Fireflies emitter runtime/efficiency testing?

Anyone doing emitter runtime and efficiency testing on the new FF emitters? I am curious to see how they stand ip to the SFT40 or the 519a.

1 Thank

I tested the new E07X with the 519a and the ffl351a and there’s a difference. From the testing…the 519A seems to perform similarly to the 519, but it edges it out on output, but it seems to have a higher Vf. Also much more rosy vs. The 5000k 519, and a very slight edge in beam distance, but only slightly and not really enough to makw a difference.

To be clear there are two emitters we’re talking about, right? The FFL351A and FFL505A? The former is 3535 footprint and more comparable to say a 519A. The latter is a round die 5050 more like the various Yinding round die 5050, but we’d also want to know how it stacks up against an SFT40.

I have a few of the FFL505A. Unfortunately I have no testing equipment. On lower currents they are pretty rosy. As current increases they seem to get cooler and duv rises, but I wouldn’t say they are objectionable (and I hate green tints).

I don’t yet have an SFT40 3000K to compare to. I imagine the SFT40 5000K would outperform them. I do have an SFT40 5000K but not in a similar host. The 5000K is unsurprisingly cooler.

Here’s a little more info from my experiences. I’d love to see some actual tests, but I’m quite pleased with the FFL505A.

I am wondering where it fits in here. At least with the FFL351. The FFL505 competes with the the SFT40 and the YinDing. The SFT40 3k loses about 75% efficiency over the 5/6k version being high CRI and a warmer CCT. The 3k and the FFL505 seem like nice emitters but have limited application is what I would want them in, kinda like the 219b.

I think you mistyped. The FFL351 seems to outperform the 519a in the e07x?

Fair point about your use case. People like me in search of the best “warm, hi cri thrower” LED (knowing inherent limitations of that) are going to be really interested in seeing how the FFL505A compares with SFT40 3000K.

I though about ordering some FFL351A, but IMO they would need to be something really special to beat the 519A.

I am referring to the 3535 size led, not the 5050 size.

Not mistyped. The ffl351a outperformed the 519a 5000k R9080, but it’s such a small difference that you’d never notice it unless looking at graphs measuring instruments. We’re talking abiut +150 or 200 lumens at start and maybe 20 meter of beam distance. Nonetheless, it is a very slight edge to the ffl351a.

Also, Fireflylite informed us that the optic on the sample light (and probably others) turned out to not be optimized for the ffl351a (no explanation other than a ‘focusing issue’) and they’re sending me another to test. The review hasn’t been published yet, but that correction will be noted.

1 Thank

Unless you like rosier tints, the ffl351a doesn’t offer much over the 519a. It’s a 3800K led with a high R9 value. The closest comparison would be a sst20 FA3 or fa4 in 4000k 95 cri. I actually like the tint from the 4500k/5000k 519a, but that’s personal preference for cooler tints.

1 Thank

You wrote: the 519 seems to preform similarly to the 519a but it edges it out in performance… I was just trying to clarify you meant the FFL505a slightly outperforms the 519a.

3 Thanks

Might be true but it is something new to experiment with. I never loved the SSt20 because I never had a good bin of it. It always looks lemongrass colored to me. There can only be so many 519a lights before you want to mix it up a bit.

My reivews of the new E07x and others are being published on 1Lumen today, in case you’re interested in some tests with the various LEDs.

5 Thanks

I finally got some FFL505A.
I reflowed one. They are REALLY rosy. Besides that, they look like known ‘Yinding 5050 egg-yolk’. On weekend I hope to get results.

If rosy tint is preferred, they could be one-of-a-kind LEDs with high luminance and guaranteed rosy warm white tint.

1 Thank

I got mine, too. Do you still want the 3535 for testing?

Is there also a custom-made 3535 variant with same advantages (rosy tint, round die/high luminance) around? If so, I am very interested (the ‘YLX 3535’ was not the greatest LED in terms of tint).

I think that’s the ffl351a. I reviewed the E07x with those LEDs. They’re like xp-l HI, so domeless, but the whole die is covered with phosphor. They are very rosy also and have decent luminence (more than the 519a) and output for a 95+ cri LED. I’d liken them to a FA3 or FA4 sst20 in terms of tint.

1 Thank

If you want I can test them too, but I think not in the next weeks since I having some tests in pipeline…

Hello, does it outperform a domed 519a or a dedomed one? If a domed one then i think it’s worthy.

If you mean the FFL351A I will test them in the next two weeks. I am getting some from a member of German flashlight forum TLF

4 Thanks

Yes. Since dedoming is popular with 519a at the expense of some lumen, if it outperform a domed 519a…
I have 10 ffl351a just arrived, maybe interesting to make a mule.