Guns you regret buying

Bought A Ruger Vacquero in 44. mag with a 4 inch barrel… The old western handle is rounded. This allows the pistol to rotate & jump back at your head with a 4 inch barrel & a ‘hot’ load… Like to took my head off…

Last I heard it is only effective for around 2 months after you get it so if you go after a rabid animal 2 months after the shots then you have to get the booster.

Slightly disappointing that I can't go try to wrangle up some rabid animals. :(

Great stuff Match. That revolver is sexy.

Your advice on 308 is dead on - so many options it can be staggering. Id love an m14… one day….

I’m a bit surprised about the keltec su16 mentioned. I guess keltec is very hit or miss/ love or hate. I kinda like the idea of the Su16, but would need to handle one. Never have. Just read about em.

I like 22s and the cost so there will be more of those in time. Fun little toys. Kinda like some budget lights in a way… :slight_smile:

And yeah can’t go wrong with a 870 or 500. Had a 870. Pops flipped that some time ago. I don’t really bird hunt anymore so I didn’t care much. It was wood/blue, which is fine, but I would go synth next time.

Saigas are pretty cool, but very different useage/intent. Playthings to me. Kinda expensive (ammo) for fun.

I half-regret buying a .17 HMR stainless single-shot Rossi. It shoots decent groups-hovering a hair over 1 MOA on average. I don’t really have much use for it (but I would shoot it more if I had the time and $:money_mouth_face:.

The reason being:
I bought a beautiful Savage .22 WMR 93 (drilled and tapped, no open sights-super sleek looking!) two years ago. Using Hornady V-MAX it shoots four out of five shots tit-for-tat with most .17s, all four literally touching the same hole…and one of the five shots usually opens groups up to 1-1/8” to 1-1/4” at 100yd. It clearly has a little more accuracy potential left for me to wring out. I have confidence in my accuracy with it, and would use it to dispatch coyotes within 80-100 yards, as my township outlaws centerfire rifle hunting :Sp

Pulsar - the SAR B6 is made by sarsilmaz (sp?) in turkey imported by EAA. Its not made by tangfolio. I wish at that price. Witnesses are going for 400 now which I think is a bit high for a clone. They are nice though.

I’m sure in its day it was a great gun but it is too big and heavy for a 8rd 9mm.

I was under the impression that they had unbelievable accuracy, it is accurate but I have guns that shoot better. I have a cheap Star 9mm BM that I bought for $120 that will shoot rings around it. My Kahrs will easily shoot with the P7 and they and the Star are considerably smaller.

The grip is a big hunk of steel and feels like that. In rapid fire, it feels less controllable then a 9mm should. Considering this is a gas operated fixed barrel gun, I expected better accuracy and better recoil management. It’s good but not great.

Considering what these cost ($1,000+), I expected more. Guns are like knives and lights, you can pay top dollar but you don’t always get that much more for your money.

It is rare I regret buying a gun but when I do, it is the very expensive ones and the very cheap ones that I regret. Same is true of knives and lights.

I regret several of my high dollar custom knives I bought and wasted money on some cheap ones. I have paid $10-30 on absolute trash knives before I knew about Sanrenmu and other decent budget Chinese knives.

The saiga-12 is some of the best $ I have spent. J)

That Wal-mart Federal bulk ammo is great!

no, i was just stating that the tz75 and witness lines were made by tanfoglio

Guns I regret buying:

Taurus PT-22, garbage

Rossi snub, couldn’t hit a barn if you were in it. I can shoot snubies so it was the gun, not me.

Cetme .308, had no use for it at all.

Maverick 12ga, its no Mossberg 500

Mossberg 500, it’s no Remington 870 LOL!

Springfield XD-9, it’s no Glock

I have a good friend who, back before either of us got married, bought a lot of nice guns. He went on a Walther kick and bought a stainless PPK because he’s a James Bond fan. That lead to a TPH, then a P5, and, then a P88. He had bought a Sig-Sauer P226, a Colt Delta Elite (10mm 1911), and some other guns. Oh, yeah, he bought an H&K SP89.

Out of all those guns, the following were guns I would not buy, either from him or on my own:
PPK - didn’t fit my small hands and I would get track marks on the back of my shooting hand from the slide coming back and laying those marks down under recoil. None of us could group with that thing at 7 yards. Could have been lack of shooting experience on our part, but, his future brother in law at the time couldn’t shoot it, neither.
TPH - take the PPK and shrink it down and you have a TPH. It was cute look at, but, that was about all it had going for it. This one drew blood as it laid down those track marks on the back of my hand. Accuracy? My 18” barrelled shotgun with no choke on it grouped better at 15 yards with one shot than this gun did at 7 and a full clip. At times we didn’t hit the paper at 7 yards.
H&K SP89 - hmm, what’s there to like about this oversized handgun? Nothing. It’s too big to shoot with one hand. It was illegal to put a forward vertical grip on it so you had to either hold the clip or the forward shroud, but, that shroud is so far forward that you couldn’t even try to do a Weaver stance with it. He put a laser on it so we were able to accurately shoot it from the hip, but, every time you pulled the trigger the support hand would sting from the muzzle blast hitting the shroud ifyou held onto it. The shroud surrounds the end of the muzzle and sticks out about two inches past the end of the barrel. At least he sold it for a profit when he finally got rid of it.

