fast review of the Lumintop Tool AAA

NOT happy!!! I very precisely and clearly specified that I wanted the 2 mode version and received the 3 mode one. It still is a nice light but not what I wanted!!! 42 long days of expectation, all for the 3 mode Tool… :_( I don’t think is worth to send it back, so I guess I’ll have to look for a used 2 mode version. Sorry for the rant but I’m so disappointed.

Thanks for the review. Is 1.5 lumens considered moonlight? I wish it was below 0.5. It’s a must have imho for such a small light.

In your experience is there that much difference between 0.5 and 1.5 lumen. Maybe its all the 18hour work days, or the fact that I’m getting older. I like 3lumen or so for my moonlight mode.

Got a 3-mode clicky from BG this week. 3-mode (med-low-hi) ... noticeable PWM on med and low, but otherwise a really nice light.

Forgot to mention it in this thread: two weeks ago I swapped in a LuxeonQ 3500K 80CRI led. I reflowed it on the original ledboard, sticked with the original driver and with a common alkaline it is now a back-up light in the small pocket of my jeans. The high setting dropped a bit to 80 lumen, but the tint is way more to my taste.

I was very surprised how easy it is to take it apart. May do a LED swap in the future, not sure if it is just an impression but as the light ran out of juice the tint seemed to get greenish. I might end up with a warmer one as well.

I got a Tool too last month.
Been EDCing it since then, very handy so far.
My impressions:
Clicky on it is kind of loud, if that matters to anyone.
Output on NiMh is very good and useable in my opinion
Level spacing is just right!
Tint is cool unfortunately (but not ugly-blue for that matter) and I really don’t like cool tints, so I’m going to swap emitter ASAP with a 5000k Nichia 219B… Hi-CRI EDC that is really portable… Yummy!

I’m very happy with the purchase.

Thanks for your nice review!

My first impressions with this light on 10440:

- Nice neutral tint

- More throw than olight i3s

- Output on high is impressive

- Output in different modes could be spaced better (low should be lower), maybe spacing on AAA is better.

- Very grippy due to knurling

• Can be used as following as well: loosen the head, press the tail button, you can now temporary switch it on/switch modes by pulling the head backwards, if you tighten the head it stays on (as you have pressed the tail button)

- This light would have been near perfect with mode memory.

I rate this light 4,5/5

Yup. The lack of mode memory or not being able to start on high was the only reason why this light is not in my collection

I have to say medium is quite close to high at short to medium distances. Only when shining far the difference is visible, yet not that big.

Does anybody have an estimated lumen for medium mode using 10440’s?

It is in post #2 :

i have this and i3s but i3s modes are better spaced. with 10440 the lumintop low mode is too much luminous….while the “moon” mode of i3s is a good low.

however, i would not use 10440 on these flashlights…… i am pretty sure they will be ruined. There is too much temperature using 10440. i just use 10440 on i3s because i use in my keychain and i like to IMPRESS people…… ehehehe but my preferred lumintoop is best used with nimh

Anybody got runtimes on those on an alkaline and a duracell?Thanks

I just got one of the new 3 mode ones from HKE, in contrast to the OP, the head is likely glued as it is impossible to get it apart.

EDIT: Phew, got it apart! There is what appears to be a tiny amount of silicone sealant acting to give a decent amount of resistance to the pill being turned out.

Oh, no!! :-(

No Nichia 219C upgrade. :_(

perhaps with some heat&force the pill goes??

Sorry people, false alarm! They put a little bit of silicone sealant on the threads which makes turning them quite hard without the right tools. I got it open after I found a better tool to put in the holes in the driver and to twist with force. Nichia 219C here we come!