GB Oficially closed/// Maxtoch 2X Shooter (new version)

A plug for Richard’s site which Robo is quoting, in case Sirius or others don’t know, it’s Mountain Electronics, MtnElectronics.com: active forum member and high-quality, highly respected stateside niche shop. Mtn was the first site where I learned about Maxtochs, reading the very quote above.

For purposes of a successful group buy, I would like to see some focus from the developers (or anyone else) on how well this light can be for regular forum members - not hunters. I mean everyone: general flashlight enthusiasts. I think there has been too much enough focus on the whole hunting part, considering this is a group buy thread, and most people will not be hunters, but who will be curious, and will want to know: “What’s this light going to do for ME?”. I think answering that proactively/successfully is key to the group buy. The fact is, while specialize, it’s still a flashlight in a very recognizable format. While it was made with certain performance goals in mind, the benefits which come from it can benefit most in this forum.

For instance: no flashy modes, just a straightforward H-M-L with memory. A lot of people like that. Basically, making the case for non-hunters… I think that case is strong. But considering the name of this forum and the price point of this light, no matter how high quality, the case must be made for many to drop that cash. I mean, Mr. Admin originally opened this forum because (in a nuthshell) he wanted to discuss $5 AA lights, let’s face it. (In addition to escaping the very real tyranny and elitism of CPF, of course.) People like me have never spend this much on a light, but were waiting for the right (convincing) deal to come along. Especially those of us without time (or perhaps skill or patience) for modding, but still want something which can go toe to toe with the the niche ‘modder’s specials’ out there.

I also think that even having the appearance of knocking anyone in this forum for not buying a light over $5 is a super-bad idea, and probably the pot calling the kettle black anyway. I mean, who on here HASN’T bough a light because they saved 5 bucks, or because it was 5 bucks cheaper than another light which was also nice? Who here would’ve bought a light at one time if it were 5 bucks less, but didn’t? Pretty much everyone here. To counter those who daftly boast that they’d be willing to pay full price in a group buy thread (and yet are still here anyway), I’ll back up Coscar: If this were 5 bucks more (which is the regular Ali price!), I wouldn’t buy it. Not because I don’t have 5 bucks, everyone just has to draw the line somewhere, right or wrong. The whole. Entire. Concept. of this group buy is actually to get people to buy the light—who wouldn’t otherwise—because they’d be saving… drum roll…. 5 bucks! I mean, the light is available right now. You can go order it, right now, for 5 bucks more. And some did (which might hurt the GB, but whatever). It’s not like the BLF A6, which simply would not have been made, at all, without the commitments. So yeah. Forming a group buy hoping to get extra buyers because they’ll save 5 bucks, then knocking those people for making purchase decisions over 5 bucks—really bad taste on this forum, and actually hypocritical. Every single freaking person signed up here, is here to save five bucks. LITERALLY. And everyone signed up here is willing to wait days—if not weeks—to save those 5 bucks! (I know—accessories—very good deal—but keeping my point simple.) So let’s make sure we have the right BLF tack here, not a less-evil version of CPF elitism and scoffspending. Coscar should not be the one apologizing, that starts to remind me of CPF right there: timid peons supplicating, apologizing, and justifying themselves at the feet of the master experts. But the fact is this thread was hinting in that direction long before that. Almost everyone who has asked a question has gotten “corrected”, even if that “correction” was missing the point, or despite the questioner clearly already understanding the point made by the “correction”. I could bring up more, it’s starting to bother me.

I don’t have any of the “CPF” type lights but I’m familiar with threading, machining, and production QC, and my MaxToch M24 Sniper is beyond reproach. Easily 95% of what is possible in a high- production factory anywhere, and that last 5% gain would double the cost of machining which is the largest cost in making things like lights. It’s the perfect balance point for premium machining at the lowest possible price.

I don’t need this light, I can’t justify buying one, but that’s not stopping me. Yes it’s a lot of $$$ but it’s more light for that money than you can get from anyone else which makes it a bargain.

