FS: Copper "BIG RET" S2+ triple heatsinks [Closed]

Do you have anymore Triple S2+ w/ screws in stock? Looking for 2.

I’d like an X5 if you make em.

Interested in screw type triple heatsink if you make more…

I will be doing a large batch of S2+ triples here shortly.

I intend to omit the solder provisions on the “screwdriver” version since they are not really necessary and take extra time and add wear to more tools. The driver pocket will be only .150” deep, making for a very solid pill. The triple version will have a shelf over 13mm thick. I will add slightly more tolerance to the thread (~.001” reduction of the pitch diameter) since it is such a long thread and I want to avoid issues.

The next version of the solderable heatsinks will feature an “air gap” bevel cut. I will make these cuts however extreme they need to be so that it is easily solderable. The shelf will be ~5.75mm thick, having a .150” deep pocket as well.

I think I may just order an X5. Also a XinTD C8.

I’m in for an S2+ triple heatsink.

The old, pill version of the thorfire C8 is on sale for $15.99. I believe it is exactly the same as the convoy.

Yes I believe you are right Will. That would be the version to get right now if you want to make a copper pill C8 beast. Actually, that pill is not exactly the same as the Convoy C8 V2, but it the head might be exactly the same, meaning my pill may fit. Guess I’ll have to buy one and see….

I will be making the pocket under the driver only .150” deep on the C8 pill as well, and adding screw retention. Should be able to use 2-56 sized screws in this case rather than 0-80.

Seems the new Thorfire C8s does not have a removable pill after all.

Is this for a version without the driver socket head screws? Personally, an extreme bevel cut sounds, undesirable. :confused: I’d rather keep it strong. The screws look to be enough for good contact and if you want more, a good solution imo might be a very short ground wire which is clamped under the screw head.

@Everyone: Is anyone looking to solder the driver into Hoop’s pill? Maybe a poll?

If I continue to offer a “solder only” version, with no screws, I plan on making the “thinning cuts” more extreme so that it is easier to solder. The version with the screws will be losing the solder provision cuts entirely. That’s the plan, since those cuts are not necessary on the screw version.

subscribed

Perhaps you missed the fact that the entire pill is solid except just a couple tiny slivers at the bottom edge which are being cut into thin bridges so that the driver can be soldered to them, to retain the driver. What sounds undesirable about that to you? There shouldn’t be any stress on those places, so no need to be strong. But, if you want, you could still solder (if possible) to the thick, solid sides on the perpendicular. Just because the cut-outs will be there doesn’t mean you have to use them.

The solderable pill would certainly be my preference if I were buying.

Make a solid copper or aluminum Convoy S3 head with a integrated shelf that is thick enough for triples and has the external fins from the Convoy S8. We go to all this trouble to make spacers and pills when the answer is right there in front of us, if the spacer, pill and head were all one piece, the heat transmission would be far better.

I’d love to get one of these made, but I’m not sure what the process would be for a one off.

That’s how the A6 differs from the convoy S-series.

Yesterday I used the S2+ Screwdriver Versions I got the other day. They work like a dream, simple and to the point!
I’ll probably try the ‘ring version’ and the ‘solder version’ just to check them both out, but they would be hard pressed to outdo the “screwdriver version” as far as I am concerned.
Extraordinary workmanship ‘Hoop’!!!

:slight_smile:

Not entirely. If you want to make a triple you still need a spacer to raise the LED to the right height for the optics and to provide better heatsinking, and it looks like this:

What I am proposing is to integrate the spacer into the head, which on the latest version of the S3 could be accomplished by milling out less material from the head and drilling a single center hole rather than the normal 2, which would look like this:

Then you could also add some external fins (like the S8) which would give you this:

A dedicated Convoy head for triples, all one unit so no need for thermal paste or solder, plus increased surface area for getting rid of a little more heat. Made out of aluminum or copper and it would be an improvement on the current setups.

Something I would love to get made but I don’t have the skills to design properly or make myself.

I really love the idea of a dedicated copper head for the S2+, but it wouldn’t make much sense to just use the stock body and tailcap, if someone is willing and able to fabricate a copper head he might as well go a full light in host form.

Honestly I would be interested in seeing just a one-off made from copper for personal use. However making it from aluminum would be cheaper, could also be anodized (negating the need to make a full host) and afaik would be almost as good as copper for heat transfer.

Why don’t you buy a copper Sinner host? Or a copper Astrolux SC and put one of my copper pills in it? (haven’t designed that one yet)

If you want a custom head made all it takes is money. I get PM’s about custom parts but no one really wants to pay for the stuff.

Any news in “international shipping” sector?
I “need” one (maybe two) S2+ triple pill…

It’s definitely doable. Should cost between $20 to $28 to anywhere in the world.