How "Shorty" STL-V6?

bottom line, the fandyfire stl-v6 (like mine) is the same in all but name to the skyray stl-v2.

Yours is not what I would call a “true” stl-v6, the same way if I started calling you steve instead of Jim, that wouldn’t actually make your name steve.

You are correct, if yours does not have the separate knurled ring a c8 tube will not screw into your head.

As I said above, you dont actually have an stl-v6, just a light with stl-v6 written on it.

This is starting to get off-topic for this thread, but…

Re. your last sentence, “Tell me about it!” :slight_smile: [That may be an American sort of expression…]

FYI, I’m now curious about a “real” STL-V6, so I’ve posted a ticket at FastTech, asking some questions about the one that they have…

it certainly looks like mine, and to be fair, fasttech is not wallbuys.

sorry to have sounded arsy, that light you recieved is not what you ordered and paid for is all, which is what I’ve been trying to tell you all along, the proper stl-v6 is, barring the forward clicky a very nice light, if I was you though, I’d now spring a few extra dollars and get a convoy l2 u2

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002364/1213106-convoy-l2-cree-xm-l-u2-1b-2-group-35-mode-led-flas

trust me its an even better light than the stl-v6.

Gords,

Thanks. I was kind of worried that I was getting “sideways” with you (and maybe others), which was never my intention.

Anyway, back on-topic, I think that I “discovered” a way to make a “shorty” with “my” STL-V6!

I had bought a couple of these lights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390535954299?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

awhile ago, with the intention of using the bodies to make a shorty DST (garrybunk’s DST thread), and I was messing around, and it looks like the body from that light “kind of” works with the head from “my” STL-V6!

What I mean by “kind of” is that it seems a little “flaky”, i.e., doesn’t seem to work all the time. I think that although it does thread ok, the threads may be “loose”. I’m still not sure yet, so I’m going to get a couple of other 26650 cheapie lights from Ebay to try them.

Jim

ah, dont worry, I was getting stroppy myself tbh.

The biggest problem is no one lists thread sizes, kind of hard to guess what’ll work.

If I may make a suggestion, how about sending the head and 18650 tube of choice tho chicago x and getting him to machine an adaptor ring to suit.

You know, when I first was working with the DST, awhile ago, that’s what I thought of (getting some custom work to do this), and I think I even posted a thread asking if anyone would do something like that, but no one ever responded, as far as I’m aware.

Thanks for the suggestion though…

Hi,

So here’re some pics of the shorty using the tube from the posts a couple above this one:

Compared to a “Sharpy”, to see scale/size:

Uses a 26650 (or 18650 with a convertor):

This has an XP-G2 on star from Illumination Supply, glued to the original star, after I ground it off):

And tailstands :):

I’ve found some 26650 lights with black bodies, which would match the STL-V6 head better, so will try those when they get in.

Later,
Jim

Being able to run a 26650 is a nice compromise from two cells. Looks good to go now.

Looks. Similiar to the trustfire A8, have you checked that?

Hi,

Originally, on the garrybunk’s DST thread, I was looking for a body to make a shorty DST, and the A8 was suggested.

So, I bought a very nice A8 from Ebay, and tried the body with the DST, and it worked, but then someone mentioned that there was an A8 clone, whose body would also work with the DST, so I bought 2 of those, one for the DST, and one spare. I did that because I liked the Trustfire A8 I got, esp. the anodization, which reminded me a lot of the ZL SC52.

So, I still had one spare A8 clone left when I was trying to make a short STL-V6. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I originally thought that I’d be able to make my STL-V6 a shorty using a C8 body, but the FandyFire STL-V6 I got from Wallbuys doesn’t have a separate ring between the head and the battery tube, so tried the body from my spare A8 clone, and found it worked, which is where I am at now.

I’ve since found some cheap 26650 lights with black bodies on Ebay, and am waiting for them to see if they’ll work with both the DST and the STL-V6.

Sorry for the longish answer :)…

Jim

One of the lights whose body I wanted to try with the STL-V6 came in today, and it looks like it fits (and looks) fine:

A nice bonus is that it has a clip :)…

The body was from this light:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261202122735?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jim

I got the merit line 10$ light today and it fits the STL v6 too. It’s a nice 2x26650 tube.

Can you provide a link (plus your image isn’t working)? I’d be interested in a 2x26650 tube for my short DSTs.

Thanks,
Jim

Does that tube come apart (i.e., for 1 26650)? Also, a link?

I have an MT-G2 light that uses a similar body, which doesn’t come apart, but the battery tube is too small for 26650s.

Thanks for fixing my image, freakin imageshack made some changes…

This doesn’t come apart, that’s why I wrote 2x26650 tube. But I thaught this info could be useful for someone, sometime.
I ordered this in June, flash pilot linked it in the BLF deal thread, from time to time it gets discounted.

Hey Werner,

Does that dual 26650 tube work out well for the STL-V6? what I mean can the single LED handle it without burning out?

I ruined a Trustfire 3T6 by running 4 18650’s which I know was a dumb move by me but I couldn’t ever forgive myself if I did this to an STL-V6.

Any place to get that tube right now?, I can fine it anywhere? Thankyou for going through the trouble of posting the picture and for the info…that would be amazing to run this light with two 26650 batteries.

The voltage on a 26650 should be the same as 18650, just with much more capacity (amps). If you could get it to screw in properly to the STL-V6 (I don’t think you can), 2x26650s would be the same as 2x18650s, just with loads more capacity.

Thanks Joe I had no idea it worked like that. Thankyou.

Of course you can use the bigger tube, the battery tube fits perfect and makes good contact. I have used it several times, I have measured lux on it just before ten minutes….A two 26650 light is a nice size.
I just have seen it on meritline and this was my only order from them. You could make another thread and ask if there are extension tubes for the trustfire A8 or similiar lights availabe( f13, f15…), maybe someone has a advice…

In stock form it didn’t made contact properly(with the stock tube too) but since I modded it to mtg2 and a different driver it works well with two protected soshines. I didn’t even had to make a spring like on the standard tube.

Here is the picture I tried to add last time to show the copper wire spring I added on the stock tube: