Emisar D3AA driver technical information

Thanks!

I don’t know how much time anyone else put into it, but I know I worked on it quite a bit. I did a major refactor of the entire code base, rewrote half the FSM code, built an entire new system for handling multiple MCU support, and of course also added a new MCU. I’m not even done yet, really… there are still some pretty major changes to do for proper support, like rewriting the timer and scheduling systems and button handling. But what it has now is at least good enough in the short term.

FSM has always been a big pile of spaghetti code, as it says in the name… it’s a F’ing spaghetti monster. Each previous MCU was kind of just kludged in. But for adding AVR DD, I rewrote all that, untangled large amounts of spaghetti, and I’m working on making the whole thing a lot cleaner and more robust.

I hope to see more lights using AVR DD in the future. It’s a really nice MCU and works quite a bit better than older models.

… are almost always the first thing people bring up when they haven’t really looked into the details and thus don’t realize that the power use is orders of magnitude too high.

On the primary light I use daily, the aux LEDs can run nonstop for about 6 years per charge. With neopixels though, they probably wouldn’t physically fit due to size, and they would drain the battery in just a few days.

To be viable for a torch’s always-on aux LEDs, a proposed solution needs to have less than 0.100 mA of overhead beyond what the LEDs use, and the LEDs need to go down as low as 0.050 mA. That means a total standby power of 0.200 mA or less, while the aux LEDs are lit up. The solution I’m using right now is just 0.086 mA total.

15 Thanks

There are small ones of the same size as the RGB LEDs commonly used (1.6x1.5mm), and other branded ones even smaller like 1x1mm, but they all have the same high power consumption, so like you said it’s not a viable solution.

3 Thanks

I didnt mean the individual neopixels but theres a neopixel driver thingy that can be connected to normal rgb leds… but that orobably still has a lot of power draw. Also did i just read multi-mcu support?

1 Thank

ATtiny85, ATtiny1634, tinyAVR 0/1 (usually ATtiny1616), AVR DD.

Oh i thought multiple mcus at the same time. Some flashlights use a secondary mcu in the tailswitch so the tube doesnt need a double wall. Its cool if you can implement it in a small enough design.

Regarding discrete RGB drivers I found that one some time ago that has lower power consumption than neopixels:

But it doesn’t quite meet the requirements @ToyKeeper mentioned above.

2 Thanks

Thanks for all the details. Even though its not a Zebra killer, the D3AA runtimes are great!
run d3aa

I hope you have a very Happy Easter! :wink:

7 Thanks

What kind of cad software do you use to design pcbs? Your designs and progress is really inspiring.

iirc thefreeman uses KiCad

3 Thanks

Indeed.

4 Thanks

Oh thats nice. I started learning how to use kicad properly a short while ago. I ran into a little problem as it crashes my compositor on linux but yeah.

1 Thank

Did you use some guide or did you just self teach it? Sorry for asking so many questions, just a fan of your work.

2 Thanks

Usually I’ve found Eneloops give better run-times than 14500, interesting to see that that’s not the case with this driver. Will have to order a couple of 14500s!

3 Thanks

Self taught mostly: online electronic courses, articles and app notes…etc.
For Kicad I found it pretty easy to get the hang of it, and there are a lot of online resources, tutorials etc.

6 Thanks

Welcome in the self-taught EE club :smiley:

5 Thanks

Yeah, kicad is fairly easy in terms of the learning curve, I was able to selfteach within a day or so as well.

1 Thank

First D3AA arrival pics have been posted

5 Thanks

Looks great. Love the size.

my only concern is the head diameter (larger than TS10)…

I look forward to some comparison pics to an AA Zebra… :wink:

wondering if the TS10 reflashing tool (flipped around because the pads are in opposite order) will work on the D3AA?

1 Thank

Wow. That looks terrific!

1 Thank