HowTo: Modify Carclo Optics for XP-L Use
Using a $0.25 T25 Torx Bit - Vinhnguyen54's Idea
Convoy S2+ Shorty (18350) With 3x Domed XP-Ls & Modified Carclo
As many of you know, the Carclo 3UP & 4UP optics don't fit over the XP-L die since they were designed for the Nichia/XP-G2/XP-E2 class emitters. Our solution has been to either dedome the emitters, or try clumsily to use a drill bit or a sharp knife to open them up.
Last week I was over at Vinh's house (Vinhnguyen54) and as I was walking out the door, he asked me "are you still dedoming your XP-Ls?" I answered, "yeah, I am--I've tried opening up the optics and haven't found anything that I was that happy with", "check this out!" he said. He then proceeded to show me a very simple, cheap, and repeatable way to open up the base of the optics using a filed down T25 Torx bit. This was his idea, but I'd like to share it with all of you.
It is an imperfect method--but it is cheap, easy, and gives good enough results for me to recommend using it until something better comes along.
All lit up. Not too shabby!
2. Items Necessary
Here is a list of what you'll need:
- T25 (or similar) Torx bit
- A file to taper the bit
- Slow electric screwdriver, or a manual screwdriver (fast is not good)
- Carclo Optic
- A bit of patience!
Just some rough file work will do.
Old, rough, and rusty, but it does the job!
- You want to use a slow speed when opening up the optic (I wouldn't recommend using a regular drill).
- Stop frequently to clear the debris so they don't scratch the inside of the lens.
- Stop frequently and check with an XP-L to see if you have gone deep enough.
- The less material you remove, the less the beam is affected; however, if the fit is too snug you risk dedoming/ruining an LED.
That's about as deep as you want to go!