GYRFALCON S8000, S4000 Pro Battery Charger & Analyzer

When we can expect the release of the S8000?

The US market will start selling within this week, and the EU will be delayed.

3 Thanks

The S8000 and S4000 Pro have added support for 1.5V lithium batteries, including charge, discharge, cycle, and refresh functions. Firmware will also be released soon.

3 Thanks

This is a very nice feature. Thanks for adding it.

A very nice feature indeed and thanks to Enova.

Wonder if it could be added to the MC3000 - in a firmware release that actually does something we know about?

Wonder if it could be added to the MC3000 - in a firmware release that actually does something we know about?

Sorry, itā€™s not possible.
However, we will first send the latest firmware to TimMC and SammysHP to solicit their feedback.
If you need this feature, perhaps you could try it on the S8000 or S4000 Pro.

1 Thank

Thanks. I think my comment lost something in the translation.

I was thinking out loud that SkyRC should/could add charging of Li-ion 1.5V cells in a firmware update that actually does something useful and that we know about.

There has been commentary in other threads on BLF that SkyRC MC3000 firmware updates leave something to be desired in terms of function and information. Thus there do not seem to be compelling reasons to update with them. Great charger, less than optimal firmware updates.

I understand what you mean now.
We have not only added the charging function for 1.5V lithium batteries but also discharge and capacity measurement functions.
If you have any other requirements, please let us know. We will get back to you after evaluation.
By the way, do you currently use 1.5V lithium batteries? What do you think of them?

I use 1.5V Li-ion batteries for: wireless keyboards, air-conditioner remote controls, childrenā€™s toys.

I found that they improve my experience. The wireless keyboard doesnā€™t disconnect as much. The LCD on the remote control is easier to see etc.

No - I donā€™t use them at present. I might do in just a couple of applications that donā€™t seem to like 1.2V so much, and where they might improve use of that application - as Tim says above.

But I do not really want to get in to another type of cell which needs a new/different charger. At present the MC3000 fulfills more than all my needs (except of course 9V). This ā€˜Ć§omprehensivenessā€™ is what appeals to me about the Gyrfalcon models but from what I can read, these models (even with Li-ion 1.5V charging) are not yet up to the capabilities of the MC3000 - but they appear to be getting there.

2 Thanks

I also have some 1,5V LiIon but use it only for a few devices which have problems with the lower NiMH-voltage. And IĀ“m a bit skeptical about the internal voltage converter. It seems to be the high frequency of it causes problems with e.g. radio controlled clocks.

I think itĀ“s more the thing that the Gyrfalcons can be the 1st chargers with these features for 1,5V LiIon which deserves an applause than the features itself :wink:

Request feature: Is it possible to show the values of the last cell till another cell is inserted? Sometimes I eject the cells to fast and forget to take a look at values. And with universal chargers with spring mechanism a short contact loose could happen if a cell is inserted/ejected in the next slot. Most times itĀ“s not a big thing but I also do sometimes NiMH-self-discharge tests and itĀ“s annoying if I stored a cell a year and it looses contact.

I bought a set of them and charger (Xtar) for a specific reason. Remote Sensors for a weather station. Some are in difficult to reach places and a pain to actually change the cells IOW I donā€™t want to change cells any more often than I absolutely have toā€¦ The main problem that I found is the relatively high self discharge rate. Additionally, the ones I got were about 15% below the rated capacity. Though I must say that the Xtar cells are the best of the three brands that I have checked. If they can do something about the self discharge problem and lower the price a bit, I would consider getting more of them. For now, NIMH cells do a better job (for my use case) for the things I need rechargeable AA cells in.

BTW, I am waiting to hear from Enova on how to purchase the new S8000 charger. :+1:

1 Thank

I think itĀ“s more the thing that the Gyrfalcons can be the 1st chargers with these features for 1,5V LiIon which deserves an applause than the features itself.

This is also a unique value proposition we provide to users. Creating a good product that is oriented around genuine customer needs.

