FW3A Troubleshooting / FAQ

Hi all

I'd like to set the Party Strobe to a specific frequency. How would folks recommend I do that? I'm looking for 40Hz.

And I know there are limitations to accuracy and consistency for this kind of setting, but close to 40Hz will be close enough! :)

Many thanks,

-Ben

set that up so it flashes 40x/second

get rid of the glow and blend options, change the colors to black and whiteā€¦(or whatever)

just the flash timing is what matters

try and adjust light to thatā€¦

maybe computer screen in a darkroom, lighting up the wallā€¦adjust flashlight to sync

I shut off 6 of the color choices and chose one black and one white for most flash contrast

Wow, GREAT REPLY, friend!! Worked perfectly. I used my phone to flash at 40Hz, then ramped the light back and forth until the flash from my phone became a solid white light when the FW3A shone on it.

I'll try it again on my comp to make sure the flash rate is set correctly. But it all was amazingly simple.

Thanks SO much Man Without Shadow! :) :) :)

-Ben

Since there's no way to directly set the flash Hz; and this solution is so elegantly simple; I propose it be added to the FAQ.

Thoughts? Thanks! :)

-Ben

Thanks for the gracious shout-out!

What kind of phone do you have? Is it using an Android app, a flashlight with configurable strobe?

Yeah, Im curious how it is done too? And why 40Hz?
MoodLight - Free Online Strobe/Disco/Party/Mood Light That is neatā€¦ā€¦

I actually just went to the website MWS referenced in his post. The settings on the website are very intuitive, and I just set it up to flash my phone's display between black and white at 40Hz. Then,played with the Disco Mode flashing speed until the display on my phone appeared constant (in my case it was white).

It's an amazingly simple solution, I love those types of fixes! :)

-Ben

Oh absolutely! Gotta give credit where it's due, and gotta holler to others about solutions that are so simple and elegant :)

The 40Hz comes from a study that showed in mice with Alzheimer's disease, the 40Hz flashing light helped "reverse" temporarily some of the major effects. There's a podcast about it somewhere out there, I'm hoping Google will turn it up.

So, trying some preventative maintenance on the ol' noggin here ;)

Ah, silly me, I was thinking you were using the LED on your phone, not your phone display.

:FACEPALM: Yeah, makes perfect sense to just go to the site with your mobile phone browser. ;)

Here is an Android app for a phone strobe.

not sure how helpful online strobes are, but at least can give an idea what you are hoping to seeā€¦though I find watching two strobes at the same time a poor way to achieve accuracy.

It would be better to have something spinning at some measured speed and strobe thatā€¦like a fan bladeā€¦

Searching for an app to measure strobe hzā€¦something that might measure hz if you flashed it into the cameraā€¦

Thatā€™s interesting. Im going to look into it but PM me if find any additional info. I am beginning to show signs myself plus suffer from CTE. :weary:

Same for me, my original mail is from May 19th and no reply, also not to the followup.

Has anybody had chance in contacting Neal? I really love the design of the FW3A but would rather have a working flashlight.

If I donā€™t get any reaction I would consider using PayPal buyer protection, sadly.

Loosen the retaining ring and retighten and it works now. Thx guys for the help.

This is quite the finicky flashlight design.

Glad itā€™s all working now.

@ Atom00
Excellent!! Glad things are working nowā€¦ :+1:

If I may, I think it more a case of, this high-precision-build light doesn't lend itself easily to mass production, especially if the goal of production is quantity over quality/good QC.

It seems like the problems we are seeing are mostly the results of assembly errors on the part of the manufacturer.

My $0.02 :)

-Ben

Iā€™m having an issue where the light flickers like crazy. Itā€™s like it gains and loses 10% of its brightness a few times a second. It also takes almost a full second to turn off after hitting the button. Has anyone seen any issues like this?

I ordered glow gaskets from Neal on May 22nd paid for expedited shipping and order is still shows unfulfilled. Nothing from Neal, have several projects that are at a standstill waiting to get finished.