Guess s1mp13m4n's Anonymous Friend and Win an Ultrafire UF-T50

brted

Foy, I reckon...

I always thought Foy but there are many other generous people on here so if I am wrong apologies to the correct person. If I win- there will be a cash giveaway as my wife will not believe I won another flashlight. edit (I will keep the light but do a cash giveaway) I've used that excuse a few times already and everytime I get a parcel she jumps on ali express and buys something. I will have to discuss my recent "auction" purchase as I told her about bidding but said don't worry someone will outbid me- lol

Damn that is one fine looking light.....Damn

I now think its Chicago X

don't put me in the drawing. when I first saw the thread when there were only like 5 posts, the first thought that popped in my head was "iseethelight" boasting: look at me Im so generous and everybody should follow my lead because everybody's a troll... etc etc. don't mean to insult anybody, but this tone by the OP does seem to insult the rest of us. the "im outta here" just confirms the notion that this forum is below the so magnanimous donor. we're not worthy. hope nobody got offended, just a curious observation on the irony of this thread. s)

I opted for the admin to be disqualified. Not because I dont trust him, more because he would never have entered this giveaway anyway and I thought "simpleman" as the only disqualified person looked a little lonely.. :)

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/8699#comment-174431

So he's in the USA or has a US accomplice

It's not foy , he gave away his Xtar Meteor to the member light of day https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/7465 and the serial number is different too so it's not light of day

ChicagoX

I'll guess ChicagoX too.. But I really don't know to be honest.

..Actually, I'd like to amend my guess to ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS.

Hmm.. on further consideration I will go back to ChicagoX, final answer. I think.

FOY for me.

This entire proceeding (along with the gift bestowed upon s1mp and the accompanying discussion) has already been fascinating, sometimes fun, sometimes heart wrenching and sometimes just plain interesting. I really don’t know enough about all the members to make an informed or intelligent guess but it’s still fun to give it a little thought based on the little I’ve come to know (or think I know),

I’ll tell you one thing – and that’s that this is a community – a real community in many senses of the word. As such, it has a lot of the elements of a “brick and mortar” community, the leaders, the followers, the “hangers on,” as well as the lonely, the needy, the healthy and the sick. (I could go on.)

Sure, the flashlight thing satisfies many of our needs. (OCD has been mentioned multiple times – and it’s fun on one hand, and consoling on the other, to be able to “hang out” with others who can relate.) Please understand that I’m not belittling flashlights as a hobby. It’s got a lot to offer – but most of you already know that.

Nevertheless, and all things considered, I don’t find "The Shadow's" comments quoted above at all surprising. They could be motivated by several different (some certainly conflicting) feelings and situations in someone’s life. Let’s take the part that reads How incredibly insulting. All I wanted to do was give away another flashlight and have some fun. It really is true that no good deed goes unpunished. When this is over I'll send out the light then I and my original username are outta here.” It’s the “… I and my original username are outta here …” part that I’ll address for the moment. Certainly the donor could have been offended and hurt and simply reacted in a kneejerk kind of way. That would be one possibility. By the way, I echo the comments of whomever said they hope that (exit) doesn’t come to pass.

[Ironically, if the donor does leave, the mystery IS solved – that’s if I understand the rules correctly.]

Back to reasons for leaving: I have no doubt that more than one of the current (particularly the active) members have more than once considered spending their time and money in a different way. I would have to disagree with those of you who would be offended if any one of them decided to do so. For flashlights to be the glue to hold this community together – so effectively, so intensively at times, and for so long is in itself sort of weird. Obviously it’s fulfilling some other types of needs – and why shouldn’t someone have the opportunity to look for fulfillment elsewhere? Sure there are friendships at the BLF. Many people have come to know a lot and sometimes care a lot about others within the group. But a true friend wouldn’t try to dissuade their friend from foregoing other, better opportunities.

Well, I’ve gone on a lot longer than intended. I may post another “armchair philosophical treatise” relating to all this – and then again, I may – but I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for providing me a place to “hang out” on occasion. It's been great!

Best Regards, -Bob- (KumaBear)

A better question is who hacked my BLF account and bid on all the flashlights at once? Errr um... My wife wants to know. (sounded better the first time I used it)

My first thought of who gave the lights to s1mpl3m4n was a group donation consisting of Foy, Chicago X and E1320. Like most of you, Foy came to mind immediately due to the WK21. CX simply because he is the most generous member I know of on this great forum of ours. E1320 because he too is generous and has given items in the past to Paul.

I can't recall exactly who did the great detective work, and I'm too lazy to interrupt my post to go back a page and look, but they raised a great point that the serial # of the donated WK21 didn't match that of the one Foy was given to review. There goes that theory of mine.

The threat to leave the group and take their username with them removes all 3 from my guesses unless it was a ploy, as Boaz said, to throw us off the trail. None of them would ever get into such a huff and leave their second home that easily. I'm guessing it is someone newer to BLF but have no clue whom. I really don't care to know either, as I believe their charitable act should remain anonymous, and besides, the light will be given away regardless and we would never really know for sure. It sure has been fun guessing though.

Has there been a correct guess already?

clue please...

Hmmm... what about mitro? He hated his Maelstrom X10. Seems to be motive behind giving away such an expensive light :bigsmile:

EDIT: Sorry, that's not my guess. I'm just thinking out loud since this turned into a discussion

But Mitro already sold his. He sold it to Anzycpethian.

ChicagoX does (did?) have one though. He also has at least one WK21 of unknown serial#.

Cooter has 2 of them. Did he give one away?

Oh yeah. I knew he bought one but couldn't remember from who. Chi-X still seems like the most likely suspect. The infantile troll comment made me recall the debacle he got into with a former member 8) (not the fault of Chi-X though)

I think the original username is ALREADY outta here...since I've never heard anyone else make impish claims about leaving...

But he was from the UK and the package was shipped from the US. I think Chicago X is the best bet as he seems to have owned most of these lights at some point at least and has been known to do giveaways in the past.

If y'all really think it's Chicago X, then just ask s1mp13m4n how the package he got was wrapped. If it took ten minutes to unwrap, it's not Chicago X. If it took a half hour and all the lights were in separate boxes filled with foam, And everything had ten layers of tape on it, it might be Chicago X.

Believe me, he can't send a simple package. He has to pack it like there was nitroglycerin in it.

And I still don't believe it could be him or foy. Chicago X really wouldn't want the whole community to know if he sent something to someone and I don't think foy would either. I think they both would do it anonymously and I don't think they would come out and start a thread like this that would cause so much of a stir. I especially don't think they would be as (Quoted by the OP - insulting), as I have seen here so far. Some of the comments would suggest that it is someone who has left BLF and come back. Since some of the replies are purposefully stress inducing and negative toward other members, in their content.

Shadow, I imagine you will feel I am trying to cause a stir, but after carefully reading all of your posts here, I am just trying to sort out the tone, to discount who it would not be.

In Essence, Shadow has said: I am still going to give away a light, but then I am leaving, because you guys hurt my feelings. That is not something Chicago X would do.

Look for a member (or past member) who is more emotional and has a short temper, with no patience (no it's not me). That is how Shadow's replies read. It should help you figure out who it is (or isn't).

DISQUALIFIED!!!

:)