Hooked on Anduril! What 18650 and 14500 lights use Anduril?

Since Anduril has settings for temp calibration and raising the temp ceiling, IDK what advantage a light without temp regulation has. Since you can effectively disable it on Anduril lights… (starts at 9:15)

Seriously though, running hotrods without any stepdown will prematurely wear and potentially damage components over time. I’ve seen wires and even emitters desoldered before.

On Anduril lights you can basically set a UI like that and have a shortcut to all three modes. There will still be the other features present on the UI of course. Wish their was a “simple mode” that disabled all the blinkies and config options, either in addition or instead of “muggle mode”.

I realize that can happen but I do not worry about it. In 8 years of the same type of use it has not happened to any of my high powered/modified lights

I think it proves that by using ones own hand and judgement to determine when to step down, lights can last just as long[maybe longer] as the ones whose step downs are feeble and premature!

I enjoy them the way I choose to enjoy them. No risk in my book. I realize that others have their way of using their lights. That is their choice.

Wellp, if you put one of those squishy thermally-conductive blocks on the µC so that it conducts heat from (ie, senses) the shelf that the LED sits on, that’s a good step.

I wouldn’t worry about overheating in my hand, as if it gets too hot to hold, I either step it down myself or just shut it off completely and let it cool.

It could be incredibly useful if you leave the light unattended, eg, tailstanding. Then, it could be just about ready to blow and you’d never know it ’til it did. That’s where thermal step-down would come in handy.

Anduril is popular because the D4 and Fw3A are popular, and they have features your run of the mill clickies dont:

Ramping,
secondary RGB LED options
Plus:
random Flicker mode

The only AA lights with a Ramping UI, that I can think of atm, are the nitecore D10 and D11.2, and the sunwayman V10a and V11r

Last time I thought to look, I couldn’t figure out a decent way to get Anduril on a 14500 light. MtnE just doesn’t offer it at all, and at the time (I haven’t checked since) Lexel didn’t offer any drivers on the small end of things. Are there any good options for those who can’t mod/make drivers for whatever reason?

I do not know of any off the shelf 14500 light with Anduril

there is a thread about Sofirn exploring the possibility of making an AA/14500 Anduril light

One year and 552 posts later, it has not happened, yet

for those who have not seen it, here is a custom driver with Anduril running on 14500, no AA

D10 w Anduril

Mmmyeah, don’t really see the point of blinkies/flickeries other’n as a novelty, but that’s just me.

The GTmicro has Narsim, which is ramping, and assuming it has most of the yummy bits as Andruil (ramping, floor/moon/ceil/turbo, momentary, voltage blinkout, soft-lock, etc.).

That’s why to me it seems that blinkies/flickeries are the only add-ons to A vs N.

Even with a diffuser, I couldn’t see using my ’micro as a candle, etc. It’s just… weird.

A lantern or something in 2700K or even down to 2200K, yeah, that’d be pretty awesome, but don’t see the utility of that in a daily-driver.

Dunno, it’s kinda like having bike-flash in an AAA light. Cute, but would you really use an AAA light as a bike-light?

@Lightbringer

Clearly, this just isn’t a thread for you. Stick with what you prefer. Different strokes for different folks is the key element here.

People other than yourself very much enjoy the candle mode. You don’t. No big deal about that.

You consider this a daily driver, period. Others use the light around the house, also as an EDC, or however they see fit. Again, no big deal about that. Free your mind over that.

Let me give you a life happiness tip: Choose what you like and don’t stress your brain over how other people don’t see things your way. Free yourself from that burden you carry, and you can enjoy other things, instead of stressing over what you can’t understand.

Jon… that D10 conversion to Anduril - WOW, how cool is that! Love the idea of it.

I hope you find a way to implement Anduril in a 14500 light that is to your liking.

I am not a high lumen user, so for me the D10 in stock form with an AA Eneloop is excellent, and has the ramping that Anduril has. I have no desire for the flicker modes, so Anduril is not something I would trade for Eneloop compatibility.

However, there is an unserved need for AA lights with Ramping UIs, since the D10, Sunwayman V10r and V11r are unavailable.

