FT Generic EA4

yeah... I could have known the answer....pfff.. its the same as on my EA8...

Looks like I might be cancelling my order before it ships out. If you have to cycle through all the modes then it's a complete and worthless waste of money. Especially since I already have a D40A which is totally kick-ass!! Even a real EA4 can't compare to it. Would have loved one for $35 though but not with this UI. :(

Just cancelled my order. Bummer. Oh, and thanks, ezarc! :)

No problem, I would have done the same.

I cant see myself keeping either of these ones that I have, but its my fault for jumping the gun and assuming they were unbranded EA4’s from the same factory.

So, Ezarc, how good/bad are they when compared to each other, the 30$ vs 35$?

And why not keeping them, is it because of tint, modes?

They are both pretty much the same but I haven’t taken the $35 one apart, the $30 one come with slightly corroded terminals, its held together with masking tape and has poor heatsinking.

There is a mini review of it here:

Hi all, a question or advice if anyone can help me please. I received the $30 light. I have tried 2 different sets of rechargeable batteries in this light, but it will not switch on. When using alkaline batteries, it comes on no problem. Is this normal? If not, what do you think the problem could be? Can it have anything to do with exceeding the output current limit of 2600 ma when using rechargeables?( Not sure exactly how the current use works, doesn’t the light just draw what it needs?)
Thanks

Hey flitsmal, fellow Saffer here, what part of SA are you in?
It’s possible the light is pulling too much on old batteries and the voltage is dropping way below 1.2V
PM me if you are in Cape Town , perhaps I can help as I have good testers etc, and good batteries (also an excuse to see the $30 light) my $35 still hasn’t arrived , I swear those SARS palukas are drooling over my package, it arrived in SA a week ago!

Hi Bergtjie, sorry boet, I’m in Pta…

Yes, it takes around 5 days or so to get through airport customs, but I find once out of there I receive pretty fast. (Not sure if u use 17 track and ems.sapo online, awesome tracking tools :bigsmile: )
My rechargeables are good, use eneloop, in fact the voltages of the alkalines I used were down to 1,1v, which was worse than both sets of rechargeables, 1.4 v, and yet they switched the light on, which was puzzling to me…. Hence I thought it maybe has something to do with the current…
The light has a nice looking quality finish, and it throws a nice hotspot, but is not as bright on alkaline as the ultra fire 3aa sh is on rechargeables…. I doubt the 860 lumen claim, as the 3aa sh is rated 800….
Hope your light comes soon…

Ahh, bit far hey, I don’t normally bother tracking once it’s in SA, most times the parcel arrives in 2 –4 days locally, once I received it in less than 10 days total.
Odd problem with your new light, just took a look at my Ea4 design , is it possible you have corrosion somewhere on the springs/contacts?

To confirm my $35 light eventually arrived and also doesn’t switch on with NiMh , runs fine on AA lithiums
Any bright ideas from the forumites?
I think as Ezarc mentioned , this will be gifted to some friend of mine that loves AA Duracell batteries.

Comparison with my EA4
The body is identical , the internal metal finish is not so great , it scratches the NiMh batteries I inserted,

The tint is cooler than my CW EA4, in fact my EA4 appears warm , ceiling bounce is identical, I’m assuming true 860 lumens as indicated at FT.

Bergtjie, can you possibly take it apart and comment on build quality?

Have you taken 35$ apart :D?

Question - hows the tint between 30$ and 35$?
35$ seems to have real cool white tint, cooler than EA4 CW, as Bergtjie has stated, so Im wondering how the 30$ lights tint stacks up against 35$ ligts tint :D!

Yes i’ve taken the front apart , here is a pic

Dropbox can be a bear to post images from. Here is your pic:

Thanks, Johnny
Was doing this on the iPad , then tried the PC, but you had fixed it already

We’re did I go wrong?

They have no clear way to link an image without loading a Dropbox page around it. I opened the page source code and extracted the file location. Once I had that I could post a direct link.

Thanks will remember for next time, perhaps I must use the drop box public folder instead

I’ve just noticed the emitter star is actually loose , floating on thermal paste, and the plastic collar is tight , so to remove the collar is a little tricky?
Ideas anyone to remove the collar?

None of your links work, I always use Imageshack and post direct link, always worked fine ;)!

I opened up DL link in separate tab and it worked.

Looks like build quality is as poor as in the 30$ model.

I think the two lights are junk, unless a modder has some insight to change the driver and get away from a useless UI and the fact it won’t run on NiMh batteries.

I might just keep mine as spares for my EA4.