Heck with using Heat/Gas for de-doming

Hey guys im making this thread to post my results on how i do my De-doming and what i just found that WORKS AWESOME :)

all info with pics will be posted tomorrow

I get a clean de-domed led with no goo if that's what u want to call it, the only spot is next to the bond wire BUT this stuff makes the dome brittle and crumbles with a slight touch, i also used compressed air on a led and blew 98% of the dome off perfect :)

sorry but im existed to finally find something that works better than heat and gas, ill keep this thread updated with the brand name of the liquid/pics

U tease

Trying to guess here…did you turn one of those canned air cans upside down and freeze it?

Give us some pictures and details!!!

I'll share my fabulous flawless de-dome right now with pictures.

Now we need to figure out how to put a dome on it… :stuck_out_tongue:

Benzyl alcohol?

This might be mentioned before but this is what im going to use for now on :) ill post pics of the led after work ill have to use a better camera

Method? How long?

Some info from the website:

Thanks David ^^^^ i used a little plastic tackle box that has little squares in it about 1inch x 1inch fill it half way up lay the led face up for a hour, then the dome will be off and i then re-soak it for another half hr and blow the remaining dome (if any) off with a can of air

clean as can be

Is there any tint shift after de-dome using this?

Hot dedoming is still much faster, but this does sound like better option than gasoline.

Sure there will be tint shift due to what the dome does, but hopefully not some much shift to green that gasoline seems to responsible for. Really crossing my figures and hoping for the best on this method.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Who is going to be the brave soul that dedomes a MT-G2 ?

A few people have already successfully de-domed an MT-G2 with other methods. It would be nice to know if this stuff is easier/safer than those other ways.

i can i got 4 MT-G2, im not sure on the tint shift it did not dawn on me to take a before and after pic, im out of led's so ill order 2 of the same kind to test the shift change

Nope, just cleans it.

Guys, if you want to use acteon based solutions, it works.

BUT Mitko reported that when he occidentally forgot them in aceton for a while, how long i don’t know but much longer than necessary, he damaged the emitters so they pulled MUCH less amp after the dedome.

So be careful and don’t leave them there for to long.

I haven't tried paint stripper, but every other solvent I've tried seems to give more green tint shift than just peeling the dome off. Anything that could potentially attack the phosphor is not good. Paint stripper is strong stuff that is meant to attack pretty much anything--event chemically hardened 2K paints (that are resistant to gasoline).