Illumn Brand Flashlight Suggestions (AA size)

Posting a thread on this so as to facilitate everybody. Thanks for musicmagic for putting up the excel. It helped me lots. I added other options.

you have square threads twice :wink:

Only Calvin will get this joke; "It has to be worth at least 2 Convoy's"

OPTIONS!

-A couple different emitters (I vote for XP-L 4000k)

-maybe a few different tail switch options: flat for twisty UI, reverse clicky that can tail stand (my preferred), and a forward clicky with exposed switch. If not multi tails, then electric side switch that can access ML (click) , L or M (double click), T/H(long press) or L (click), T/H(double click) , strobe(long press) depending on programmed UI.

-support for Alkaline, Nimh, and 14500

-single AA with option to add a 2 AA extender

-A clip. It should be able to clip just below the head for bezel up carry and just above the tail switch for bezel down carry.

–2/3 different bezels with the reflector connected (spark). A Mule bezel, and a general purpose reflector. Maybe even one that’s extra wide and extra deep for better throw.

-I love your idea of programmable UI, either Ml-L-M-H-T(14500 only) or L-M-H-T(14500 only)-S. Ml-0.5, L-5, M-40, H-120, T-250(drop down after 3-5 minutes).

-Elzetta style build your own with these options. Medium price range for selecting one of each option. The ability to by extra bezels, tails, and extention tube. A slight premium for a blow molded case with all bezels, tails, and an extension tube.

How about a little 4 x AA floody. Something like a Nitecore EA4 meets Olight SR Mini.

• 35mm wide 3 LED TIR array
  • between 4000K and 5000K color
  • 2000lm, 1000lm, 300lm 100lm and 3lm
  • lantern style diffuser.

It would be a great little camping light.

I doubt you’d be able to get 2000 lumens from 4xAA. However, if you could, and wanted the modes to look evenly spaced on a visually linear (cube root) scale, the modes would be 3 lm, 76, 346, 944, and 2000 lm.

Hmmm, floody, and for camping, that gives me an idea.., why not go all the way and design the first ever proper compact, elegant, and good tinted camping lantern?

I like the idea of this lantern head better than a dedicated lantern. Especially if you could just swap out a bezel. Solarforce T4 Full Kit Review | Candle Power Flashlight Forum

I’d look at the two best (IMO) single AA lights are out there and improve what you can. Those are the SC52 and the D25A.

There are obviously fundamental differences between the two (side vs tail switch) but I like both just as much. The D25A is a slim and stealthy EDC, and while the SC52 packs more of a punch, you notice that one in your pocket.

So to get to the point…

I’d outfit it with the 219B for starters, but it should be modder friendly, so I’m not going to ask for a list of emitters.
More compact than SC52 (smaller dia head) but keeping it large enough to be ergonomically sound with a side switch (20mm maybe?)
4-5 well spaced modes, with moonlight, general, and turbo accessible from OFF
TIR options, SPOT and FLOOD
Integrated emitter shelf! And the bezel should unscrew at or very near the base of the optic. No deep and narrow cavities to deal with!
Deep carry, low profile clip… The clip can make or break an EDC, which is what a single AA is born for.
14500 support

Cheaper than the said competition. :wink: