GYRFALCON S8000, S4000 Pro Battery Charger & Analyzer

For NiMH no storage mode is needed, agree with SammysHP.

I would prefer this method with manual setting of charge/discharge rate

2 Thanks

Agree with the 3 colleagues here, no NiMH-storage mode is required, for LiIon automatic Charge/Discharge would be good.

But IĀ“m mostly NiMH-user, for me is the storage mode not important

2 Thanks

For Li-ion, charge/discharge them directly to the target voltage.

We will adopt this method.

5 Thanks

I would prefer this method with manual setting of charge/discharge rate

Yes, can manually set charging current , discharging current and target voltage.

2 Thanks

Testing :slight_smile:

Note: The two Aneng AN9002 digital multimeters that Iā€™m using to measure the voltage and current may be slightly inaccurate.

BLFs who have temperature sensors on their chargers, I have a question: Has the safety protection function of the temperature sensor ever been activated? If so, what were the working conditions and environmental conditions at that time?

I think the Vapcell S4+ has temperature sensors for four channels.

Two 21700 cells exceeded 50 C while discharging at a rate of 1A.

Room temperature between 25 - 30 C.

I donā€™t think it triggered a safety feature.

Safety feature is one thing, but temperature monitoring can also help identifying battery condition/failures. I wouldnā€™t count this as an important feature, but several other professional chargers have it.

1 Thank

I have some chargers with temperature monitoring, e.g. Keeppower L4, Vapcell S4+, LiitoKala Lii-600 but never saw a reaction on higher temperatures. But maybe also because the chargers showed 40-42Ā° while the cells had over 53Ā° C. I think the cells donĀ“t have so good contact to the sensors.

My small Opus BT-C700 shows no temperature but have a security feature, I remember I charged 4 AA on 700mA, some cells are problematic because of reaching not >1,45V, the Opus stopped charging for some minutes and started again.

Had this with my BC1000 as well a few times. It has metal tabs between slot 1+2 and 3+4 which are connected to a sensor.

Similar small chargers, but from different manufacturer (Dlyfull/Opus).

I think itĀ“s not to bad to do something if the charger notice itĀ“s getting to hot

The following 1A Ni-Mh battery charging curve is from SammysHPļ¼Œthanks very muchļ¼ļ¼ More details will be shared once he finished the Ni-Mh testsā€¦

Hope also for a NiMH 1A discharge, after the experience with the LiitoKala Lii-600 IĀ“m a bit careful.

What experience?

1 Thank

I donĀ“t have the measure equipment but it looks the Lii-600 use PWM-discharge, most cells have a voltage crash after discharging have started,<1,1V, that voltage I see with C9000 Pro @1A maybe <5 Mins before discharge is finished.

With one cell I had a discharge capacity of 367mAh with 0,75A discharge, with Powerex C9000 Pro I had 1885mAh at 1A discharge.

Thanks for the discharge-screenshot :slight_smile:

interestingly, the discharge current does not just stop at approximately minute 104 ā€¦

but it then takes about 12 minutes to reduce it to zero, like the mirror image of a Li-Ion charging curve ā€¦

therefore the voltage drops a little bit further below the presumably intended 1.0V ā€¦

That was intentional. The cutoff voltage was set to 0.95V and the termination current to 100mA. Yes, it is CC/CV discharge, but you can change it to CC only (will add a graph later).

1 Thank

CC would be the best way? For most things you would use rechargable you need a bit voltage stability.

Maybe you not interested if a cell have 200mAh more if you decrease the discharge current to <20mA (like my NC2200 do sometimes at selected discharge current 1A)

Again with 0.95V cutoff. Guess there was some additional resistance in the circuit outside of my measuring setupĀ¹, so the voltage measured by the charger was actually 0.90V. This would match the previous graph with reduced current until it reached 0.90V with almost no load.

Ā¹ I do four-wire measurements including the shunt, so that it should measure what the charger sees.

4 Thanks

Looks good IMHO