Phil

[quote=

I don’t need this light, I can’t justify buying one, but that’s not stopping me.
Phil[/quote]

Hmmmmm I have about 30 in there I had the same thoughts on and that’s the ones I didn’t need , the rest of them I NEEDED :smiley:

Тhе reason why I expressed my concerns is because I received today one product from MaxToch, it is a first product that I bought from them and let’s just say that my first impressions were “not that great” but I will first have to speak with Amanda about it…

Sirius - if you’ve received a product that isn’t up to spec, email amanda straight away. In any production line there will always be the odd item that should not have passed QA. Have seen odd failures over the years but percentages very good. Contact Amanda at Maxtoch - their customer service is great.

From 4 years plus experience with Maxtoch and dealing with many hundreds of Maxtoch buyers in NZ I agree with Richard - the standard is very good. Would not have worked with them otherwise. If you look at their aliexpress market feedback ratings they are also high.

Brj - this is a designated hunter light. Its specs are well known, and it also has very good application as a general purpose outdoors torch. If it does not suit you that’s fine. Look at Olight, Fenix, Acebeam, Thrunite etc - they may have something better suited to your needs. There will be no changes in present 2X production runs.

brjones , it is not my intention to correct people but only to make a point clear if there is a misunderstanding of said point or if I see where it is maybe taken out of context. The thing with Coscar I think the air was cleared on and only one somewhat negative comment made towards that. If he apologized it was of his doing and he was not asked to do so by anyone that I am aware of. I made a statement also right behind his , to clear what I had said , in case it was my comment he was referring to , and it was taken out of context or if it came out that I was directing anything at him personally (I guess kind of an apology of my own).

Anytime you have a lot of people , especially from different cultures with different values there is going to be things that are not seen the same by a lot of those people. There are also people who just like to “stir the pot” as it is often called , just for amusement many times or “trolling” in a thread.

Yes you are right this light is a good general purpose light as well as an excellent hunting light , the reason it has been more stressed about it being a hunting light though is because , that is what it was actually designed for , with hunters working along with Maxtoch to develop the best weapon mountable hunting light they could together. The light works just as well as any other larger light I have though in terms of taking it outside and being able to see as far as I need to see and also having a simple UI that is user friendly and no trying to learn a lot of modes and how to get to those modes.

I have not looked back to see where or how many times , but it has also been mentioned several times through the thread that this light performs as well as many of the more expensive lights that even get close to the throw , build quality and the output of this light for double the price and the 2X needs no mods to get that performance , simply throw 2 batteries in it an your good to go.

I personally do not hardly do any hunting now days as I am not able to , so my personal experiences are mostly as a general everyday flashlight user and flashaholic.

I personally am not bashing anyone for not spending money on this light nor for waiting on the next lower price of 5 bucks less. I understand many people do not have the funds all to well , as I myself live on a fixed disability income and many times it can be very hard without spending money on flashlights or anything else unnecessarily.
So I hope that can all be put behind and forgotten and move on with the main reason for this GB which is to get everyone a little better price than the retail in the end.

It has nothing to do with the 2X GB thread but I posted THIS thread awhile back and I still believe what I said there is true.

+1 Well spoken. Again

^ This reply, this misguided “correction”, is precisely, exactly, spot-on what I was referring to in my last paragraph above. It’s as if you willfully take people to be saying something different, or even the opposite, of what they clearly just said. Sigh. Weird. It’s like a “prove my point” dead fish fell from the sky and landed in front of me.

On a different tone, thank you Robo for your words, I understand. I know it’s a hunter light and I know it’s already been discussed that it’s a fantastic all-around light. Just looking at the latest GB progress, I’m thinking we might not hit 50, much less 80, if the marketing discussion stays fixated on hunting, hunting, hunting, despite the obvious. I still think other stuff can be explored more, and I think the discussion which followed my post (about the build quality, etc) was a good example. I admit I’m interested in the other fellow’s unimpressive experience, though. I don’t follow Maxtoch closely, but that’s the first I’ve personally heard of a bad one. Then again, even I got a bad Conway C8 with neutral emitter, despite it being very highly rated (the whole tube had been anodized, leading to a spotty electrical connection; I did like the light otherwise, once corrected).

Again this can be read 2 ways. It can be taken as sarcastic and intended as telling someone to buzz off , or it can be taken as simply saying , this light is what it is and no intentions of any changes at this point and that something else could be a better option if this light does not fit ones needs.

