Help with Purchase/Suggestion for an "Award" light for Scouts

That’s a bummer. :frowning:

Sounds like they’re Liion only then. I’ve never had an sk68 or one of the ones you got that didn’t work on both AA and 14500, but I have read of people having them fixed in one orientation or the other.

I’ve had a switch fail in an sk68 before, but that’s about the only issue I’ve had.

I would try another AA from a different pack just to make sure it’s not the battery causing the issue.

Tried three types of alk AAs and one eneloop.

unknown00101, I think you’re exactly correct I tried two AAs with some wire in one and it ran. Great…but at least I know what we’re dealing with now. Thanks for the idea.

and if you look at that Banggood page there are pictures — shows a solid pill; another picture shows an AA battery; and there’s a review by “G Chiew2014-07-17 09:09:46 that says ” able to use readily available AA alkaline and rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride batteries”

You just can’t tell what’s a real review, what’s made up as advertising, and what’s just someone getting a different built light in the lottery.

The product description says they’ll run on either.

so anyone dealt with banggood on issues? If so, how are they? I’m going to try to get them on the phone in a bit.

FWIW their online chat is usless. They forced me to email them and wouldn’t give me a number to call.

Oh boy, here we go again. This is a can orf worms. Some people hate BG, others have had no issues with them. and others have had issues sorted quickly and satisfactorily. Personally Ive found them to be more than good to deal with.

Contact Neal here. Neal works for BG and is a member of this site. Banggood member account PM link >> http://budgetlightforum.com/messages/new/6714?destination=user%2F6714

One solution is to get BG to send you the below 3w "Police" light. You then take the extension tube off it and transfer it to the lights you received. It will leave you with an AA Police light to spare for each of you lights.

I think the above light only comes in black. Maybe the kids will think the contrast is cool.

EDIT: Did you try bypassing the tail cap switch with a paperclip or wire to make sure it's not an issue with the tail caps (most common problem area in flashlights)?

Sorry for that trouble.
BG sorts out problems, I also have good experience with that after receiving a defective item, but it still takes some time. Email or ticket system is the way to go with all Chinese and usually they ask silly questions like sending a photo or something which is totally stupid in such cases just do it and they will find a solution.
Also this case is no defective but wrong item so a replacement is no option at all because I am sure the whole stock is changed to different drivers…
We will see.

They clearly list it as 1-2-4.2V. I also haven’t heard of a 4.2V version in that particular light. My exemplar works also on AAs and on 14500.
——-
Maybe you should open one light and check the driver, to get sure if it is a non boost one. Just unscrew bezel with lens, than zoom out and twist the head counter clockwise, often it unscrews than, if not just use a small screwdriver to unscrew the pill a bit and after that you can easily unscrew it with the head. A coil in the circuit is a hint for a boost driver.
My driver looks like that: http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=9d3faf-1406987298.jpg

A buck driver also has a coil, which is probably the case here.

Only linear drivers and direct drivers don’t have inductors.

Yep you are right.
Should better have said something like this: I am unsure how this driver looks like but I imagine it to have no coil which is a indicator for no boost driving capabilities…

> One solution is to get BG to send you the below 3w “Police” light. You then take the extension tube off …

Bingo! If Banggood does send you an equal number of those to make good, I’ll applaud them.
That’s a near worthless little purplish-light LED dirt cheap, its only use as a donor for that extension tube.

The result — assuming you do shell out for the Energizer Lithium AA recommended above, will be decent.

I sent the required video Saturday. However, I bit the bullet and ordered something else “(See Here)”:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10pcs-Mini-7W-300LM-CREE-Q5-LED-Flashlight-Adjustable-Focus-Zoom-Torch-Lights-/291100076543?pt=US_Flashlights&var=&hash=item896dd0db70 . I don’t want to have these Scouts thinking I’m not a man of my word, and it’s been almost two weeks since they got home.

I’m not going to hold my breath, but I’m hopeful that they’ll do something to make it right based on your experiences with them.

I’m not going to take them apart to look at drivers, etc. in case they want to pay to have them back.

I may contact Neal, as mentioned above, but I’ll give their normal system a chance to work first.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Starting several months ago, some of the AA/14500 inexpensive lights that I intended for gifting to non-Lion folks started showing up with a driver that was unable to use alkalines - only 14500s. Repeated emails to the vendors who didn’t believe me at first and who insisted that I must be using bad cells finally convinced them and they changed their ebay listings (or at least some of them did). The dealers seem to often not know what they are being sent from their suppliers, and there is a pretty strong drive to continue dropping manufacturing cost. Once they get the message, which can take a while, I have generally found them to be responsible in correcting the issue. Just watch out if they first offer a partial refund; you need to make it clear that the 14500-only lights are totally unusable for you. It’s become a cr_pshoot with the inexpensive single AA lights as to whether you will get a one-mode,three-mode, 14500-only, or whatever. On the other hand, some of the ones that you can sometimes score for 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 dollars can be a real bargain, and don’t we all like bargains… The thrill of the hunt… The newer more slender ones are much easier to pocket than the SK68. Good luck.

I got a late night (to me) email from them simply telling me that the light “did not broken, it just work with 14500 battery. Maybe you can try it.” I had already told them that I believe the sent me the wrong ones as it appears it will only run on 3+ volts. I also told them that I don’t want to run Li-ions in these as they are gifts to children. I also noted that the person (CS rep) on this email was different than the one asking for the video.

I retold them that they didn’t send me the lights I ordered, that I don’t want to give Li-ions to kids, I don’t have any 14500s, and that they need to fix their mistake. We’ll see…

If Banggood never makes it right, maybe you could sell those off here. Since you’ve already bought something else, your scouts are covered and you just need your money back on these 14500 only lights. I’d be willing to buy a couple from you to help you out.

I appreciate the offer, David. I’ll see what comes of it, but keep that in mind.

Nate

Well…no reply to my last email. So I’ve sent a PM to Niel, and still have my fingers crossed.

I just got email notice of a replacement order. The flashlights they are sending look like the same SKU/same thing to me. We will see. I am happy that they are trying to make it right. Kudos to them for that.