FIX THE MOBILE BROWSER ISSUE

I live on mobile every weekend. I for one would love to see Taptalk here!

[quote=raccoon city…… [/quote]

Hahah can’t stop laughing…

No problems on Apple Safari on my iPhone. Maybe it’s just a Google thing :wink:

For what it’s worth, I have no problems using my phone here, I have no interest in tapatalk, and I don’t think we need to change anything.

If you’re using an android with Chrome browser, you can switch to desktop mode and the double words and crazy type stops.

I would like some kind of mobile browser I think… just to avoid zooming. But… BLF works just fine, and is reasonably fast on safari ios 8.4 on my iPhone 5s. I don’t really NEED a mobile version.

There is nothing for sb56637 to fix. BLF looks fine on on my Android tablets and phone when using Chrome. I think the Android people with problems needs to tap Google Play Store and update all of their apps once in a while.

The Apple folks who are having problems should do the equivalent (Apple App Store?) of what’s available in their walled garden.

There are other mobile browsers you can use too. Firefox (Android only), Puffin, Lightning, ect.

“There’s nothing to fix because it works fine for me!” :slight_smile:

The fact that it works fine for so many people, but doesn’t work for a few other people, tells me that even though something may need to be fixed, there is nothing that sb needs to fix because the problem is external to this site.

I use firefox on my mobile and it works fine.

So basically there are two issues here:

1. Mobile usability — The site should “work” on pretty much any mobile browser for browsing around and you should be able to post as well. But although it works, it’s just not very convenient since the current design is not “responsive” i.e. it doesn’t fully adapt to your device’s screen size. I’ll eventually be forced to update to a newer version of Drupal (which this site runs on) at which point I’ll look for responsive themes. Tapatalk doesn’t support Drupal, and ideally I would like to offer a native HTML/JS version of the site that adapts to smaller screens, which is definitely feasible with modern web standards. (Try my BudgetAndroidForum.com site on a mobile device, it actually feels like a native app. Super impressive.)

2. Text input — As someone mentioned, the “Simple Post Editor” is usually much more reliable on mobile devices. It should work on pretty much any decent mobile browser on any reasonably modern device.

3. Ok, so actually there’s a 3rd related issue. There’s always a certain percentage of users that are still using a very old version of Internet Explorer, either by choice or by force on a computer they don’t control. Specifically, IE 6, 7, 8 are unfortunately still being heavily used, and even IE 9 is getting old and quirky. I would switch to a newer forum software with better features, but most of the ones I like (such as what I run on my aforementioned BudgetAndroidForum.com site) opt for clean code that only runs on modern browsers, thereby avoiding the trial-and-error and dirty hacks involved in supporting the old and creaky IE versions. BLF is currently compatible with pretty much everything, and I definitely don’t want to kick any of our users to the curb just because they’re stuck on an old IE version. So it’s kind of a delicate balance between functionality and compatibility.

Can’t you see the bug here? All you need to do is debug.

OOPS! I may have killed the bug. It’s not moving any more.

I like the “clean look” and simplicity of BLF. And it works great for me desktop and mobile alike.

……plus, the users [and site manager] are a little more laid back than some other forums……

The whole site is geared towards 1% of its users? Occupy BLF lol!

I can’t Occupy BLF any more than I already do!

BLF works pretty well on every device I’ve tried, including old or “web 1.0” browsers. I find it to be a great feature that it works even when javascript is completely disabled and that it doesn’t use much CPU or drain my battery.

Switching to another system would be a huge project, would likely cause technical and social issues, and the end result might not even be any better. Like, it’s pretty questionable whether phpBB would be an upgrade.

I never use BLF on mobile… am I helping?

… plus, I really like some of BLF’s unique features such as being able to use a subset of raw HTML/CSS in posts. It allows more flexibility in the presentation, like adding a secondary avatar on some posts for expressive purposes. For example…

Gol-darn whipper-snappers. Get your tapatalk off my lawn!

Don’t you go uprooting our forum architecture, young man. BLF is good the way it is!

I really, really hope people don’t mind when I do this. I think it’s a fun way to add humor once in a while and keep things playful, but I’ll totally knock it off if it’s a bother.

BTW, it sounds like newer versions of Drupal may support Tapatalk, which seems like a nice potential upgrade someday. I just like to joke about it and hope that upgrades won’t break anything important. Our friendly admin has been pretty awesome about keeping the site working though, so I’m not worried. :slight_smile:

I find it entertaining. I can’t see (& don’t want to see) how anyone could be bothered by it.