How do you organize your keys, keychains, keyrings?

Not to brag but I put this together for a friend.

He excerpted the main part. It’s a quick read. I hope it helps.

That looks awesome!!! Imagine making that in an old Leatherman handle…

That’s probably the coolest key holder I’ve seen!

Thanks!

I had one that I got at REI, it was by the random selection of carabiners by the check out area.

All the tech ed teachers at my school use a seat belt clip to hold their keys. Though I have no idea how they know which key is for what room/locker/drawer. They seriously have dozens on each carabineer!

Slowly making some progress.

Went from 3 separate keychains to this:

Then got rid of a little more, it currently looks like this:

I got the master chain link idea from EDC forum, its quite handy (and cheap).

I have some other small things coming in the mail to put on there (TEC glow in the dark fob and DQG AAA) and will be taking off the immobilizer and the current light.

I’ll post pics another time when its changed again, I have a handful of other ideas as well.

This has turned into a small hobby already.

I’m not finished yet, just testing some things on there for size.

I thought I bought 4 lobster claws but I only got 3, so I don’t have 2 of my other keys I need on there.

With my Sanrenmu GR5-605

With my DQG AA (NW XP-G2)

Both feel like they add too much weight but I have a titanium DQG AAA on its way, that should be a lot smaller and lighter. Still need to rig up something for my other 2 keys.

Save some weight if the chain link works without the claw …

Remember to be careful with the pictures, keys can be replicated from pictures. All the potential burglar would need is the address the keys go for. And shipment ID’s, buying something from the forums, or googling might give them that.

Wouldn’t hurt to blur the teeth.
Though bump keys would likely be easier then cutting a key & finding your address. Most locks are not very secure.

The NiteIze S-Biners are nifty, but be careful. Stuff likes to fall off of them. I ended up taking them off my keychain and now they live in a couple different backpacks.

I agree, Racer. I removed my S-biner for that reason, seems like it just added weight anyway.

I don’t like having lots of things on my keys so I just have a small light, tritium vial, reflective lanyard (clip is in picture). The Utilikey may go as well as I don’t seem to use it.

Since I wear gloves I don’t like things too small as I can’t handle them in the cold. The keycaps really help aid grip.

I may see about getting new keys cut. I wonder how much lighter it can be with aluminium keys and titanium split rings.

Aluminum keys are quite a bit lighter. Almost surprising when comparing them side by side.
I love them. ^ _ ^
Certainly worth it imo.

Thanks for the concern with pictures of keys (I had already read the same thing at other places) but its unlikely enough that I feel safe not to blur them out.

I use a PO box as we don’t get deliveries/mail here, but even if I gave them my address… someone would need a key card to get in the gates and past security, then avoid/disable the surveillance cameras.

Its possible but very unlikely unless James Bond is on a mission to steal my flashlights.

Thanks! I saw they come various colours, black too! It could be quite interesting combined with black hardware.

Is it normal practice to take blanks to a keycutter or would they consider it rude?

Here it used to be about $4 per key cut, I couldn’t imagine the keys cost them much and they probably get them for $0.25 each or less in bulk so they might just charge the normal key cutting price if you have your own blanks or not.

I’m on the edge about getting aluminium keys cut too, my brother used to work at the hardware store and cutting keys was part of the job. I mentioned about getting aluminium keys cut and he told me that steel keys will bend with age/use/stress but aluminium keys will just snap off in the lock under the same conditions.

I also saw titanium key blanks for about $10 each on eBay, I know they would have higher strength and light weight but I’m not sure if that means they would be more brittle under stress? I wonder if they would be harder to cut as well, I’m not interested in buying them though.

I’m not British so I can’t say for certain what would be considered rude over there. :face_with_monocle:
But if they don’t carry aluminum blanks or the color you want then what can you do? Call every keycutter systematically till you find one with aluminum blanks… :weary:
Doesn’t seem rude. Plus I would expect them to charge something to cut the keys. Call ’em?

Too bad they don’t have keys like this in aluminum.

My keys are also marked “do not duplicate”, so they may turn me down anyway…

I did not know you can get kitty keys! :bigsmile:

Thanks! Hmm, so in time they could just snap?

I don’t know what the parts inside locks are made from but if they’re softer than titanium the titanium could wear on the parts. It’s similar to why some manufacturers fit hardened steel to a titanium lock bar on a frame lock knife.

Link to ti keys on ebay, Ezarc? Can’t find them.

Silca Ultralight keys claim to be a titanium alloy. There is also a brand of aluminum keys that go by the name “Titanium”. :expressionless: I don’t think you could get true titanium cut easily.

Personally I prefer just a single large aircraft cable loop like a Lucky Line or a MantaRing. They hold keys and accessories of all sorts of sizes and shapes and tend to lay pretty clean and flat in a pocket, which I like.

They end up looking something like this:

And they’re fairly easy to open/close for removing or adding keys and tools. Everything else I’ve tried including clips, s-biners, and other key ‘management devices’ have always added too much bulk.

You can always add one of these pickpockets to help avoid that jumble-of-keys at the bottom of the pocket effect, too.

Now, cutting the keys down and mounting them like an old multi-tool, THAT’s pretty cool!

IClight, have you ever had problems with those cable loops coming undone on their own? I have one that came with a tritium vial , it seems strong and I like that it’s flexible too.