iā€™m going to make another one for the 26650 battery. In this test Iā€™m using a IMR 18650, which can pump out up to 10 amps, so it handles the 5A quite easily. The 26650 batteries I have may make the flashlight a bit brighter, but I donā€™t think it would be that much. Maybe a bit of tweaking here and there might give a bit of increase in brightness.

Wayne

I decided to call this flashlight ā€˜The Ultimate SearchLightā€™

Iā€™m offering the Ultimate SearchLight with the amperage regulation circuitry, powered from the 18650 battery.

Wayne

I really like the idea of the belt clip light with this optic :-) . And the perfect battery form factor for it would be a lithium polymer battery (cell phone battery).

I will make something like this, at least for myself. Possibly with this optics, but maybe not, as itā€™s expensive and hard to get. A cell phone battery would be interesting, but I think a common 18650 would work nicely.

Regarding the Ultimate SearchLight, a customer has requested I build it for him maximum power level. For this I will redesign the flashlight to accommodate maximum cooling, which means copper heat sink, and adding cooling fins, powered from two 26650 batteries. Basically a re-design. Iā€™m shooting for 8 amps, but not sure if I can reach that, but will go as high power as feasible. Iā€™ve seen others go to 6.5 amps. At 8 amps lumens would be 1750 approximately (if I can keep it cool.) Iā€™m hoping to obtain a 100,000+ lux reading.

Wayne

Here is a link to a web page I designed for the Ultimate SearchLight:

http://elektrolumens.com/UltimateSearchLight/UltimateSearchLight.html

Wayne

First thought that popped in my head is, Cyclops. The other was Balor.

For those that donā€™t know, I copied this from Wiki:

Balor, figure from Irish mythology. Known for his evil eye, he could kill by looking at you. Prophesied that he would be killed by his grandson, so he attempted to have his grandchildren killed. One survived, Lugh, who killed him at the second battle of Magh Tuiredh.

I like that light. I am sure it is built like a tank!

I would be in for a group buyā€¦. (almost) regardless of price.

I like the stubby robust build, but would have to push it farther than youā€™re willing to.

My single 18650 lights usually run over 6A, almost 7. Iā€™ve got some in the 1800 lumens range or more when domed, 1500-1600 lumens de-domed. Iā€™d love to see what kind of lux can be tweaked out of it.

I make a good guinea pig, with plenty of BLF17DD FET drivers on hand. :wink:

Edit: Also have a 10A Tofty switch standing by, and some of the new XP-L emitters that seem to be able to handle over 8A reliably. :slight_smile:

I decided to keep this flashlight as I have designed and built it, using the regulation circuitry, max power 2.8A, multi-mode. It is extremely useful to have brightness modes. However, I am also designing a flashlight that will be powered from two 26650 batteries, and push the XM-L2 to as much as 8A, or whatever it will tolerate. Iā€™m mounting the XM-L2 LED on a copper sinkpad. This will be single mode high power, unless I use my system in which spinning the head selects high/low power. I do have switches to handle 10A, but they are forward mounted click switches, mounted up towards the head end of the tube. This flashlight will have a little bit larger size head with cooling fins.

XP-L over 8A ??

Wayne

Djozz has tested both the XM-L2 and XP-L emitters to crash point. The XP-L tends to handle the high end a bit better, in his tests he took em up to 10.5A where the XM-Lā€™s died easily just past 8A.

In case you havenā€™t heard, the XP-L is an XM-L2 die mounted on an XP-G2 substrate. Same die, smaller footprint.

Edit: This is preliminary testing on a limited number of emitters.
2.8A? Seriously? No way! Iā€™ve got a 3ā€ neck light running 3.2A for 873 lumens on a 10mm driver from a 10440 cell. Please! No offense Wayne, but youā€™re gonna have to up the ante if yourā€™e selling a $200 light.

I donā€™t want to speak out of turn, butā€¦ yeah, whatā€™s up with that? A $200 custom flashlight running on what appears to be a stock oldschool Nanjg 105c? Iā€™m not a huge fan of DD, but it does seem that there are more flexible (and straight up better) options available than the 105c - both in terms of power and firmware. Even if all a person wanted was high/low, offtime would add a lot. A 20mm driver cavity would allow for many options.

20mm BLF20DD
20mm 12*7135 driver
LD-29 (with 2s)

I suspect that there have been some developments in recent years that elektrolumens is not aware of.

Not to mention the impressive proprietary things available through folks like DrJones and ttrev3. I suppose itā€™s worth pointing out that the forthcoming LD-1 from led4power is actually a 17mm driver rather than a 20mm driver, but I certainly wouldnā€™t be surprised to see a 20mm variant become available.