[quote=jon_slider]

Indeed. I’d like to have an eneloop driven light with anduril or something similar, Ideally warm-white.

Plus sensor calibration and ramp down with 2H.

Another unique feature: No other firmware is so easily messed up by a few innocent clicks.

I wasn’t trashing Andruil, just asking why people seem to be so gaga over it, vs Narsim and the like (which seems to do like 95%+ of what And’l does).

The only answers I got were along the lines of “It’s got candle mode”.

Mmm, okay, that’s kewl if you’re into it, but… that’s it? What else differentiates it, and what’m I missing?

Same with discussions about the SP10. Mention it might come with And’l, and everyone starts getting moist. Okay, great, but why?

Like the “cronut”(?) craze? People would wait on line for hours to get one. Was it that good? People could be genuinely curious about it, wondering what’s the buzz all about, and not getting substantive answers. It’s NOT the same as trashing ’em, saying “Feh, they ain’t so great”. It’s being curious what’s driving people to crave ’em so badly.

But hey, people want ’em, so…

Okay, that (which someone mentioned in passing before) could be useful. I’ve had to go up’n’down on my ’micro when not (as usual) starting on moonlight or floor. (I did tweak moonlight to be 1 vs 7, so they’re quite distinct now.)

Y’mean And’l is easily messed-up, or is relatively immune to it?

That could be a pretty bad “feature”. :laughing:

That 4 clicks to ramp config… :rage:

The former. From what I’ve read, most people who sufferend from muggle-bug weren’t aware they switched to muggle-mode.

I agree completely on the blinkies and novelty modes being unnecessary for most people uses but I MUCH prefer the click-and-hold + double-click-and-hold options for ramping up/down vs guessing the direction, and also having the stepped ramping with configurable ceiling/floor and # of modes. I run just about every Anduril light I have or had in stepped mode and much prefer it. It’s feels like a far superior version of the Armytek UI to me.

Anduril is a lot of fun. It ticks many of my desired feature boxes while also allowing for playtime modes.

• Shortcut to moonlight
  • Shortcut to turbo
  • The ramping is so well done that it's a very effective way to change brightness
    • This is NOT the case, IMO, for most ramping interfaces. Even my EX11.2 is too slow to ramp.

There's a lot of configuration to be done when you first get the light, but for me, I leave it alone once I set it (which has its ups and downs, I can never remember how to do it since I almost never do it).

I'd love a more usable way to do blinkies. My LT1 stays on candle mode most of the time, but if I want to move to lightning (or back from lightning to candle, forget which) I'm going to get some sort of strobe mode, and it's going to hurt. But so far it's the best I've used that gives so many features. Of course improvement is possible - TK would definitely agree with that, I think - but also "improvement" at some point starts to transform into "customization to individual preferences". And unless I'm going to write my own firmware, I'm not going to expect that.

Mmm, I can see the advantage to 2H to ramp down, but I almost always start at the bottom and ramp up if needed, then just click on/off as needed. Even lights with memory, I always set ‘em down to minimum so I don’t get blinded at night. So it’s not as important to me as it would be to someone else, but I can definitely (or “defiantly”, as peoples’ spell-checkers seem to insist) see the advantage, and could even get to use/like it, too.

And I have a bunch of lights that have ramping which I keep on stepped-mode, too. Usually those with painfully-slow ramping, and/or equally-distressing nonlinear ramping (zip through the lower end and linger forever at the upper end).

My Q8s and ’mini/’micro ramp quite nicely, and even my DC7 (Airpro’s own UI), so those I let ’em ramp.

Whoa. Yeah, that’d drive me buggy. I like 2click for turbo, 3click for battcheck, 4click for lockout, and 5click for momentary.

I can just imagine trying to lock it out and going into config mode. :open_mouth:

Addendum, I don’t like having to memorise a flowchart just to be able to use a light, and 99% of the time don’t even bother to read the inserts that go-with [my electron-microscope is in the shop anyway], so for me to be able to memorise the above and use them readily is a huge plus in my book.