Request feature: Is it possible to show the values of the last cell till another cell is inserted?

What parameters should be preserved after removing the battery? Capacity and energy? We can add an optional setting in GSV, where the default setting clears all parameters after removing the battery. Alternatively, users can choose to retain these parameters post battery removal, which can then be queried in SOV. We havenā€™t decided on a name for this setting and option yet. What name should we use?

BTW, I am waiting to hear from Enova on how to purchase the new S8000 charger.

The Gyrfalcon S8000 and S4000 Pro have arrived at the dealership warehouse and will be available for sale on shelves soon.

I really appreciate that you care about customers and add so many features in your new chargers :slight_smile:

Vapcell announced they will also bring a charger with charge/discharge/test of 1,5V LiIon, but we still wait for this charger. Xtar also announced last week or so, I remember the last time they announced a new charger it takes not much time till the release.

I donĀ“t know the market mindshare of 1,5V LiIon because itĀ“s very special and mostly to expensive. I use some cells of that kind but more than hundred NiMH. Yeah, the features for LiIon is nice but not sure if many ppl waiting for it, even here in this enthusiast-forum :wink:

Charged/discharged Capacity and time would be nice.

IĀ“m not sure if it is easy to hold these values e.g. 10 seconds after the contact is interrupted (if it was interrupted by accident from the user it should be enough time to notice the values). Or if itĀ“s activated the charger autosave the last 10 tasks which can be called by the user with a few button presses.

DonĀ“t know/maybe donĀ“t understand your name schema

ā€œLast tasksā€, ā€œStored Tasksā€ or something?

My concern is the real time resting voltage of the cell anytime a cell is in a slot. Retaining data after a cell is removed would have to be an option and should probably be time limited. Such a feature could be inconvenient if there is a need to clear data before charging the next cell. I am sure it would use more power on a continuing basis if it did not time out. Maybe call it Retain Readings, or Retain Results. Maybe, Keep Cell Info. Maybe Data Timeout ??

This sounds like an excellent idea!

I hope there is a possibility to store it but without a need to clear manually; but if the values of last cell still showed a one-button-touch for clear it should be OK for every user.

ThatĀ“s why asked about a 10-second-timeslot or automatic save of the last 10 cells which are overwritten automatically.

activated the charger autosave the last 10 tasks which can be called by the user with a few button presses.

For anyone who has a need for this feature, please share your opinions or suggestions, the more detailed, the better.
Weā€™re open to adapting to accommodate your needs.

Here are the details and a schematic diagram.
Save the most recent 12 tasks (including tasks that ended unexpectedly or ended normally), with a rolling overwrite. The most recent tasks should appear at the top.

Hi BLF,

Could anyone kindly share their experience with NiZn batteries?

Worst cell chemistry I ever had in more than 40 years (Have accu cells since Kid-times)

I had NiZn AA from 3 brands and AAA from one brand.

The charging needs much much time and that is the less annoying.

In a device with more than one cells you will mostly ended up with minimum one over-discharged cell which you can throw directly in the trash. Refreshing/charging etc. failed with different chargers.

Most of my cells are already in the trash, the other ones maybe soon, too.

Will never buy such cells again.

Maybe it was OK for ppl who need higher voltage than with NiMH, but I think NiZn have no future, thereĀ“s a reason why only a few chargers can handle NiZn.

I think the 1,5V LiIon is the better choice if you need more than NiMH-voltage.

Tried also NiZn in the past, have similar problems. First I thought my charger is bad but with another charger the same prob. Cells extremely sensitive for over-discharging. Because of the higher voltage mabe the device is still working whilee single cells are already over-discharged.

No matter which charging current I select, the current decrease, long charging times or never-ending charging.

This looks good, for me itĀ“s OK if the last 4 cells are stored. I donĀ“t think I will take a look some days later at these values because I will not remember which cell it was :grin:

I use many NiMHs and know also this prob that the contact of smaller cells is not so good, if I try to insert or eject the cell on another slot the contact could get lost and the values are gone even if I react fast.