I always try to read something 2 or 3 times before I respond to be sure I don’t see one thing when something else is being said and just react to it. I did the react now think later thing for a lot of years as a Prison guard and as a peace officer also and I have learned that immediate reaction sometimes is not the best thing although at times it is the only thing.

I am not trying to make arguments either way but only wish this thread to progress without the drama that has been seen in many threads in the past months especially with GB’s and/or design ideas.

It would be very helpful if we could ALL try to stay with the GB and not point fingers or lay blame or make rude/insulting comments.

My 2 cents and I would again like to just let this go and stay on track , the GB will climb I think , sometimes they just start slow as did the M24 GB and it ended up doing much better than was expected.

It sometimes puzzles me what someone’s intentions are in conjunction with their words when they are from another country and it’s obvious they don’t speak English natively. But I understand mudgripz very easily, it’s someone from America, in this case, that leaves me scratching my head and wondering what I just read… the written word, internet decorum, always perplexing.

Thanks Dale

Yes have never had problems in communication/understanding re Maxtochs before, and we’ve developed and introduced quite a few on this site.

Thanks guys for advice, I am already in contact with Amanda, just wanted to hear your opinion on flashlights that you saw and handled personally.
robo819 if you want I can delete my posts so you could get this thread back on rails.

It is OK , I think any company will have a 1% to 3% margin of a failure or a light getting through the QC ,as none of them have a perfect track record yet. :wink:

Why should non hunters buy it?

Because of freaking 350kcd with XM-L2! That why :slight_smile: Still sounds incredible to me…

And interesting to anyone and even moders because this looks like a small reflector that achieved extreme performance for a reflector of that size.

Of course if you modd that with proper emitter it will go well over 450 kcd :slight_smile:

This is the place where frugal meets flashlighs. So sorry guys but I support anyone who wants to knock manufacturer price off :+1:

BINGO. I have no problem with pointing out the design goals and parameters of a light, in this case hunting. It by no means says it’s exclusively for that purpose. In my case it’ll rarely, if ever, be mounted but I still find the features and level of performance useful. The price is a little higher than I’d like but sometimes quality and performance cost more. Like Lumin said I appreciate any cost reduction we can get and my thanks to the organizers.

I got in on the last Maxtoch GB and was happy with the result, accurate specs, nicely finished, well packaged, reliable. Some of these qualities have been missing from other GB lights lately, at least the ones I’ve bought.
I was impressed enough with Maxtoch that I’ll buy another and this looks to be an impressive product. If I get a dinger their customer support is reported to be good.

I would like to get in on the GB but other bills are in the way (I keep thinking I really don’t need to pay the electric because I could just use my lights but then I wonder how I would charge my batteries lol). If this is till running in a month or so maybe by then I can get I on it. The light looks fantastic and I plan to use it for search & rescue as well as those times when I just need to see something far away or even up close but need to see details.

This light is going to be just the ticket for those pitch black nights on the boat, trying to find camp and not run aground. We run wide open with one guy on the wheel and the other with a GPS in one hand and a flashlight in the other. Kind of makes you feel alive with the flashlights that we have now. I would like to feel less alive!

Dude, wait till you see what this baby does! It’s a fat laser, really has some serious downrange punch, you’re gonna love it!

I’m not a hunter; am just buying the torch 2x because I’m a bit of a flashaholic and love to spot something/anything way out there. Someone saying it’s a fat laser also got me. I have a 500mw green laser and a true 3 watt 445nm laser…sooo, laser guys out there will really respond when you talk about fat lasers.
David did a great job of selling me on this 2x. I didn’t want to wait another month or so for $5 so it’s already now on order. Either way, MaxToch and Amanda go well. David’s a stand up straight arrow guy and all around good salesman. If he says this is a good torch. . . it is. ’Nuf said.

Yup, I just ordered one too from Amanda. She is awesome to deal with, and communicates extremely well. Paypal was no problem. I couldn’t wait. Have the opportunity to hog hunt right now.

David, keep me on the group buy list. I will buy another one to give to a hunter friend of mine for Christmas. Who knows, after a few people see this light, there may be more.