Guide: how to flash ATtiny13a based drivers (NANJG, QLITE, etc.) with custom firmware

Help needed.
Yesterday I received standard Nanjg 105C/D drivers from Convoy aliexpress store and wanted
to reprogram them with my preffered firmware. Usually I buy whole flashlight, take out the driver
and reprogram it but this time I purchased drivers
When I try usual command to check if they will answer (avrdude -p t13 -c usbasp -n) I get this:

First I thought it’s a bad contact between MCU pins and my clip, no, this was fine, then I thought
that it’s something related to my USBASP programmer so I tested with older NANJG attiny13A
based drivers that I have from before and I can reprogram them without any problems:

Please post a photo of the driver.

It may be that you simply haven’t made a good connection with the SOIC8 clip (I usually have to try several times to get mine connected). Another possibility is that the clip is not oriented correctly. Check the orientation, then reattach the clip and see if it works.

Give me a minute to test one more theory, I think I know what’s the problem.

Connection and clip orientation is fine, problem is that I got this buggy version where pin 5 of MCU
is connected with resistor and middle pin of current regulator, I thought this version was discontinued like 2 years ago!!!
Anyway, pin 5 has to be free and when I cut unwanted connection it only took seconds to reprogram the driver.

cut via yellow line:

Nice work!

I always start with the simple stuff as it can get anybody.

That’s why I asked for the photo. Some Convoy drivers have pin 5 connected to ground as well, so I thought it might be the same problem in this case.

I remember I received one driver with this issue very long long time ago so I completely forgot this might be the case again.

Reserving for later use

A tip, you can click “click to subscribe” at the bottom of post #1.

Do you guys know what kind of driver is inside the Catapult V6 ? It has an E-Switch so I’d love to flash Anduril to it

Proprietary Boost driver. Youd have to swap the entire driver. Unfortunately I don’t think you can get e-switch boost drivers yet, only mechanical switch. MTN E is working on getting his e-switch drivers available, but not yet.

Anduril only runs on 2 different MCU and I doubt Thrunite uses them. Plus all the circuitry would have to match, plus the software would need to be optimized for it. It is much more complicated than you realize.

Thanks for the answer. I guess I’ll wait then haha

You know what might work? If you get an Astrolux FT03 with SST-40 for $30 and mod it. It has a similar design, but the SST-40 is a tad smaller die. So similar output, but more throw. V6 uses xhp35-hi 12v led, the SST-40 is 3 volt. It comes with NarsilM, but you could probably flash Anduril since the MCU and circuitry are compatible. You’d just need to pick a version of Anduril designed for either 2 or 3 channel, I forget which. Plus you need to verify the pinout on the MCU. So tricky, but possible.

Would the on-board charger still work after flashing Anduril?

It should. It is a seperate add on board. The driver is running basic NarsilM with nothing extra for the charger circuit.

I wanted to get into this so I got all of the various hardware and opened up the thread to read the instructions. Well I messed with it all day ALL DAY and never got it to connect. I tried everything I could find and explored a lot of rabbit holes in research. I had one old s3 and new2+ to play with that if I screwed it was no great loss.

I was not going to try and read the whole thread but a while ago i decided to work backward through the thread. and found this post I looked at mine (old convoy s3) and it was the same. SO I cut the trace and sure enough it connected.

I had hex files for crescendo and bistro from TK’s repository. I tried crescendo first, the ramping worked but shortcuts and other modes didnt. SO i tried bistro.

It works except no matter how I set mode memory it always turns on in the next mode up from when I shut it off.
Bistro also with mode memory off, with a long press should take you back to the first mode in the group.

I never got this to work either, no matter how I toggled the memory function.

Other than that it seems to work as it should.
My question is is this problem because I cut those traces or because of the generic hex used?

What did your flashing output say?

If your light didn’t change functionality, it’s likely that the flashing didn’t work. If it’s a Convoy driver, you probably need to cut the trace.

I cut the trace and it connected.

I had hex files for crescendo and bistro from TK’s repository.

I flashed crescendo first, the ramping worked but shortcuts and other functions didn’t.

SO I flashed biscotti.

It works, except no matter how I toggle mode memory it always turns on in the next mode up from when I shut it off.

With mode memory off a long press should take you back to the first mode in the group but does not work no matter how I toggled the memory function.

Other than that it seems to work as it should.
My question is this problem because I cut those traces or because of the generic hex I used?
Thank you for your help.

Bistro needs an off time capacitor to measure long presses, and qlite drivers don’t have one. You probably want Biscotti.

Well, that shows that flashing worked fine. But the mode memory… this flashlight doesn’t have an illuminated tailcap, does it? If you have one of those and don’t have an appropriately sized bleeder resistor on the driver, you will get strange next-mode-memory kind of behavior. I doubt it has anything to do with the hex file since everything else seems to work ok.