GYRFALCON S8000, S4000 Pro Battery Charger & Analyzer

Today I have tested the 1.5V Li-ion charging and discharging program. Here is the result of a charging run:

And here the same battery with a different charger:

As you can see there are some details that must be fixed in the S8000 (like available settings and default value). I will explain the details via email.

1 Thank

My question is what the level of risk is and more important, where is it documented? The only things I find on this are people repeating things that have been said for many years, which could be no more than internet rumors. I have a basic understanding of the chemistry and the basis for the concerns. My problem is that I find no current testing to validate it. LiIon cell chemistry and construction has changed greatly over the years since the initial statements on this were posted. Now, maybe, we just read repeated statements based on what may be out dated information.

Again, I am not making any recommendations. I just know my experience (a very limited data set). I have brought many cells back form lower than the voltage that most chargers will allow them to be charged from. I have done lots of testing of the main parameters of the cell (SOH indicators). Resting voltage, capacity, temperature under load, and AC Internal resistance. The cells look fine. I do segregate them and do not use them for battery packs or high drain applications. But that is mostly having read of people claiming dire consequences.

But I also try not to participate in the throw away mentality that most of us subscribe to.

Again, and I have to emphasize this, I am not telling anyone that they should do this. Rather just documenting my experience.

1 Thank

That depends on the level of experience of the user. Unfortunately I think the typical user would prefer X.
It is aid that, “ignorance is bliss”. They just want to put a cell in and have it work.

My question is, does Enova consider having the feature in place as a default to be a significant risk for the user and from a liability standpoint? As a provider of chargers, you are in a better place to assess this than most of us here. It appears that some manufacturers have decided the risk is minimal and have made the “feature” the default.

1 Thank

I got a note from Melody at Enova sales. The chargers are available at Lion WHolesale at a discounted price for now. For the S8000:

This pricing is not the 25% off that was promised for BLF people that contributed to this thread. Not sure what happened to that offer. But I am a bit disappointed. It is only a 5% difference, but a promise is a promise.

Quote: If lithium-ion batteries are not used for a long time, they can completely discharge. Decomposition of the electrolyte liquid can lead to the formation of easily combustible gases. If an attempt is made to recharge the deeply discharged lithium-ion cells, the supplied energy can no longer be correctly converted due to insufficient electrolyte fluid. Deep discharge can result in a short circuit or fire.

You can switch on the subtitle translation, the interestering part begins at 5:10

Then you´re OK if this function is disabled by default?

I shouldn´t care for me because I use LiIon very rare but Enova should also aware of the danger of LiIon.

Good video, Thanks for posting it!
This is a specific case where cells have just been sitting for a long time. Not left in a light that has been on for too long, or AUX lights left on… and discovered relatively quickly. This video doesn’t show sources either. I have been looking hard for something from manufacturers or scholarly (peer reviewed) published
papers that cover this subject, but haven’t found what I am looking for. The video seems like another rehash of very old “common Wisdom”.

Incidentally, I read a bunch of the comments (more than half), there was no mention of cylindrical cells being revived than catching fire.

In any case, I am sure Enova is aware of any risks. As are all of the few other manufacturers that enable this feature by default. (so far I have not read anything anywhere about any disasters caused by even casual users reviving cells using the feature).

I don’t care if the option is in a menu with a warning attached. I will enable it as part of my initial setup. OTH, it is a selling point that the competition uses and advertises prominently in their ADs. So there is that consideration for Enova. As they hope to sell their chargers to more than hard core hobbyists…

I´m not sure whether all manufacturers/brands mean the same with 0V-revive/reactivation.

I think some mean the reactivation of protected cells with triggered fuse. Not sure for the english part of the manuals or specifications but the translations in my language it´s sometimes hard to understand what they really mean :wink:

The chemical process is mentioned and that´s a better info than in many other topics/videos I saw. Not want to force you to believe it.

I think we have stated our mind for this topic and can go back to general topics about this charger :slight_smile:

Hope for a soon release in the EU and for a similar price :grin:

68$ = ca. 63€, MC3000-price here is starting at ca. 120€

And even about what its arrival might do to stimulate other new chargers. Such as an MC3000-v2 with charging for 1.5V li-ion cells and protected 21700s - and the contentious 0V resurrection.

I´m not sure if 0V reactivation is such a killer feature :wink:

I think Skyrc is still more a manufacturer of Hobby chargers and NiMH chargers

Safety over profit, we choose safety.

Charging deeply discharged cells carries potential risks. We opt for more protection for uninformed users and others (uninvolved).

The functionality to activate low-voltage cells is by default turned off.
Additionally, we have added a strong protection feature for lithium-ion cells, which is enabled by default. When the cell voltage drops below 2V, charging tasks will not be started.

I extend my sincere gratitude once again to Mandrake50, Larry_B, and koef3. Thank you for your engaging and candid discussion.

4 Thanks

Very good, I think your solution is a good choice in terms of overall safety. Thank you.

Agree, good solution :slight_smile:

And hope for a soon release in EU :grin:

Hi BLF,

Could anyone kindly share their experience with Na-ion (Sodium Ion) cells?

Thanks.

I haven’t used them yet. Not enough energy density for the things I would use them in. But in trying to help a member find a charger to charge his Na-Ion cells, there seem to be lots of people out there looking for a charger that has a dedicated cycle to charge them and to measure capacity. Nothing, including the MC3000 seems to be able to have a discharge voltage cut off low enough to properly measure them.

If not immediately, then in the not too distant future, I think that would be a great selling point if the feature could be added to the S4000/S8000

Request feature: Is it possible to show the values of the last cell till another cell is inserted? Sometimes I eject the cells to fast and forget to take a look at values. And with universal chargers with spring mechanism a short contact loose could happen if a cell is inserted/ejected in the next slot. Most times it´s not a big thing but I also do sometimes NiMH-self-discharge tests and it´s annoying if I stored a cell a year and it looses contact.

For this feature request, we have implemented a compromise solution. When the charger detects that the cell is removed or a voltage of 0V, parameters CAPACITY, ENERGY, and TOTAL TIME will not be erased. You can view these parameters by clicking the channel button to enter the CSV (SOV) interface. This way, when using the discharge function to test the capacity of the protected cells (including 1.5V Liion), the data will not be lost. When the charger detects a cell is inserted again, the data will be automatically reset.
ďťż
If you need to retain more data, achieving this functionality through computer software would be much better in the future.

3 Thanks

Thanks, it´s a good feature. Don´t think I will use it everyday but sometimes it will be useful :slight_smile:

Would it be convenient for end users if the 10 most commonly used programs were pre-installed in the charger? If so, what are the ten programs? The long names (no more than 16 characters) and short names (no more than 10 characters) of these programs can also be customized for easier identification.

Puh, I think the meaning of a charger like this is that anyone can built it´s own program, not sure if there are common programs.

It may be a good idea. Sort of a quick start series of options. For those that want easy at all costs.
Maybe the difficult part would be selecting the 10 that would make the most people happy.

In any case, I can’t see that it would hurt.

The Gyrfalcon S8000 and S4000 Pro have added PC data logging capabilities, allowing them to generate tables and charts. The related firmware update has been released. We plan to first send the latest firmware version to TimMC and SammysHP to solicit their feedback, opinions, and review.

3 Thanks