How the post office broke my package

All government programs are wasteful. Including the military…
But:

• Mandatory expenditures, such as Social Security, Medicare, and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, account for about 65% of the budget.

And we are way over spending the amount taken in by. tax revenues. Total budget (the last time they actually passed one) was over 6 trillion. Discretionary spending only 1.7 trillion. Of that less than half (780 billion) is Military spending. We could drop that to zero and still not have a balanced budget. We have a deficit of about 1.85 trillion…

I am all for reducing spending and cleaning up all government programs (it will never happen). But the military (while super screwed up) is not the biggest problem that we have. Besides, they server a valuable function… I don’t really want to have to learn Chinese or Russian at this point in my life.

1 Thank

I heard the problem for USPS is the stipulation that they must prepay the pension for every employee for a total of about 75 years

this was done to hamstring the USPS, much like the neoliberals have been doing in my own country to alleviate them of the most profitable routes. Tons of corruption when private entities get their fingers into infrastructure

1 Thank

Yes the pension plan is what is really impacting their budget. Maybe working at the USPS sucks, but the pension plan is pretty generous. Plus they have a large number of people covered. But I understand that they have to pre-pay it for 10 years in advance.
Still, just like the federal budget, retirement funding, ends up being a huge amount of money.

The prepayment of future retirement health benefits issue was finally repealed with the Postal Service Reform Act of 2022, H.R. 3076. It was a burden on their finances even though nothing was contributed to the fund the last several years.

The PO retirement is good, though not nearly as good as the Civil Service retiree benefits.
Almost all of the C.S. people have long retired by now.

Conclusion:

USPS sent me a letter requesting I bring in all packaging and contents… I did so and then sent the seller the receipt showing the USPS now has posession of the item.

I received a full refund from the seller.

5 Thanks

Excellent news!
Although it’s not fun to go through something like that, at least the story has a happy ending. :grin:

2 Thanks