Hooked on Anduril! What 18650 and 14500 lights use Anduril?

If you have a flash kit I can build a version of Anduril without step down. If you promise not to sue when you burn the house down :smiley:

I do not have a flash kit. Thanks for the offer anyway. :wink:

If it [Firmware] does not meet my needs in terms of how the temp. setting works, I will send to Skylumen.

If it doesn’t have a temp sensor, how would it ever step down? :slight_smile:
I think with proper misconfig of anduril you could push the thermal limit to 80+c?
Mine starts to feel ‘is this getting too hot’ around 45C but its a D4v2…

Of course it has a temperature sensor. Otherwise it wouldn’t be able to measure the temperature. :wink: But it is just the sensor integrated in the microcontroller on the driver board. Thus it has some lag. Recent builds of Anduril have better noise filtering and regulation.

If you like 90 °C flashlights, fine. I can’t hold that in my hands and also don’t want my batteries to be exposed to that temperature.

Here is what he said.

Anduril tries to predict what the temp will get to and may reduce power early because of the delay. It’s all very complicated. You won’t be able to say an exact temp you want it to stepdown at. It’s not that accurate.

The sensor does not know the actual temperature. It just senses small changes of electrical resistance based on temperature. So you have to tell it “the resistance your measuring right now is X°C”. From there it can count degrees up and down.

If you tell it the real room temperature of 20°C (for example), and you set the limit to 70°, it knows to stepdown after a 50° increase.

If you tell it it’s 10°C right now (when the room temp is actually 20°C) then it knows to stepdown after a 60° increase.

If you tell it it’s 1°C right now (when the room temp is actually 20°C) then it knows to stepdown after a 69° increase.

Having the temp sensor built into the driver MCU is very crude. Don’t expect accuracy.

I can handle 70/75C :smiley:

Another thing to consider. It is about our preference and Tolerance. I have a high tolerance to heat and so does my Girlfriend[a Nurse] and my buddy who is a cook. I handed them one of my lights when it was near my limit and it was nothing to them! lol!

Anduril has to predict the temperature so that it can start ramping down early enough to not overshoot the target temperature. Waiting until the target temperature is reached (e.g. 70 °C) would cause an overshoot of 15 °C and more if you don’t turn it offiimmediately (and you would get 85-90 °C). The goal of the regulation in Anduril is to not overshoot the target temperature, but still keeping the highest possible output under this constraint.

Every thermometer measures relative values. You have to provide a reference to get absolute values. Often this is done in the factory, but sadly not so good for Anduril flashlights due to high costs of this calibration step.

Anduril is much superior to Narsil because you always know what direction you will be ramping based on single or double-click and hold, customizable floor ceiling, stepped ramp with setting for number of modes, manual memory and probably a few other features I’m forgetting. I hated ramping the reverse direction I wanted on Narsil lights, would usually just quick turn it off and then ramp up from the bottom instead, couldn’t go back to that now after using Anduril. I’d actually prefer to not have the blinkies or novelty modes but I don’t think I’ve ever accidentally activated them.

Since Anduril has settings for temp calibration and raising the temp ceiling, IDK what advantage a light without temp regulation has. Since you can effectively disable it on Anduril lights… (starts at 9:15)

^

And I think the FET drivers[custom] I get are superior to both of those with a choice of 16 mode groups and NO STEP DOWN :+1:

Very simple for me. My favorite mode group is 1–30 and 100.Of course, the 100 setting is used the most. :beer:

Glad there are so many options because our preferences are not alike.

Since Anduril has settings for temp calibration and raising the temp ceiling, IDK what advantage a light without temp regulation has. Since you can effectively disable it on Anduril lights… (starts at 9:15)

Seriously though, running hotrods without any stepdown will prematurely wear and potentially damage components over time. I’ve seen wires and even emitters desoldered before.

On Anduril lights you can basically set a UI like that and have a shortcut to all three modes. There will still be the other features present on the UI of course. Wish their was a “simple mode” that disabled all the blinkies and config options, either in addition or instead of “muggle mode”.

I realize that can happen but I do not worry about it. In 8 years of the same type of use it has not happened to any of my high powered/modified lights

I think it proves that by using ones own hand and judgement to determine when to step down, lights can last just as long[maybe longer] as the ones whose step downs are feeble and premature!

I enjoy them the way I choose to enjoy them. No risk in my book. I realize that others have their way of using their lights. That is their choice.

Wellp, if you put one of those squishy thermally-conductive blocks on the µC so that it conducts heat from (ie, senses) the shelf that the LED sits on, that’s a good step.

I wouldn’t worry about overheating in my hand, as if it gets too hot to hold, I either step it down myself or just shut it off completely and let it cool.

It could be incredibly useful if you leave the light unattended, eg, tailstanding. Then, it could be just about ready to blow and you’d never know it ’til it did. That’s where thermal step-down would come in handy.

Anduril is popular because the D4 and Fw3A are popular, and they have features your run of the mill clickies dont:

Ramping,
secondary RGB LED options
Plus:
random Flicker mode

The only AA lights with a Ramping UI, that I can think of atm, are the nitecore D10 and D11.2, and the sunwayman V10a and V11r

Last time I thought to look, I couldn’t figure out a decent way to get Anduril on a 14500 light. MtnE just doesn’t offer it at all, and at the time (I haven’t checked since) Lexel didn’t offer any drivers on the small end of things. Are there any good options for those who can’t mod/make drivers for whatever reason?

I do not know of any off the shelf 14500 light with Anduril

there is a thread about Sofirn exploring the possibility of making an AA/14500 Anduril light

One year and 552 posts later, it has not happened, yet

for those who have not seen it, here is a custom driver with Anduril running on 14500, no AA

D10 w Anduril

Mmmyeah, don’t really see the point of blinkies/flickeries other’n as a novelty, but that’s just me.

The GTmicro has Narsim, which is ramping, and assuming it has most of the yummy bits as Andruil (ramping, floor/moon/ceil/turbo, momentary, voltage blinkout, soft-lock, etc.).

That’s why to me it seems that blinkies/flickeries are the only add-ons to A vs N.

Even with a diffuser, I couldn’t see using my ’micro as a candle, etc. It’s just… weird.

A lantern or something in 2700K or even down to 2200K, yeah, that’d be pretty awesome, but don’t see the utility of that in a daily-driver.

Dunno, it’s kinda like having bike-flash in an AAA light. Cute, but would you really use an AAA light as a bike-light?

@Lightbringer

Clearly, this just isn’t a thread for you. Stick with what you prefer. Different strokes for different folks is the key element here.

People other than yourself very much enjoy the candle mode. You don’t. No big deal about that.

You consider this a daily driver, period. Others use the light around the house, also as an EDC, or however they see fit. Again, no big deal about that. Free your mind over that.

Let me give you a life happiness tip: Choose what you like and don’t stress your brain over how other people don’t see things your way. Free yourself from that burden you carry, and you can enjoy other things, instead of stressing over what you can’t understand.

Jon… that D10 conversion to Anduril - WOW, how cool is that! Love the idea of it.

I hope you find a way to implement Anduril in a 14500 light that is to your liking.

I am not a high lumen user, so for me the D10 in stock form with an AA Eneloop is excellent, and has the ramping that Anduril has. I have no desire for the flicker modes, so Anduril is not something I would trade for Eneloop compatibility.

However, there is an unserved need for AA lights with Ramping UIs, since the D10, Sunwayman V10r and V11r are unavailable.

[quote=jon_slider]

Indeed. I’d like to have an eneloop driven light with anduril or something similar, Ideally warm-white.