Group buy: Jaxman Z1 host [THREAD CLOSED BY ADMIN]

Oh that is cool!
A XHP in such a small form
We need pics and a review of that!
Shame on you for dragging me into anxiously awaiting something to arrive :smiley:

Hi wolfA and sharpie,
leave the two on the list, i ll take the other one! :wink: only because we can save money, hahaha.
Spend money to save money.

Hello Jesjes,
You know it’s just a host on the list? Not a working flashlight!
Otherwise no problem, we’ll have a beer soon… :wink:

A review will be difficult because I have no equipment for measuring significant data. Oscilloscope and signal generator won’t help in this case :slight_smile:

But maybe my randonneuse wants to roll to France this summer, then I’ll show you!

WolfA, where’d you get the 26350’s? Enquiring minds want to know! :slight_smile:

Alibaba! Details over in We need 26350

Here…26350’s This product is no longer available.

No excusses @ wolfA: Luxmeter professional from my last business must be left in ah ah a box?, i ll look and bring with :beer:

While waiting on parts I decided to go ahead and start. I used a TR135e driver and mounted to the outside of the pill. I took a 3/32 rat-tail file and notched the pill on one side. About half the diameter of the file deep. The brass is easy to handle. I cleaned and did chamfer all edges. The driver has a notch on one side and is bridged from both sides. I used the heavy liquid flux and it soldered well then added additional blob factor to top side. I lightly dressed some of the threads and it fit well. The LED is an XHP70 P2 1C on Sinkpad. It says clearly to use adhesive but I don’t use it. I did make one mistake by applying heat too long and the silicone curled back at the joint. The next one I will sleeve heat shrink tube through the pill to the connection. Safety! I am using Thorfire 5000ma protected cells and they fit well. Distance was lost by mounting the pill to the outside. I specifically did NOT over-mod this light because I did not add additional heat sinking material. NO spring bypasses at all. We all know the XHP is a hog. I tested it last night with no problems at all. The UI is a 5 mode h/m/l and the da*n blinkies. Two bumps and they are gone. You got them if you need them. I will say, on strobe, you can blind someone at distance…WOW bright.

The Z1 is well built and easy to build. I’m in the class for dummy’s…so if I can do it then anyone can. Special thanks to all for letting me tag along. This is a hobby…nothing more. On ceiling bounce the first thing you notice is the massive crosshair. Four distinct dies and it looks odd. The lens focuses so well that you can see the dimples in the phosphorus, high and low, white and some yellow. I would prefer a warmer tint as the massive amount of light makes it hard to see far out. You could definitely use this like a scope and with the cross-hairs at center mass 100yard shot it’s done! Slight de-focus and the cross-hairs are gone. …but it works well at high, medium, and low. In current form it makes a nice utility general purpose light. I have to say it has grown on me. The cells when checked were not terribly out of balance which is a plus for serial. The currents appear to be just about right for the output. I did not do any full run times, and won’t, but used it three times at about 5 minute each, mostly high and medium but low also. Heat was fair and only mildly warm which surprised me. This has a decent pill for being brass, IMO only.

I have started the second Z1 and added copper spacer which I will mount a 16mm XHP35 noct. I drilled and counter sunk the stainless screw and angle notched the sides for the wires and heat shrink. This will create problems with focus but I won’t know until done. My single cell version is awaiting driver and I will sink differently.

No beam shot as this is early and camera is still broken. It will be a while before I have more. Every zoomie should come with a lens cover. It really adds to the value of this model. I don’t even like zoomies…but I am going to request; please put me down for two more on the interest list. This Z1 has potential. It’s a GEM!

ADD: (build #1 XHP70 2cell, #2 XHP35, #3 XHP35 single cell)

Well spoken leroy.
I really like how they beveled the inside of the bezel and it seems almost glossy in there, making the nice aspheric really look good. And that lens cover is, as you said, perfect. Suddenly I wonder why none of the aspherics that came before had that cover, it’s absolutely essential and a great touch to a nice light.

I got my Jaxman X1 today and it’s got the same excellent build. They even glued the centering ring down! lol. The driver had the blinkies so I removed it and put an LD-2 in, pulling 5.55A at the tail on an MNKE 26650. All good! The reflector in this X1 is as perfect as the aspheric is in the Z1, they really have done their homework I’ll give em that…

Hi,

the driver of the X1 has two mode groups :wink:

Regards

Kenjii

Did I know that? Crapola, I shoulda known that huh? Well, it now has an LD-2 in it with 3 modes.
<—- dummy didn’t double check the website.
<—-dummy also did make note of the nice operator’s manual
<—-dummy did not read nice operator’s manual

Like you would have really left it alone. Uh huh, yeah. LOL

I havent started mine yet as I’m waiting for parts to arrive still however, I must say I am mighty impressed with everything thus far. The tracking was the best I have had from anything arriving from overseas. Tracked the whole way and told me when it was scheduled for delivery and was updated as soon as it was delivered. Packaging was great and everything was well protected. The only thing I would have liked was the ability to pay using PayPal. But the alixpress payment system all seemed very secure and ok so it wasn’t really a problem. Anyway, I’m looking forward to putting the light together.

Interest list updated.

I think a lot of people struggle with this hurdle and we’re all correct to be very careful with our information online, especially financials. But AliExpress is part of the Alibaba Group, a huge publicly traded company that’s been in business for almost 20 years and is worth hundreds of billions of dollars. They’re legit and don’t take chances with things like security. AliExpress is their marketplace division, basically a direct competitor to Amazon but not as popular in the US as they are in China or India where they’re huge. As online vendors go, they’re as safe and secure as any of the other “big guys” are.

And that’s exactly what I figured when I was going through the checkout. It’s just such a long time since I have had to actually enter my credit card details in an online checkout it just felt wrong. But I wouldn’t hesitate to use alixpress again now I have done it once.

While I don’t have the Z1 I’ve never heard anything negative and this version looks to be the best yet. I agree with what everyone is saying about the lens cap too. Really nice touch. I’d like to see that implemented on more large lens lights especially those with AR coated glass. I’m trying to get Simon to do something similar for the L6. It sure would make me a lot more comfortable putting it in a backpack if it had a lens cover.

Dale that is one crazy beam. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the beam crossover so clearly. Very cool. :beer:

Thanks KB. Has anyone done any real testing on those to confirm they are a reliable quality cell? I like the idea of being able to run an XHP35-HI in a 2-26650 tube but no name batteries scare me…

After reading that review on a Nitecore XPL HI big reflector I think about modding my Courui with the Cometa LED and maybe even driver and tail.
It all seems to come together with those neat 26350 cells
So I am leaning to a XHP Z1 now

So glad all modding are winter projects (the only thing I am really certain about) so there is plenty of time

Cool to read the arrival and build reports!

AliExpress is indeed safe IMHO and I really like you pay via the system instead of having to give vendors the information.

Go J-Dub74!
Even the cheapest monocular comes with a cap so yeah as nick nack item in Simons store I think they would do well
Nice soft rubber so they fit slightly smaller lights too
I would buy one C8 size, a S70/L6 size and well when ordering S2 as well :smiley: