Help/advice needed for diy UV light for Amber searching

Hello, I’m relatively new to the forums but not to fluorescent collecting. Here are my qualifications:

I skimmed over the posts here and noticed that some of your questions were not answered. Here are some random comments and thoughts I had:

• Your goal of 5-10 meters is a bit unreasonable for amber collecting. It fluoresces a greyish blue. Some have hints of dull yellow. It can pretty easily blend into the moonlight if you’re not aware of what phase the moon is at at those distances. I’d say more realistic is 2-3 considering current technology. Unless you can get 20-40V of power in the field the only LEDs that I’m aware of are about 3W power with radiant flux of about 1W (Nichia, LEDEngin are the biggest names). This assumes you’re only using 1 LED.
  • Battery life isn’t the issue with UV LEDs. It’s the ridiculously high forward voltage. The LZ1 has a Vf of 3.5 and the Nichia equivalent 3.75! There was also a Chinese company that made 365nm LEDs. Commonly paired with Ultrafire, Tank, etc. P60 dropins. Can’t remember offhand but I tested them as well. Discarded because they were nowhere near as efficient but their Vf was like 3.4 as well? Don’t quote me on that.
  • For UV eye protection just get safety glasses that are coated to block out UVA/B. This covers the entire gambit if you ever decide to go to UVC territory (and spend a lot more than $250 for your setup!). I’m personally not a fan of tinted glasses as that just makes it harder to collect though I know people use yellow sometimes. Always test them though! Just shine your UV light on an object that fluoresces and then place it between them and see if fluorescence is negated.

If you have any more, please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your input ICSK! Great images in your link. Can't find any amber though ... ;-)

After some field testing with the 400nm flashlight djozz sent me (haven't received my 365nm drop-in from customlites yet), I have yet to see any amber glow blue.

All of it fluoresces at a bright yellow (mostly visible within 1 meter of the flashlight). Maybe the yellow (and no blue) response, is because of all of the visible light the LED emits. I can tell that for sure when i receive the 365nm drop-in.

Also from my testing a 18650 lasts 1½-2 hours of almost continuous use. I don't know what LED it is. Will have to ask djozz. And I'm not sure what forward voltage means. Googling it right now :-)

For safety glasses I'm using my Oakley M-frame with clear lens - and sometimes i use my Crossbow as they leave some room for my prescription glasses.

Both blocks all UV - I also tested it as you described. Used a danish 100dkr banknote.

Totally agree about the tint. I tried a yellow tinted lens as i read somewhere that it would make the fluorescence standout by filtering out some of the visible purple light. Maybe it would work at dusk/dawn or in a small amount of daylight. But as I only go out at night they only make it harder to see and navigate.

Got it :-)

http://flashlightwiki.com/Terminology#Vf

Focalprice 395-410nm P60 drop-in.

Tmart SK-68 copy w/CREE Q5 UV emitter.

For a cheap alternative, would either of these suffice?

Edit: Pics are links to the items.

Andrew and Amanda will have a Nitecore CU6 Ultraviolet 440 lumens output flashlight on sale for $79.00 on February 21, 2015. One day sale. They will also have a Nitecore C16 Infrared 440 lumens output flashlight on sale for $59.00 on that day. I did not read the entire thread. Sorry if someone else also posted this.

Thank you hestbech for your link.

I have tested 365nm (if I can trust the seller) I reflowed red, green xpe, and 3535 uv led on noctigon 3xp star. I tested with carclo 3up lens, and ledil 3up lens, (ledil lens is about 2mm thicker than carclo, and a bit larger in diameter), I also tested petg 1\8t thick, and 1\8 polycarbonate.

as a test subject I use, Jamaican $100 bill, it has 2 different kinds of ink that glow at different wavelengths. with either polycarbonate lens or polycarbonate sheet, nothing glowed, with ledil pmma lens and petg “glass” over it, same things would still glow, just like with no lenses\glass at all, but intensity was reduced, to my eye about 30% was lost. I also noticed, the loss was mostly due to pmma lens, petg sheet, however almost did not reduce intensity.
so imo best to avoid lenses, I may still build 1 light with that star, that I already have, but any future 365nm uv builds will be reflector only.

Forgot I had an old post on CPF explaining a lot of this. Some info mmander has given but I go into more detail.

Post is here:

Apologies for the lack of response. No one was able to help me so I had long discarded this as a resource for information. However, CPF has helped me in the past so I feel obligated to help the next people in line. I hope this response will be a catch-all to those wanting to make a 365nm flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by purduephotog View Post
Wow. How far off was their reference spectra from what you measured?
Unfortunately I do not have a spectrometer to test these things out with. My Samsung phone has a debug mode that gave me readings from the light sensor though. This is the best information I could get:

LED ENGIN LZ1
7000K ~6000 lux held right against sensor driven at 1A (the max according to LED Engin’s spec sheet. I noticed the same green tint at 500ma but did not do any testing at that range.)

