Excel XL830L Digital Multimeter $5.99 @Tmart (ended)

You don’t need order one as an additional step and cost.

Ordered one. So far I only have the small MM from fasttech.

Only 1 items for per person

Bought one a few months ago also from TMart. Price was a little higher than this (~$8?)
Very good. Works well for measuring battery voltage. never tried to measure current. But the probes are fairly thin.

Yeah, I'd expect cheap thin leads at this price and expect to replace them with better ones. I'm curious to see how it does with current measurements though.

This will replace my 20+ year old Elenco that I built in high school. Couple weeks ago I went to measure AC voltage in a wall outlet not realizing my dial was on resistance mode and burned something up. None of the resistance modes work, but it still measures voltages (if set to the right setting of course!). DOH! 20+ years of using a meter I built myself (from an electronics kit) and I go and do something stupid like that!

-Garry

thanks for the link, purchased to replace the horrid CT Motomaster cheapie I have been trying to use this last while.

That was much more than a meter. My heart goes out to you for the loss.

Anybody hazard to guess how this meter stacks up against the cheapo - often free - Harbor Freight meter?

I have many of the Harbor Freight ones, they are OK. The biggest problem with them is the rotary switch and the leads. Other than that they are pretty accurate. The Velleman I had (same as this one) was a step up, was back lit and the test leads were good enough to actually use it to measure currents of 3-4 amps.

$6 for this DMM is a great price! there should be nothing to think about, even if you already have a nice meter, this makes a good back up.

I ordered one, too. Always nice to have a spare, or sometime handy to have two or three for the same build…Thanks for the Heads-Up

For what I use dmm’s for (voltage, resistance, current etc) there is nothing better than FREE. Except of course, another free unit!

The only reason I would get this is it looks much more like a “good” dmm. :smiley:

And so far none of the stuff I use a dmm for seem to care. :wink:

I would expect it to be WAY better. I have a couple of those HF meters and they what've been worthless for current measurements. My two disagree on voltage by a few hundredths of a volt, but deemed acceptable. There was a post showing how to calibrate their voltage just a few days ago.

I also bought the more expensive one from HF on PilotPTK's recommendation (rebranded Mastech with temperature & lux readings), but it's too cheap feeling for me. The leads don't "lock-in" well at all (I took the first one back because the plug was too loose in the jack and test fitted every one on the shelf to get a decent one).

I don't expect this one to be highly accurate and great quality, but if it turns out that way great!

My Elenco was kinda cheap too (flimsy plastic housing) and the probes plastic had broke, but readings seemed good until recently. It sat for years with only occasional use.

-Garry

I was going to order 2 but only could get one. Thanks for the heads up. :wink:

Oh, see my old comparison post between my HF & Elenco meters with different leads measuring current.

I would definitely own something better if you want reasonable tailcap measurements. You'll just mislead others posting your readings.

-Garry

I only get $6.87 and only comes from US warehouse. It’s logical since it is more expensive to ship from US to international. I think the main warehouse is probably sold out on this item.

Anyhow, don’t forget to use SUMMER coupon to get 5% off.

Thanks to all for the wise words in comparing to the HF meter, and to the OP. This one will be the main one instead of spare or backup.

You guys are animals! Out of stock now... I got 3 meters now, but I know I could use one more - well, maybe?

I had 1 in my cart from the US Warehouse for 5.94, I just went back to it and it is now 9.94!

They actually went into my shopping cart and switched the price!

and the international warehouse price is $10.02

Hey, you know what it's like around here when someone posts a good deal! You snooze you lose!

-Garry

Seemed to recall reading the sale is good to something like Sept. 2.

Did anybody save the page?

[EDIT]

1. Sept.2 was referring to the Super hot sale on the labor day.

2. OP says the sale is good for 2 days on the 27th.
OP, where did you get that info?