GYRFALCON S8000, S4000 Pro Battery Charger & Analyzer

The two main things I would like to see retained is the rue actual voltage of the cell when the disconnect happened. This for both charge and discharge. And of course, capacity for discharge or an analyze cycle (CDC) would be required. Yes, i think I would really only need to save the results the last/previous cell used for each slot.
Of course, if you ever got to where a computer interface is possible, we could store history for a nearly unlimited number of cells with full data.

Thank you for feedback from Larry_B and Johnny_Bravo. The user experience with NiZn batteries is not satisfactory, and there are few users. Therefore, we will not be adding support for NiZn batteries at this time.

Larry_B said
Request feature: Is it possible to show the values of the last cell till another cell is inserted?

enova said
Save the most recent 12 tasks (including tasks that ended unexpectedly or ended normally), with a rolling overwrite. The most recent tasks should appear at the top.

Johnny_Bravo said
This looks good, for me itĀ“s OK if the last 4 cells are stored. I donĀ“t think I will take a look some days later at these values because I will not remember which cell it was :grin:

Mandrake50 said
Of course, if you ever got to where a computer interface is possible, we could store history for a nearly unlimited number of cells with full data.

From the feedback above, it seems that implementing this feature through the chargerā€™s main unit may lack practicality and add complexity to operations. However, achieving this functionality through computer software would be much better.

Based on TimMcā€™s suggestion, we have added a more practical feature: both protected and unprotected cells could be activated from 0V.

2 Thanks

ItĀ“s OK for me if a cell with blown protection can be activated, but IĀ“m not a fan of charging deep discharged LiIon cells. I think no cell is worth to risk a fire or explosion.

The voltage of the battery will be shown at the beginning. If the user still decides to start charging itā€™s their own risk.

1 Thank

Not sure if every user know about the danger

Thanks! That makes it possible to charge a protected cell where Low Voltage Protection has been activated while going below the limit (e.g. 2.8V) and the voltage measured is 0V. Applying a small current may cause the cell to immediately jump above 2.8V.

Not sure if every user know about the danger

Protected cells(a protected cell where Low Voltage Protection has been triggered) are typically safe, while unprotected over-discharged cells (a unprotected cell that has been deeply over-discharged) require users to make their own judgment. Even if the S8000 and S4000 activate unprotected over-discharged cells (voltage rises to above 0.3V but below 2V), starting the charging process still requires confirmation again from the user.

In GSV, there is an item ā€˜ACTIVATE BATT ENABLEā€™ that can be toggled on or off, with the default being off. This function requires a combination key operation to access, and each execution lasts for 2 minutes.

Did it mean thereĀ“s something like a warning or just a ā€œAre you sureā€?

A smart charger should be smarter than some of itĀ“s users :wink:

What about over-discharged NiMH? I have an old cheap charger which charges everything on very low voltage and one better NiMH-only-charger which start at 0,001V. But many other chargers donĀ“t charge about below 0,5; 0,75; 0,8V

Over-discharged NiMHs lost capacity but are not dangerous like LiIon. I only noticed some chargers have problems to terminate because the voltage drop never comes or the voltage stays below 1,45V. Best charger for that is IMHO still the Vapcell S4+, maybe it uses a protection algorithm or 0dV.

Did it mean thereĀ“s something like a warning or just a ā€œAre you sureā€?

When you insert a deeply over-discharged cell (below 2V) in the Li-ion task, it shows ā€œconfirm again!ā€ and doesnā€™t start charging until you press enter.

What about over-discharged NiMH?

In the latest firmware, we have set the recognizable minimum voltage to around 300mV, but of course, we can also set it lower to 100mV or 50mV.

For over-discharged NiMH cells, if the voltage is above 300mV, the pre-charge task can be started. If itā€™s below 300mV, the activation program can be used first. Once the voltage rises to 300mV, the charging task can then be started.

I only noticed some chargers have problems to terminate because the voltage drop never comes or the voltage stays below 1,45V.

For the Gyrfalcon S8000 and S4000 Pro, charging tasks can be configured according to the actual conditions of NiMh cells, including 0DV, -DV, maximum charging time, cutoff voltage, and capacity limit (as suggested by SammysHP).

1 Thank

Is there also something like ā€œoverdiscarged, continue at your own riskā€? If itĀ“s to long then the text can be switched?

Like I said, charging over discharged NiMHs are not dangerous, I refreshed cells with <0,1V, so starting at 50mV would be fine for me.

Did the charger let the user select the cell type (because these voltages are possible with different chemistries) or did it start to charge and select the chemistry based on the voltage behavior? But my experience is that over discharged NiMHs make high voltage jumps to a higher voltage than normal full NiMHs have

I would simply not allow users to charge Li cells below 2 V or so.

I donā€™t get the point of such a function. It is just potentially dangerous, depending on cell and circumstances. For tripped protection ICs as some sort of ā€œrestartā€ function ok, but not as normal charging for unprotected ones.

I like the option. I agree there can be problems involved in using it, but I donā€™t believe the risks are high.
Frankly, I donā€™t want people (or entities) protecting me from myself.

