Home Depot Deal Alerts & Discussion Thread

Is this the one you saw?
The one Ohaya mentioned above has 3 emitters, this one only has 1. Don’t anyone get too exited, that 1 emitter is only good for 50 Lumen. (The included lantern battery is strapped to the bottom)

No the one I got is this one (looks like similar housing, but with 3 emitters):

Aack!!

and, next to an old Convoy S-something (you can probably guess which is which):

NOT recommended :(!!

While I was at HD the other day I did another one of my brazen in-store tear downs. I don’t care, let ’em try and stop me. :slight_smile:
Now this is the single emitter light, not the one Ohaya got.
Here is a shot of the emitter itself. Interesting reflector and the emitter is on a star of sorts.

Next I removed the Bezel-Head-Reflector assembly. No need to use strap wrenches as it came right off!

The “star” is held onto the connector-heatsink plate with some protruding plastic posts that were then melted.
I stood there for a moment thinking of all any possibility of a performance enhancing mod. What immediately came to mind was an XHP-70 on a copper star cemented to a suitable heat sink with a fan mounted to that, running off a 2S2P 18650 pack. There certainly is room for all that.

But then as I started to hear the background noises all around me again, I came to my senses, looked around and remembered where I was. So I quicky put it all back together and walked away. :bigsmile:

BUT……………….
Now that I am thinking about it again, wouldn’t it be a real goof to try this just for the fun of it? Imagine, a high powered sleeper light with active cooling only. No metal in the body for heat sinking. That could be a first, no? :slight_smile:

Don't forget I posted a thread modding a similar light (4xAA version) though it wasn't to be really high powered. That's one of my most used lights too. It was intended for my daughter but sits in the kitchen pantry closet next to the back door. Came in really handy one night for a midnight swim the wife & I had. Just enough light & wide enough to light up the whOle pool for us, but not enough for any neighbors to know what was going on :) .

-Garry

dchomak wrote:

. . .

BUT……………….
Now that I am thinking about it again, wouldn’t it be a real goof to try this just for the fun of it? Imagine, a high powered sleeper light with active cooling only. No metal in the body for heat sinking. That could be a first, no?

Sounds pretty good to me. One guy tried that with the Defiant XML spotlight, but never reported results. I bought one just do do the same thing . . . someday.

That reflector looks really weird to me though. It doesn't make sense. It would seems some lof the lower part of the bigger part of the reflector wouldn't get hit by light from the emitter.

Only one way to find out, tomorrow I will pick one up and hold the reflector up to an XHP-70

And like poiihy pointed out, the included battery is worth as much as the whole purchase price. That’s like the flashlight is free.

My only worry though is that after I build it, Ohaya will beat that by putting 3 in his!

A couple days ago I picked up this husky magnetic pickup tool/flashlight for just $4.99. Ring magnet on the head around the emitter and another magnet on the tail. Flexible shaft behind the head and telescoping base. Runs on three LR44 cells and does 30 lumen but it's more than enough for what it does. Sweet find especially since it's half price. Hope I'm not too late in notifying everyone :(

Actually, the light I purchased is labeled as a Defiant, not a Husky, but it is the identical light. The Defiant version doesn't appear to be listed on the HD website. ;)

Sorry - I’m not sure what’s going on with the images. I got the one working, I think? Will try to get the beamshots ones working.

Jim

On July 19th of this year I saw this display in 1 store and then never again in any store. It is a light similar to the one you posted, but not as nice. I can not find ANY info on it at the HD web site. This one has 3 emitters

I will post a separate build thread when I finish, but here are the beam shots of this light.
First the stock light running on the included lantern battery. In this form this is actually a quite useful light for the average homeowner. 50 lumens is more useful than we might think.

Now with the reflector modified to fit over an XHP-70. Pay no attention to the comparative brightness of the 2, it means nothing.

The XHP-70 hot spot is more diffuse and there is more spill, but there is NO donut hole.
ImA4, I think you were right, It seems not much of the light sees the outer portion of this reflector.

^ Thanks for the follow up dchodude. I was hoping there was some secret to that reflector we didn't know about yet. Sounds like the designer liked Glenlivet even more than you and I.

Those flexible, lighted pick-up magnets are so handy. I've had one for a year or two now. I was worried about the button cells. But the light part is turned on so infrequently and for such a short time, they will probably last a decade or so. When you need it, it's a real help. Makes finding screws, nuts, sockets, etc that are fallen into dark places like your car frame recoverable.

So when should I expect to see these for a penny?

Dated 4/14/2015 if you can't read it. Shouldn't these already be a penny? (I didn't try checking their price yet.)

-Garry

I thought items have to be at least 8 months & 1 week old to be a penny?

Today we got free concrete from Home Depot. They had some broken concrete bags in plastic bags sitting on a pallet with a paper saying “FREE”. Right when we needed concrete! :bigsmile: We took them all. :bigsmile:

They are very heavy :Sp

^ Nice score poiihy! I would have taken them too. I'm always needing concrete as my dogs have decide they love to dig and pry their way under fences.

garrybunk,

I think it is too early for a penny. I know stuff from Dec 2014 is a penny at my stores. Last time I tried March 2015 stuff, it was not a penny yet. I haven't been able to nail down a specific time period for the penny deal to kick in. It seems to vary some.

You just had to go a beat my penny deals! :stuck_out_tongue:

A few years ago I got a bunch a bags of concrete like that. They were a mix of different types etc. I used them to spead out over a crawl space in our basement. The intent was to seal off the dirt from argon gas that could weep up through the soil. A contractor friend told me that the easiest way to do that for my purpose was to spread the concrete powder out on top of the soil dry then take a garden hose and spray a fine mist over top of that. It worked and it was easy.

I paid something like 25 or 50 cents a bag though………… :frowning:

So, items with a price that end in .06 will certainly be a penny in 6 weeks, likewise with .03? Or is it not certain?

I have seen a/some item(s) ending in .03 and .06. I should bring a camera and take a picture of price tags like that, and log it, so that I can check it in 3 or 6 weeks. Maybe that would improve my chances of getting an item for a penny! :bigsmile:

I am also watching this one dated 5/27/2015:

Doesn't the "06" need 6 months to drop to an "03" price?

-Garry

I thought the one with 06 needs 6 weeks to turn into a penny, not 6 months to turn into a 03? O_o

And I thought items needed to be at least 8 months and 1 week old to be a penny? O_o

I was looking for items dated December 2014 or older.

Quote from http://www.pennypup.com/home-depot/

Also i’ve just noticed that they have a page for Walmart.

So Walmart may have some penny items as well!!