GB Oficially closed/// Maxtoch 2X Shooter (new version)

Sorry, no beamshots but a quick tabletop video to show the basics, for some reason im getting low lux readings but on all my lights so its probably the meter…

Anything else except 1080p? Some of us dont have 3000$ supercomputers…

+1
Considering Maxtoch basically had this product developed with free consultation and testing by forum members, they pretty much owe the existence of this (their best product yet) to BLF (in particular the members involved, of course). So a good Group Buy would be the right gesture to BLF. (I wonder what the holdup is.)

And it’s just me, but I wouldn’t buy at the current AliExpress price anyway. So if there’s no group discount, there will be no 2x for me.

[quote=Sirius9]

Try disabling Flash Player plug-in in your browser? Good to have that (and every other add-on) disabled normally anyway, due to security risks… can enable only when needed. I got it to play at 360p with Flash disabled. You can also right-click in the embedded video, and choose “copy video URL” to paste the address in a new tab or browser window to have more control and a bigger video window.

Sorry, it literally just uploaded, I usually find YouTube won’t select other resolutions for a short while after, maybe try it in a bit?

OK, now available in 480p Yay :smiley:
So, how does the 2X behave when operating tailcap quickly (considering it does not have side switch for modes), I am just concerned that if you use remote pressure switch, it may accidentally switch modes or even go to strobe, hunting light must always start in max, no matter how quickly you operate the switch/remote pressure switch.

I am still waiting on Maxtoch to give the go ahead. They had a trade show come up and everyone is at it right now , so I am not able to go with it until I hear from them.

It starts in whatever mode you turn it off in (mode memory) there is NO strobe on the 2X it has L/M/H only and there is a 4 second memory timer. The one good thing is that you have to click it 2 times before it will switch modes once a mode is in memory.

This means if you click it or tap the pressure switch very quickly “tap tap” within less than 4 seconds it will change modes, otherwise it will always start on the mode you have in memory. If you do the quick tap tap , then you cycle the mode normally with a single tap as long as you do not wait 4 seconds or more between them.

Umm, this is not good, because pressure switches are not that precise, they lack the tactile and audible feedback like ordinary clicky switches have, you can press it lightly and think you are ok but if you move slighly or just take a breath it may brake and establish a connection 2 times easily in less than a second let alone in 4 seconds. Dedicated mode switching button is light years more advanced and better solution…
You won’t be able tо apply excessive pressure (just to be sure not to brake the circuit by accident) all night long, your hand will start to hurt. This can be solved by making a FET remote pressure switch where you would operate momentary e-switches that do ot require that much of pressure

I am just the messenger, Maybe mudgripz can give more information how the pressure switch works with the light as I have not used it with the 2X. I am only speaking of the switch on the light itself as that is all I have used personally.

Technically speaking, switch in the tailcap and remote pressure switch operate similarly, they both break the electrical path.

I don’t use remotes myself when shooting - this is a good question for the Maxtoch techs. That company however is heavily focussed on a huge military trade show right now and Amanda advises they will be for a little while yet - their core business.

I doubt they will do big GB discount for this light so some may miss out - there may be some code discount but at $93 it represents great price/quality/performance value. They will no doubt make that decision when they get back to business as usual after the big trade show. Some of the guys who have helped develop the light occasionally link up with BLF, but we are not seeking $$$ advantage for that.

Actually glad to hear of your low readings Jeansy - exactly the problem I spoke of a day or so ago. These meters have a shelf life and often start reading quite low when they are stuffed. Your ratio however at 160k for the Olight on boost and 230k for the Maxtoch on high sounds near enough. By this, Maxtoch is about 44% higher, so if you had Olight at its normal 250k max, the Maxtoch would be about 360k, and given its bigger head and stronger throw it may well read 365k at a further 10 meters distance. In the ballpark.

Jeansy can you check the medium on the 2X - it could read about 170k on your meter - should be ahead of the M3X-UT’s boost. All these figures doubtful however, as meter is reading very low now, and readings may no longer read with consistency across range. New meter needed.

Yes it’s a real shame, the meter was previously bang on for several manufacturers claims but like you say it must have lost sensitivity.

I think the scale is about right but I’m afraid on medium the Maxtoch is not as bright as the M3XS on high, it’s closer match than high vs high for sure tho. I’m away for a couple days now but will give you the figures when I’m back if you like.

I did 5m inside and then once it was dark I did 10m outside, these were almost exactly the same across all the lights so neither gained from the extra range, maybe I will try further next time.

Tint does appear better also on Maxtoch but I need to go hunting and compare in actual use with some real range.

Only plus points for Olight really are, slightly lighter, dual switch, allowing mode lock better and possibly nicer finish/looks, although that’s personal preference.

As it stands, the Maxtoch clearly wins on both throw and price, it’s really a no brainer to get this light.

Great work, all involved :slight_smile:

Jeansy if you get a chance can you still test your 2X on medium.

It may look visibly less bright than the M3X’s XPL-HI on boost, but what I have noticed is that XPLs have alot more glare than dedomed XMLs with their warmer tint, but this does not translate to more lux on test. Might be worth a look. My 2X is about 260k on medium - as is gadgetman’s.

Looking forward to beamshots and more numbers on this light. The Fenix tk76 I had been watching just sold so I’m back to focusing on lights more in my price. This and the L6 will now probably be next purchases provided they live up to hype generated.

With new Cree production process you can loose more than 30%… Some of us already experienced that

Maybe you are not aware of that yet(cause you guys still have old stock emitters) but soon it will start happening to all of us.

So 160kcd of Olight and 250kcd of Maxtoch could happen sooner we expect and we’ll not be able to help ourselves… Manufacturers will stay at same throw figures of course…

Meters should not be blamed to much. Even budget ones can tell a lot about light intensity. Djozz talked a lot about that here:

and here:For ease of mind, do not open up cheap chinese stuff: luxmeters

Well I just tested this out at an industrial estate and was very impressed. Spotted a silo of a cable manufacturer that according to google maps was approx 1km away and shining the Maxtoch on high we could just see the beam on the silo with the naked eye, it was very slight, but 3 of us all confirmed we could see it. Can’t wait to take it out into the bush where it’s nice and dark :).

Sorry, didn’t make myself very clear there, I did test not just my visible perception. The lux was lower, not much at all but it was lower, think it was 10-20k less on medium compared to the M3XS on high. I will report back when I’m home, but that may be a few days now. I wrote down the figures so I was accurate reporting them, I just didn’t call medium out on the vid.

Just out of interest, what tailcap readings are you guys getting (and what method are you using to get them)?

Updated in OP also.
I got the OK to put the review up and it looks like the GB is just around the corner.

Again for those who do not want to watch the entire video , the teardown stills and beamshots start at 5:15 in the video and the live footage outside immediately following that. Keep in mind the beamshot stills are much more true to life than the live footage from my cheap video camera.

I have the Maxtoch M24 Sniper and love it.

I want the 2X but I need to know that after de-doming whether the tint will be good and not a crappy green tint.

I looked at the video but video tints are not reliable.

Anyone have one yet?