Chinese no-name 365nm LED. Here’s a picture of a 3x LED version. I’ve seen them in 1x 3W,2x 5W, or 3x 7W offerings: Imgur: The magic of the Internet . They have a max of 1.2A per LED according to the eBay seller I contacted. Take that with a grain of salt. I tested at 1A safely though.

7000K ~400 lux held right against sensor driven at 500ma

Not quite apples and oranges with the different draws but hopefully that illustrates just how much visible light is coming out of the LED Engin LZ1

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
Other members here have had great luck with the LED ENGIN LZ1. Maybe you did something wrong with your build?
Perhaps. It was only a sample size of 2. I don’t discount the possibility that this particular batch was bad or my 2 samples were not representative. I can only speak from my experience. I’m not sure where one could go wrong though. It’s literally an LED and driver soldered together for P60 dropins. Sure color temperatures and outputs can change with temperature increases but the problems consistently happened whether it was a cold start or after 5 minutes of operation.

Conclusion. What I did in the end:
Even though I berated the LZ1 I stuck with it. Why? Because it was the most efficient at 1A. To compensate for the visible light I used a cutoff filter. They can go under different names:
Woods filter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc…\_UV_Woods.html

LW filter (LW = Longwave). SW filter should be the same as my recommended glass.
http://www.uvsystems.com/store/home.php?cat=5

Hoya U-325C My recommended glass. The other 2 only transfer about 60% UVA. This one does 80%. Don’t quote me on those exact numbers. Just know that this one transfers the most UV. Also the most expensive
http://www.fluorescents.com/ $5.50 per sq in as of 2014. Talk to Becky.

If you just want a solution you can use out of the box the no name 365nm LEDs that Tank, Ultrafire, etc. use. They’re all the same LED I bet. If you are willing to cut glass or use adhesive to stick the filter onto the end of your flashlight go with the LED Engin.

Examples:
Here are some photos to help illustrate my point. Focus on the materials fluorescing as opposed to the visible light. That’s the point of a UV light after all. I tried to make the brightnesses equal at the same EV so I don’t see the need to emphasize the settings I used. Also keep in mind the no name Chinese is running at 500ma.

In this first set of imagesimages we can see that all of them will do fine for discovering stains. I’m not sure what these stains are from exactly as they were left by the previous owner but I’d bet on chemical. I’m told that urine stains are more subtle so maybe that’s what the blue is?

The first image is the no name Chinese 365nm LED. You can easily see the yellow staining and the blue stain pops out. Much better with the visible eye. Remember 500ma vs 1A! In the second the same is true for the LED Engin LZ1. It might be a bit harder to see due to less contrast with the visible light but it’s evident if you look hard enough. The third image definitely won’t make sense unless you’ve used a proper UV light. It’s the filtered 365nm. What’s going on here is that the bleach that the carpet makers used is weakly fluorescing but doing so nonetheless. The fact that this can pick up on that makes this a top class 365nm light in my book. Also notice how much more blue staining you can see.

I didn’t feel that that illustrated my point well enough though so I took another set. It hopefully illustrates the detriments visible light does to subtle fluorescence The subject is a mangano calcite from Peru. The first photo is a natural light image. The second is the filtered 365nm. This is what our LEDs should strive for ignoring the blue lint. The third is the no name 365nm LED. It clearly shows fluorescence but the color seems slightly altered. Likely due to the slight bit of purple light coming out. The last one is the LED Engin LZ1. This one shows why you want little visible light out of your UV lights. You can barely see the fluorescence at all if you compare it to the visible light shot.

I have seen some take the SRK 3X emitter flashlights and create a wide spectrum light (combing a warm,neutral,and cool white emitters in one housing)…doing this with the UV emitters would be the same thing but in the UV spectrum.

Awesome pictures and you definitely have gotten the thinking caps on some of the gurus here

I co-created (Mattaus was the superguru that did most of the board layout) a driver for the SRK with 3 separate channels w/ 5*7135’s per channel, just leave one of the 7135’s off and you have a 4*7135 3 channel driver at 1.4A per emitter, w/ the added capability of having 4-18650’s in parallel powering the device.
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/eblIPvqT

Well, I was at my dad’s on the weekend but I’m afraid the amber tests will have to wait until he is back from vacation in a few weeks. I searched for a while, found my mom’s old jewelry box but the amber necklace and broach I remember her having were nowhere to be found. There is a chance that my dad gave my aunt the amber jewelry when my mom passed away, or simply that it is hidden somewhere else in his house. In the meantime, sadly, my aunt has also passed away so I cannot ask her either. I will send my dad an email asking about it, but I may need to wait until his return, sorry…

Been busy the last couple of days. From one night by using a 400nm djozz-light:

Thanks! I already ordered a Solarforce L2N and a p60 UV drop-in from customlites, but had to send the drop-in back because of a faulty LED. Still waiting for it to return ...

