FREEME ✌ ASTROLUX FT03S SFH55 9300lm & FT03 SFT40 2200lm 1300m NarsilM v1.3 USB-C - ALIVE

Where do you see those for sale?

My hometown dealer Liionwholesale is the Only USA authorized distributor of Molicel.

He has the:

Molicel/NPE INR-18650-P26A - The best high amp 18650 battery cell
Molicel/NPE INR-20700A - Great high power 20700 battery cell at low price
Molicel/NPE INR-21700-P42A - The best 21700 battery cell that offers cutting edge high power and high capacity

I made a new tailcap current measuring jig. Old one was hurting my hand to press into the battery.
14ga wire, a brass washer, a plastic thingy I had lying around, a spring, and a brass button.

Measuring current at the tailcap

I got the following:

Natural white, unmodified light.

shocklii 26650 @ 4.2v right off charger 8.62a (turbo)

sofirn 21700 @ 4.2v right off charger 9.01a (turbo)

40T @ 4.2v right off charger 9.21a (turbo)

Additionally, put it back in the sphere and got 1,982lm at startup (1,762lm at 30s) with the sofirn.

Here’s my opinion as the most comparable sized light I had prior to the ft03

Astrolux ft03 compared to Convoy L2

Although the l2 has an LD-A4 in it with a white flat. It does 464kcd compared to the 217k that the ft03 does

Thanks,CW or NW?

Tested freshly charged 50E and still seeing ~1750 lumens (NW version) at startup. My limited 30T use has not damaged anything that I can tell.

Nw, added to my post too.

Thanks and you have to be right according to physics :wink: . I’m just trying to understand the magnitude of current that actually passes through the emitter. Is it 99.9, 99, or 90%?

At the numbers we’ve seen, I was doubtful that the SST-40’s would survive. Current doesn’t disappear, of course, but it does take alternate paths, where available. I can accept that driver current losses are perhaps so minimal as to be irrelevant, though, if that’s the case.

It’s hard to understand how anyone here could be measuring more than ~9.2A without burning the bond wires within a minute or two. koef3 had the test emitter on a fan-cooled heat sink, so in an actual flashlight the temperature should rise further and faster. However, we don’t actually know the current with the tail cap installed. (nkresho’s rig surely comes close)

Still, as pointed out by others, no one here has burned an emitter… yet. Maybe it’s inevitable?

Yes, koef3’s tests were on an earlier run of emitters, but could they substantially improve the bond wire capacity without a redesign? If improvements were made, the product page and datasheet would surely show higher limits. They continue to sell these as 5A emitters.

As noted by koef3 in the test, the SST-40-W datasheet is still labelled “Preliminary” and is dated 2015, so Luminous doesn’t care so much about product information. As others have stated, there’s still no part numbers for temps below 6500K in the datasheet. As nothing’s changed in the document, the datasheet still lists 5000mA as the maximum.

After APPLYING my quote,“Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity.”

It is quite apparent to me at this point in the “FT03” BLF testing and speculation history, that it is a NO BRAINER in terms of what battery to use.

That battery would be the OEM PLB-55A cell. The re wrapped Orbtronic/Shockli 26650 20A 5500mAh cell. The KP version is way over priced.

1.Why would one want to use the 30T/40T or P42A when several gentlemen[use that term loosely] have tested and shown that there is NO increase in output when using them.Actually can DECREASE the output.,

When Kawiboy tested: “When I tested the 30T it actually lost out put from too much current 9-9.4 seems to be the max before output drops from over current on my FT03.”

2.There is also belief that these high current batteries can/may fry the emitter.

It could not be more clear to me at this point. Maybe when Tom E. and some others get their lights, they may get different results. But I DOUBT it.

Tomorrow morning I take that vigorous 0.9 mile hike to Liionwholesale and exchange my 2 X Molicel P42A . NEVER used in a light, Only a capacity test. Jon will graciously refund me as he always has! :smiley:

Someone needs to retest a 2019 SST40 so we can put an end to this confusion.

i am new to this how do i order and get promo code???

Freeme, or maybe someone here, will PM you the store link and the coupon code to get the group buy price.

Finally got some movement on one of the FT03's - it landed at JFK. Heh - I don't really mind burning out a SST-40 in the name of science. So I'll probably add bypasses, maybe up the AWG of the LED wires, measure amps, and try a 30T or P42A.

That nkresho rig you got there is an outstanding job!!

It's been bugging me. If the NW passes, I should try an older CW.

The NW option is out of stock, and BG doesn’t allow me to pre order, they pre-order button grey out

Maybe you should save the NW led since they are hard/impossible to find in case you fry it(I like the tint on mine, wish I had a spare NW) and test it with a CW sst-40

yeah probably due to the high interest they cant keep up the demand, so just gotta wait a few weeks until they got more in stock i guess… cool white is possible pre order tho for now it seems…

Production lights have shipped. There is no more “pre order”.

Sweet i just bought a cold white last night i wanted the NW but there was no option to buy one. Probably put a XPG2 in mine.

Ok. I took a look and the button still says Pre-Order for me on the website, but the pre-order count is reset to 0 (was 1186 last I looked). The CW pre-order button is active and claims a ship date of April 14, but the NW button is grayed out and the ship date is “Sold Out”.

The item page has had status changes before and once it even stopped saying “pre-order” anywhere on the page, but the next day it went back to pre-order status and the count re-appeared.

However, since the last quoted pre-order ship date was April 9, I would expect the pre-order status to disappear entirely. Some lights have still not shipped and the ones that did have seemed to ship in random order (lights ordered in late March shipped before or simultaneously with some in mid-February :frowning: ).

I’m not sure how many of the ~1200 pre-order lights have shipped, but mine hasn’t and I’m not the only one. An order made a week after mine has reportedly shipped, but we know how strange Banggood’s ordering system is; it sometimes claims an order has shipped today only to change the date to tomorrow and then to the next day.

Don’t be confused by Banggoods weird terminology.

I’m sorry, I mixed things up.
What I meant was A123 26650.

Received my 2 NW FT03 today :partying_face:

This is such a great light for the money, incredible.

The tint is too greenish for my taste but it’s ok, i’ll try to do some beamshots tonight, here it is next to it’s little sibling the FT02.