Of my personal guns, my biggest disappointment is the Texas made High Standard Citation. The quality doesn’t compare to the Connecticut made guns. It had a roll pin that holds the recoil spring in place that kept backing out under recoil, eventually leading to the recoil spring and retainer flying out under recoil. It also never fed reliably. Yes, I also have a Stamford, Connecticut, made Victor that’s just phenomenal in terms of build quality.
I have a Norinco SKS that I shouldn’t complain about. It was cheap to buy and cheaply made. The problem is that I had handled a Rumanian SKS that was absolutely gorgeous and it wasn’t that much more money to buy.

CZ75, HK45, and SIG”226 I assume”, none are copies or inspired by the 1911. The CZ75 is a copy of the Browning Hi-Power. HK and SIG are nothing like a 1911 unless you want to get really vague, but 90% of all automatics are vaguely 1911 inspired.

Best 9mm made, Sig Sauer P226, accurate and takes reliability to the next level, these guns don’t malfunction. Used by the Secret Service, CIA, Navy SEALS, to name a few.
Best 9mm for the money, there are quiet a few that could be in the running, my choice would be a Taurus PT92 or 99.
Best tactical .22 plinker, many in the running but check out the Anschutz MSR RX22.
Best .308 for the money, Remington 700 or even cheaper Savage 110.
Best pump 12 guage, Remington 870. Express models are really cheap in price but function just as good as the Wingmaster.
Most fun to shoot, AK47, 100% reliable.

Pulsar, I have a mint/new Spectre 9mm I would be willing to sell if your interested. Glad to learn I’m not the only one who knows what these are. I have never seen another one.

Now you tell me! I guess I’d like to change my answer to “rabid squirrel”. Anyway, you’d think for 20K it would last longer.

True, but in the future all you ever have to do is get 3 shots rather than the full 7. (One of which they were having a shortage of)

Or it could be they are just playing it safe and don't want someone sueing them about getting rabies 2.1 months after the shot etc.

Someday I may be interested… Tbh I’ve never actually seen one in person, just know what they are and wanted one since I first saw a pic… One of those ones I know will barely get used, but would be bad ass to be able to say I own one

There’s a huge difference between copies and inspired by.

Not sure how you can say browning hi power and CZ are not inspired by the 1911. You are the first I’ve ever heard say that. I mean, look at em….

Sigs might be a little more of a stretch, but they are more similar to the SA/DA 1911 than Glocks and all these new school poly and hammerless DAO designs.

As I see it most of all modern semiautos are either: more traditional and owing their roots to the 1911, or, the more newfangled doohicky glock inspired stuff.

May be a bit of an oversimplification, but I think you get what I mean broadly speaking.

Keep this thread going guys…. some good comments so far. Guns are fun to BS about. :slight_smile:

the styling is defiantly 1911, though the internals are not so much.

the llama duo i had, was a true 1911 clone. the cz/tz/star modelo(super also) and im sure the hi power (never handled one) and alot others are ALOT easier to field strip. first time i tore down a 1911, i had a spring go flying and i was like oh S#!T… took me an hour or so to get it back together. i knew nothing about the 1911 internals

Yeah man I think you get me. Inspired by, that’s all. The 1911 is pretty much the grand daddy to em all. I dig glocks and new stuff, but I am kind of a traditionalist. Some 1911 guys are way OTT about it though. I don’t go that far.

So, any other decent cheap clones you have any experience with that you might recommend checking out??? (Or avoiding)

The comparison of good budget knives like sanrenmu got me thinkin…. can anyone recommend “the SRM 710 of handguns”? By that I mean a great bargain for the price.

you can get a star modelo super for pretty cheap, but like i said, one i regreted… it ejected shells in my face. picked it up for my girl to learn to shoot with, and that wasnt going to slide for her gun. could have just taken some tinkering to get it to eject right though, maybe

i cant really think of any others that havent been mentioned already right now. the cz75s were pretty cheap at one point, but i think since they became more popular the stocks dried up some and prices went up too

if you keep an eye on shotgun news you can get second hand police issues for a steal though sometimes

The 1911 platform was my first (and still is) one true handgun love. If by some chance you can find a pre-2000 Kimber for <$700 that would be the best deal out there. I've had mine since ~1997 and has been flawless.

For current production deals, look at the offerings by R.I.A. Based in the Philipines, they purchased all of Colt's older manufacturing equipment. I don't personally own one, but have shot many (a few friends own em), and wow...very impressive - especially because they can be had for less than $400. Full size, commander, and officers - they have em all. Every piece is mil-spec, so all the aftermarket goodies will work if that's your thing. That's the best SRM like deal you'll get.

my uncle just bought 2 new rock islands… the front sight fell off one after about 2 or 3 clips… a front sight in a sand pit is impossible to find btw

edit: not saying they are bad, just my only experience with them… that was the commander sized. his full sized shot great. so did the commander, until that