GB BLF LuckySun D80-SE Need long tubes? -3/3/16

+1

You didn’t catch it because it’s not very obvious. I’m sitting here with the light in my hand and I know it has pwm. I can see it if I point it at my ceiling fan, for instance. But just pointing it at the wall I can’t detect a thing. So for me, I don’t care one bit if it has pwm as long as I can’t see it, and I can’t see it in this light. The A6 mentioned above has pwm too, can’t see it either. Good enough. I’m happy.

Seems like it is only a problem in the lower modes. On high, when the insect (moth?) briefly flies through the scene at the 1:44 mark, there’s not a trace of PWM.

My two arrived today. They work, sort of. I had to use a wire to bypass the switch as the tube is too short to handle a protected cell- at least any that I own. That’s a bit of a bummer. I don’t remember reading that cell length would be an issue, but I may have missed or forgotten it.

Just for my own enlightenment, would a tube long enough to accommodate a a protected cell prevent an unprotected one from working?

Anyway, as I was troubleshooting and generally going over the lights, I noticed that I can’t loosen either switch’s retaining ring. They are tighter than any I’ve ever seen.

All of that said, the fit and finish is excellent, even before you consider what we paid for them. Thanks to all involved.

No…not the point, and to my recollection, never stated as such.

Firstly, you don’t have to modify it. It is your choice.

Secondly, there is no “perfect” light. It does not exist, nor is it my desire to produce a light to this impossible standard.

No problem if you do not want the light/s. Just don’t purchase it/them. No one will force you to do so. This light was built to mostly be a pocket rocket anyway…so lower modes are for wimps. :wink:

Anyhow, this Group Buy is open now for the public, so anyone can purchase what you no longer want (1As and 3Cs). 5As will be available via PM code shortly, and any leftovers will be open to everyone else afterwards.

Cheers,
krono

Commented on in this review: Review: Lucky Sun D80 from GearBest (1x18650) Pic Heavy! (Outdoor Beam shots added)

Note: I haven’t heard any comments before about batteries not fitting.)

I dropped an LG MJ1 cell directly in mine when it came out of the box and it works great, but I thought I’d go back and try some protected cells since its come up. I can confirm that protected cells don’t fit. I tried mine with both a KeepPower 3400 (NCR18650B re-wrap) and an Olight 3600 (NCR18650GA re-wrap?) and neither make contact. Its fractions of a mm and that big brass button on the positive could easily be swapped or filed to make room, but they don’t fit out of the box. Honestly 10 seconds with a dremel and a grinding wheel would probably solve the issue, but its not a big deal for me because my MJ1 cell is going back in there.

YOU did not say it. But mattlward and bugsy36 did. Are you saying you did not say it so mattlward and bugsy36 did not say it either ???!!!

Anyway, were you aware of the PWM issue?

I do not think that anybody was "aware" because it is not as bad as people may think AND there was a video that according to Dale himself shows it even though he did not notice it....nor anybody else.

Who are you BS, the PWM police?

Were you aware of the PWM issue?

Sam - Kronos did say anything other than what he has always said. As for ME...I have a stock version of the D80 and if it has PWM I have never noticed it. Seeing that I do NOT have a BLF D80, I understand there may be differences. I do not know til I get them and do not care if there are because they are EASY fixes.

No. He was not "aware" so quit trying to back anybody into the proverbial corner. Why did you not see or notice, or anybody for that matter?

Could you detail the EASY fixes?

Wow, this light has PWM, that’s insanely disappointing, my eyes pick it up every time :frowning:

As requested....

1. Install a new driver (2 solder points)
  2. Emitter stays
  3. Reflector stays
  4. Switch stays
  5. Host stays

Nobody needs to get themselves psyched up UNTIL they get theirs in their hands, and Sam...since you are not on the list and you have not stated that you already have one...just do not buy one, really ;)

I’ve been absent for a while, but I ordered one of these the day I saw this thread and should be getting it soon. 20 bucks for this light and worst comes to worst, I have to swap out the driver? Not a problem! Thanks for setting up this buy, I can’t wait for mine to get here.

It is the same driver as the original D80 folks. We just made sure the amps were up where they were supposed to be.

That’s real EASY.

I have an older D80 and 2 samples here, the newest sample the one that came DHL Express just recently that I show in the video.

The driver is the same driver, same output, but with the UI better in our BLF version. On ours, it starts in Turbo. Zip PWM. None. That’s about as easy as it gets, turn it on, no pwm, no problem.

I’m not sensitive to it, the only times I’ve ever noticed PWM was a rare occasion where dust in the air from nearby road construction showed in intermittent bursts, I thought it was pretty cool. I’ve heard people say their eyes were sensitive to it and it bothered them, for those, this one might cause issues in the lower range of the UI. I can’t hear it making any noise like the old HD2010 drivers used to do, but there it is.

I think Banggood is selling the A6 driver for about $5 or something, so in a worst case scenario a replacement driver would bump the cost to the ~$25 range and it’d be even more awesome than it already is. Still a great deal from my viewpoint. And yeah, that’s about as easy as it gets in this game. People here have been swapping drivers to get rid of unwanted blinkies since I joined some 3 years ago. Heck, even I learned how to do it!