High current drivers for single XM-L2

Thanks for the feedback ohaya. So do you mean it was the FET which fails?

I had a DRY before and I used to turn it on on Turbo mode for about 10 minutes long continuously (I had the version without step down, but it doesn’t available anymore) without having any issue except that the host was too hot to hold, but the DRY is 3 cells + 3 LEDs, in your case you are using it as a buck driver, so I don’t know if that could be the difference though.

I should have been clearer.

The “DRY driver” I have, and which I used, is apparently the “old” DRY driver:

It looks like the current/new “DRY driver” that CNQ has has a toroid, instead of the two chips on the top board, and has a 32mm contact board, vs. a 23mm contact board in the older DRY driver (which is what I used).

I don’t have any of the “new” DRY drivers, so I don’t know how it’d work with a single XM-L.

Oh man, since when they enlarge the DRY driver into 32mm? What are they gonna use it for? I thought I already have the newer version of DRY driver ordered in October of last year!

Hi all

i just wanted to share this Driver like Ouchyfoot posted but it is 9A

and i have a question about it can this driver drive MT-G2 with 2 cells or 3 ?

The picture is the exact same as my driver, but mine says 3v to 18v. This driver also says, 5 to 9A. Which is it? Is it a surprise?

Thanks for adding the link. Its a good price.

It will work with MT-G2, using 2 or 3 cells.

Its also the same as I linked to in OP ("Ebay SST90 driver), which is basically the same as the lustefire triple I have mentioned several times. There might be small variations on these drivers, but they all seem to do pretty much the same. People seem to have measured 7A 7,6A or 9A based on what I can remember (not sure if 9A were output though).

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/22481#comment-501976

INPUT current. The input will vary with the input voltage/number of cells to get the same output. They don't mention the output, which is the part that matters.

And that is the part that is normally around 7A to 7,6A it seems. Which can easily be adjusted up or down with a resistor. :party:

16v@5A to get 4v@7A? Yikes. Better carry a fire extinguisher.

Chinese 80W input to get xxxxx amount of chinese lumens. Common knowledge. :steve:

I ordered two drivers from that seller. They were not HX1175B, but HX1175C. Notice the green color too.

(I have better close up pictures if anyone needs). Either way, it sucks. 2,95A high, 1,18A medium, and 0,29A low to three XM-Ls in parallel.

Resistor modded it do to 6,5-7A. Overheated in no time (10 sec) with 14,9V input. (Maybe that was too high voltage)

Based on my first impression, I will stay away from that seller, and try to avoid the HX 1175C in the future...

I have a HX-1175B in front of me. Which are the sense resistors?

The male ones. The female ones make no sense. Sorry Bucket. You baited me.

Lol, I've always found that the female ones are resistant to sense.

I just did some testing on my HX-1175B with an XM-L2 and 2 Samsung 20R's. It started at 7.05 amps, then fell to 6.78 and stayed there.(I think there is a little too much resistance in my skinny leads) I let it on for about a minute. Driver was coolish to the touch. If only I could get rid of the strobe and SOS, I think this would be a nice driver. It's going into my upcoming CuHD2010 build. I was also hoping to resistor mod this driver to get it to 8 amps, but the SMD resistors that I bought at Tadaya are way too small.

See the R062 (and the one below). Its where the magic happens. ;)

Thanks. What values have you stacked on top and what amps did you get?

I did a little more runtime testing, mostly to see how hot it got. It didn't get hot. The hottest temp I recorded over several minutes was 120F right on the MOSFET surface.

Cant remember.. But I made it into a 6,4A driver. Mine was in the area around 7,6A stock..

8A or close to it is too much for an XM-L2..

Sorry RaceR86 for the wrong driver you got but i orderd one from that seller and it arrived today and it is HX1175B not HX1175C maybe he sent you a wrong one Sad

i have tried it on MT-G2 with 2 cells it gave me 3.6 A with 3 cells it gave me 6.9A so what i can do to raise it to 9A ? should i try 4 cells or resistor mod it ?

I just bought two of these...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Direct-drive-high-driver-circuit-board-for-Cree-XML-XM-L2-SSCP7-SST-90-LED-/171244724523?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Direct Drive...Med...Low ...Strobe and SOS Meh for strobe and SOS, but I like the direct drive.