Eve 21700 40PL 70 Amp cell

I did a quick search and didn’t see these mentioned. I was curious to know whether anyone has used or tested them
18650batterystore has them on sale. I was thinking of picking up a few.

EVE 40PL

4 Thanks

They look promising:

1 Thank

What would you even run with this? Besides something like a quad SBT90.2?

1 Thank

We run dreams on cell like this.

4 Thanks

Maybe a higher capacity cell to replace the Lishen HP cell that I use in the Valkyrie NI03S… single LED, SFP55.2L and it suck lots of juice. It draws over 50 amps with the Lishen cell (Nightwatch claims 60 amps). About 43A with a 40T. With a difference of around 3K less lumens. But the Lishen is a 3 Ah cell ( I measure more like 2700 mAh) So a cell that is closer to 4 Ah that has low IR might be just the ticket for the Nighwatch.

1 Thank

I’m interested in their 58E as well. Only info I could find is EVE Releases the 21700 40PL and 58E Battery Cell

Other specs I found for this cell mention a CDR of around 40A … EVE Energy INR21700-40PL Batemo Cell Model

That is not 70A CDR? Pulse rating?

Not pulse. It is 70A CDR but with a 75C recommended cutoff temp, 80C max, meaning you can discharge it at 70A but only until the cell gets really hot.

1 Thank

What they did not wrote in datasheet: 80C that’s double what is suitable for lithium and… 70A before exploding…

Wow! Thanks…it still needs to be tested by Mooch.

80C max is suitable for lithium cells.

1 Thank

… before exploding . Lets ask ChatGPT:
The safe operating temperature range for lithium-ion batteries typically falls between 0°C to 45°C (32°F to 113°F) during charging and -20°C to 60°C (-4°F to 140°F) during discharging.

Exceeding these temperatures can cause various issues, such as reduced battery performance, capacity degradation, or even safety hazards like thermal runaway, which can lead to fires or explosions.

Manufacturers often specify more precise temperature ranges for their products, so it’s always good to check those details for specific battery models.
Some why i don’t trust “EVE”…

1 Thank

Refer to the datasheet for your particular cell. Most are rated to 60C max during discharge, but some are rated to 80C, such as Molicel P50B, Samsung 30T and 40T, Sony VT6A, etc. Even the decade old Samsung 30Q datasheet says discharge to 75C.

3 Thanks

…Chinese datasheets = writings on the wall.

1 Thank

They do tweak formulations and physical construction to obtain higher capacities and discharge rates. It is not therefor surprising that the operating temperature ranges could change as well.

But, yes, we have seen some manufacturers exaggerate. That is why I opened this thread to see if there was any hard data out there for real world performance.

Folks be a bit more understanding. Safety not guaranteed to all intrepid explorers. Sometimes in our quest for the brightest, we have to spread a little Lithium oxide across the yard. Besides as single cell applications resistance keeps us safe.

1 Thank

You can run then to 80 C sure but that’s the hard limit and danger zone. There is NO advantage to getting your li-ion batteries over 60 C other than stretching maximum current output. Even then, the voltage is sagging so bad under load that it gets pointless.

I’d say 70A is a very generous figure. These will be 40A cells for every application other than potentially destructive testing.

Mooch (the expert)…please test these!

According to his Patreon he already has been. I am not a member, I’ll just have to wait for him to post them for free somewhere.

I join mooches patreon. $2 a month.

Hope I don’t get in trouble for listing some of the information.

Preliminary test on September 4th he estimated 45A to 50A CDR.

On September 18th, Part 3 testing.

After 100 to 150 abusive Cycles there was no sign of the cell reaching its end life.

4% runtime loss after 150 cycles.He liked this.

He said data sheet guarantees 400 Cycles at 40 amp.

CDR results have remained the same since preliminary report.

He said final results will be done this weekend.

Another tester had disappointing abusive cycle life test results.

I won’t be doing this for each battery that comes out that’s only on the patreon. This is One and done.

1 Thank

40 Amp test Full load out in 6min and temperature 70C!

1 Thank