fast review of the Lumintop Tool AAA

Anyone know how the tool compares to the Hugsby XP-1 as far as brightness goes? Also, is the clip pretty sturdy? I need a multi mode aaa with a sturdy clip for ball cap headlight duty. Was using the Maratac for many years but the clip is garbage so I switched to the Hugsby but I’m missing the 3 modes of the Maratac.

I do not use clips, so I can not comment on real-world functionality, but the clip of the Tool seems adequate to me, not overly stiff but springy enough to stay clamped well.

I can’t compare it to the XP-1 as I don’t own one, but as far as the clip goes I was very pleased with mine. Never used it as you intend to but I never felt like it was in danger on uncliping itself from my pocket.

Please keep us posted! I’m really enjoying my new Lumintop Tool, and I have a couple of 219C emitters on the way from Mountainelectronics, this could be my first flashlight mod.

I will try to take some beamshots for you tonight when it is dark.

Here are a few for now, will update later (first attempt at beamshots and embedding images so please bear with me)

Same settings for all photos, just different shutter speeds.

XP-1 (NiMH), mousover for Lumintop Tool on High mode (NiMH). 1/20th shutter speed

XP-1 (NiMH) vs Tool on high (NiMH), 1/80th shutter

XP-1 (NiMH) vs Tool on high (NiMH), 1/320th shutter

Bonus comparison: Lumintop Tool high (NiMH) vs Lumintop Tool high on Efest 10440 IMR, 1/1000th shutter

Thanks for taking the time snor!!! Very cool way to compare beams! Looks like the tool is just as bright with a much wider pattern which would be perfect for my bow hunting adventures. I like to use an aaa clipped to my ball cap when walking in and out of the woods instead of a headlamp. Been hunting the last 10 days and have noticed the XP-1’s beam is definitely to tight for my use.

On my light the clip seems to detach from the light too easily. The placement is also pretty bad, almost in the middle of the light. Material of the clip and tension seem really good tho.

Correct. The tool has a brighter flood and the hotspot is also slightly bigger although dimmer on NiMH. It's difficult to see the edge of the Tool's flood on the photo but you can see it near the corners of the white wall. I did a quick test the other day and my runtimes (NiMH) were as follows: XP-1 = 70 min vs Lumintop Tool on high = 50 min. The tint is definitely better on the Tool and the beam profile is more useful in my opinion.

Can't really comment on the clip but it's easier to remove than on the XP-1 but I doubt it will be an issue with careful use.

I never had any problem with the clip detaching the light, but I totaly that the placing is really bad. If it was a 2xAAA I think it would be less of a problem but as is there is a lot of material that sticks out of the pocket.

Don’t have a XP-1, but do know that the clip that comes with the 3-mode batch is very sturdy.

These lumintop tools appear to be a newer version with 3 modes, no pwm.

MEDIUM (picture below)

LOW (picture below)

HIGH (picture below)

In case anyone wondered, the clips on the newest version of the Tool are somewhat softer than the old version. I just got the newest one in the mail - with the rabbit logo - and compared it to the old one.

Interesting, can you confirm that PWM is gone? Does Efest 10440 still work?

Where and when did you guys buy them from? I ordered a couple more from GB somewhere late in October while it was on discount.

i can confirm they use a new driver without (noticeable) PWM :slight_smile:

Would that have been the good vibes that Rey is putting into Lumintop?

Definitely PWM, but it’s only noticbable on low when you are testing for it and really want to find it. Medium and high seem to be pretty high frequency. The most recent purchase was delivered last month.

Not sure where to post this, has anyone modded a Tool to use a 219C yet? Would it work well? Djozz?

No, I haven't, but since the Tool uses a boost driver, the 219C with its very low Vf will work very well: good output for most of the battery drain. The only problem I can think of is when you use a 10440 cell (which will cause the driver to work direct drive), the current could be too high for the either the driver or the switch to survive.

Just to clarify, this is a 3rd version? And is there any aftermarket clips for it? It would be a pity if the copper ones came with the buttery clip.

OK I lied. I accidentally picked up my old one last night and checked it. I will have to check the new one tonight.