I have used the same kind of recovery function on many cells over time and never had a problem. Resulting in a useable cell where all parameters of the cell measure fine once it is recharged.
Not to say there will never be a problem. I have read a great deal about LiIon care and handling. I know what is said about the risks charging over discharged cells and the reasons for them. I just have never had a problem after doing it on many occasions. That doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t believe there are risks. But with knowledge and proper testing , I believe the risks are minimal.

I do not recommend the practice if the user is not well informed and does not do proper testing. But I also do not think that the feature should be left out of a charger for those that know what they are doing.

Incidentally, my primary charger, the MC3000 will not charge LiIon cells under a certain voltage. It is something that I miss in that charger.

Well, the option may make sense for you. But: you are an enthusiast (we all are), you have looked into the subject and have gathered knowledge about it independently and out of your own interest. However, this charger will also be bought and used by people who do not have this knowledge and who will not acquire this knowledge before using this charger or who will simply use the function without considering the consequences. Yeah, this might be unlikely since it will not be available at the local hardware store, but still. For many, the danger behind lithium batteries is simply not really there, because - itā€™s safe, cell phones and laptops donā€™t catch fire every dayā€¦

I have no real doubt that we can handle such a function properly and responsibly. But in the end - from my point of view - uninformed users must be protected from themselves, as the potential danger is there and, above all, others (uninvolved) can also be endangered, for example if the house burns down or others are injured by any runaways.

But maybe Iā€™m wrong, thatā€™s just my opinion on the subject.

Also unexperienced users can use smart chargers

I think the best way is to deactivate this function by default.

If anyone really know about the risk he should have this option but have to activate it in the settings.

It could be that some lucky ppl never have exploding over-discharged LiIon but still itĀ“s the most dangerous accu chemistry in the consumer market.

1 Thank

Thatā€™s what I basically wrote. :wink: This charger will be bought also by non-flashlight enthusiasts. And the charger has to be just as smart to avoid potentially harmful situations, like burning cells.

If this function absolutely has to be included, it should firstly be switched off by default and secondly be marked in bold in the instructions as ā€œcan be dangerousā€. Furthermore, I donā€™t want this to be mentioned in the marketing in the slightest, not on store pages, nor on other circumstances.

I just donā€™t understand itā€¦ if the battery is really deeply discharged, it is sent for recycling and I buy a new one. Thatā€™s it. Theyā€™re not that expensive after all. Why risk anything, knowledge or not?

1 Thank

Just curious, do you have any specific data that quantifies the real risk involved in recharging a LiIon cell with low voltage? Sure we read about problems with lithium based cells catching fire, but it seems like (in the past) this was phones and more recently EVs. After years here and at CPF and general reading online, I have not found any incidents of human or property damage that is directly tied to ā€œrevivingā€ cells using a very low current.

If I was convinced that there was a significant risk, and that the likelihood was high perhaps I would be more likely to agree with your position on this.

If everyone adopted this approach, we could not drive our cars, ride our bicycles, ride a train, fly, or even eat at a restaurant. I mean, is there not any acceptable risk?

For me, the biggest problem is that I cannot assess what the cell looks like inside after such a deep discharge. Sure, at over 1.5 V it may be good (with a reduction in capacity due to irreversible damage, donā€™t know how big the impact is tho), but anything below that is pure gambling. For over-discharge there is always talk of copper bridges that could have formed inside and thus cause short circuits (and in worst case thermal runaway or fire) during charging or normal use.

And honestly? I take so many risks in my daily life that I donā€™t need to take additional risks with batteries that donā€™t cost much. :smiley:

But I am also interested in numbers regarding thermal runaways for cells after abusing under normal conditions (deep discharge and something)

Simple question: Do you know the chemical process happens in an overdischarged LiIon cell or not?

DonĀ“t think you can compare this

A 18650-cell costs a few dollars, risk of fire and explosion for this? Also mentioned that the capacity of an over-discharged cell isnĀ“t good as a new one.

1 Thank

Thank you for the wonderful discussion from Larry_B, Mandrake50, and koef3.
ļ»æ
As Larry_B saied, it seems that the preferable way is to default to disabling the activation function and not allowing charging for lithium batteries below 2V. For enthusiasts who truly understand the risks, they can activate the relevant options.

Iā€™d also like to discuss our confusion from the perspective of charger manufacturers.
ļ»æ
Letā€™s consider a scenario: a user has a 1.5V liion cell, an S8000 charger, and another charger X (which provides simple activation functionality). Additionally, this user has limited knowledge about lithium cells.
ļ»æ
When the user places the over-discharged cell into charger X, there are no prompts or button presses required. After a certain period, the cell can be taken out and used.
ļ»æ
However, when the user places the same cell into the S8000 charger, there is a warning is given about the risk and charging is not allowed (meaning the cell should be sent for recycling and buy a new one). If the user wants to use the activation function similar to charger X, the user needs to have a deeper understanding of battery knowledge, carefully read the manual, understand the meanings of the settings, adjust settings, also they also need to understand the significance of warning messagesā€¦
ļ»æ
Which charger do you think the user would ultimately choose? X or S8000?