Thanks for the heads up :-)

Great info on the pmma and petg "plastics". Have to check if my lens is actually pure glass.

ICSK: Great info in your candlepowerforums thread. That's quite a difference in visible light output between the LEDEngin and the Chinese LED. Especially your images of the mangano calcite illustrates it quite clear.

I'm still considering if I should buy a filter. But I'll postpone the decision til I receive the P60 drop-in so I can compare 400nm to 365nm. Those filters are sooooo expensive. Will have to find a 400 gram piece of amber to justify such a purchase. The pieces that wash ashore right now is 5 gram max :-) - the biggest one in the picture above is 2-4 gram and not worth much. Max 1USD/gram. A 10+ gram piece could be up to 15USD/gram.

So far I have been using the 400nm flashlight djozz sent me, and it's doing great even though there is a substantial amount of visible light. The amount of visible light is actually ok. After 5-10 minutes with no other light than the 400nm UV my night-sight (not sure if its the right word ... - the ability to see at night) starts to settle in.

With a pure UV light with no visible light at all I would constantly have to turn on my headlamp to navigate - and thereby loosing my night-sight. Also, walking around in pitch black darkness can be a bit scary once you step on a seal - dead or alive. Only tried stepping on a dead one though. And as their size is the same as a human it's quite a scare (and smelly!) until you have your headlamp turned on.

Great idea with the SRK 3X emitter and different UV-LED's. I've also been thinking somewhat along those lines. But I'll have to test the 400nm vs 365nm, filtered if possible, before i make the decision. I have a suspicion that some of the amber responds differently to the two wavelengths. Some of the pieces I found with 400nm UV was almost not fluorecent, so I hope they will respond better to 365. If that's so a SRK with two/three different wavelengths makes good sense.

If there is no difference and say a 365nm is best, I will have wasted two LED's in the SRK setup. Having the LED's in three different flashlights will enable me to sell the ones who doesn't respond well to amber. - oh, and I get to make a cool tactical-picatinny-handle-ofDOOM-thingy for them :-p

And thanks for the heads up on your SRK driver

mmander: I'm so sorry for your losses :-( Don't stress out about the photos. If you find the time, great - If not, its totally OK.

Edit: I have no idea about why the quote by kronological is FUBAR ...

This thread needed some results! Almost done with mine :slight_smile: Just needs some cleaning of the reflector and soldering the LEDs. Optional step is grinding a circular 55mm Hoya glass lens. Depends on if I can find someone to do it. It’s 5mm thick!

Nice! Tell about your build. What host, driver and so on.

Looks like some of the LEDs are off center under the dome. Could be the angle of the photo ...

Supfire M6 with stock driver. Just remove resistors as needed (to get ~1A per emitter in my case). Was considering going crazy and getting something like a 7x or 9x SkyRay King haha. However, that’s almost as much as a new UVC light setup and I think I’m going to value full sized reflectors more over a flood of light. I’ll have to experiment with this once I finish it. The LEDs are by far and away the biggest cost in this case so I don’t mind taking incremental steps like this.

The LEDs probably are off center slightly as I did it by hand. The angle of the photo isn’t 90 degrees though so that accentuates the position.

A 9x SkyRay would have been fantastic - and crazy :-)

Sorry -i didn't mean the LEDs was badly placed by you - but if you look at the LED, the interior seem to be off center under the dome.

I got a faulty Led in my Ledengin p60 dropin (part of it didn't emit light -see post #69) so i send it back. The replacement i received was slightly off center under the dome. Will post an image later. The off center amount is so small that it does not seem to affect the output though.

In post #72 another off centered LED.

Ledengin does seem to have issues with getting their LED die centered properly. Add that LED with a bad section which you received Hestbech, their quality control feels to be lacking.

Ah in that case yes. I’ve handled 5 or so now from different batches and they all suffer from the same problems:

1) Lots of visible light
2) Loose spectrum. All of them produce a green beam
3) Off centered LEDs. All of my samples were consistently shifted up the 12 to 1 o clock position.

The monstrosity is completed late at night.
AUW: 1 lb 7.7oz, 671g (inc batteries)

No clue how one does beamshots with a light that produces very little visible light so this was my idea:

570 lux ambient light, 6 inches away from target.

You can actually see the fluorescence of the EU flag bleed through the paper in the top right. Now that’s power!

I can feel the burn in my eyes from here!

What glasses do you have? 8)

Nice!

I like the way you added the filter :-)