IR hunting (c8 ? ) flashlight emitter suggestions( help needed)

any worries about the low Vf?

Sure ofc, feedback is always wellcomed, i already ordered 3 pcs of that 850nm Osram, another 3 pcs of the 940nm Osram emitter, C8 hosts i have plenty, ordered 2 zoomies for hosts too, and will test on my 850 and 940 nm monocles
So the beta results would be in the Convoy C8 host, maybe early the next year, cause i have pleny of family things to do as all of us i presume( especialy by that time of the year)

About the low Uf….well, i have here 1 amp 17mm driver, that delivers 3.1v on XTE emitter, i will test it, Osram IR emitter max safe voltage is 3.5( info from the PDFs)

If someone in the EU is interested, got the emitters from Here, Led.de
Its faster, and the price isnt that rofl one….mouser asked nearly double price
And they use DHL premium for just 8 euros

Anyway, thanks again for the help and tips……

P.S

grantman321

Saw yesterday at least 40 kilos( nearly 90 pound) male jackal in the nearby woods, i think its an alfa male, havent seen that huge one ever, its nearly as big as a wolf…cant wait to get him

Pics will be posted( eventualy, i hope :slight_smile: ) too( is it legal to post here pictures with dead animals?)

!! Whoa! Obviously, being in NC we don’t have jackals here… but jackals and coyotes are basically the same (and we have coyotes in literally every county in NC… and weird wolf/coyote hybrids, but that’s another story for another time). And that 90 pounds is pretty daggum huge for a coyote. Like you said — nearly as big as a wolf.

A box of crying kittens get’s them every time! Dispatched 5 Yote’s in 1 night on the farm. 1 being a Black and Sable Male, he’s hanging on the wall!

oslon 4715s/4725s cannot be mounted on direct thermal path mcpcb’s such as sinkpads or noctigons due to the anode and thermal slug being electrically connected. you will fry the emitter if attempted. ask me how i know.

kevin, i’m thinking about doing an IR T20 for shooting hogs. After looking at the thread here , i got a little confused. at post #22, djozz says he is using a 4715s and it is a parallel emitter then later marsh said the S was for the series emitter. So, the 4715S’s that RMM sells, am I correct to assume that they are series? How much current can they handle? On the thread I linked to, They are running in the upper 2’s.

Why not put the battery in backwards so the flashlight is LED+ not ground? Would the driver work this way (with mods)?

I have no idea actually what the S means, but it is for a single cell. The can handle up to 3A on a Noctigon, but somewhere around 2.2A-2.5A is probably a better bet for longevity. I have no way of knowing how much the output wavelength shifts when these are overdriven like that.

You can electrically insulate the Noctigon with a very thin layer of Arctic Alumina. It isn't optimal thermally, but the surface area is big enough that it will still yield an improvement when overdriven at 2A vs. the Aluminum MCPCB at 1A.

Yes, just isolate the driver so that its ground ring does not connect with the host body. Might want to pot the driver so that it can shed heat through the potting compound to the host.

Host positive is the way I would go.

I have built and tested well over 200 T20’s with oslon 4715s and 4725s emitters and i am sorry but i completely disagree with the oslon’s ability to handle anymore than about 1.5A continuous. It can handle up to 5A pulsed but you must follow osrams guidelines for the on/off cycle(see osram datasheet). Mounting an oslon on a sinkpad or noctigon then isolating it with a layer of AA is about the worst possible thermal performance (read some of pilotptk old posts). The start up “lux” will be good, but as the noctigon heat soaks and the heat has no where to go because of the very bad thermal performance of the AA, output will drop like a rock until the emitter fails. Up to 1A the oslon would be “OK” with an AA barrier. My testing has shown that overdriving even in the 1.5A range with a thick enough layer of AA to isolate the pcb builds enough heat to kill the output and eventually kill the emitter. 2A will instantly poof an oslon assembled incorrectly.The best pcb’s currently are the berquist stars. And the best way to mount them would be with screws and maybe a very thin layer of AS5.

going with host postive is another solution, but then you have to isolate the driver, another PIA. just put the oslon on a berquist star, screw it down to the heatsink/pill and drive it 1.5A or less and it will live a long and useful life.

I know i will get jumped on because there are folks here that think AA works well, but the truth is, it does not.

Bergquist does not make DTP mcpcbs, correct?

Why do you feel isolating the driver for host positive is a PIA? Use a smaller diameter driver + a contact plate or create custom driver. There are a couple threads on easy potting.

correct.they do not. however, they are very good, and if assembled as i described, outperform sinkpads and noctigons bedded in AA.

easy test:mount a RED xpe(red xpe’s behave very similarly to the 4715s) on a sinkpad bedded in AA, driven at 1.5A point at lux meter and watch the output drop. the output will drop 25% before stabilizing. Now remove the AA and screw the same mcpcb down to the pill with a little AA and you will see very little, if any, drop.simple.

That makes the assembly unnecessarily complex. I build weapons mounted lights and need a strong, easy to build design.

Not using DTP stars would be quicker, bit cheaper cost but no reason for a host positive to be any less strong. And honestly host pos doesn’t feel complex to me. Being able to push the output would be a selling point.

Yep, you are right, i have a feeling thats the truth, cause before i have never ever seen that big ones, and i hunt( with my grandfather ) since i was 6 years old

Some say its the Chernobil radiation over Europe, but i dont think so

Plus, they are banned fot hunting…EU regulations, 15 years already…but their population became quite wast( tens of thousands) and they do lotsa damage, so forest police just do nothing ….Cause of strickt and wierd regulations our Bear population is over 2000 now, only Russia has more in Europe, but Russia`s territory is huge…well, thats another story

Anyway, emitters came today…will see how they perform in C8 shortly

This is true... AA is not as good as screw or similar method mounted MCPCB of course with bit of polishing and drop of artic silver(or better thermal paste).

I wonder if cerakote conducts electricity. I’ll have to check. If not maybe the top of the pill where the pcb sits can be cerakoted to isolate it. Throw a little as5 down to hold the pcb in place. Hmmm something to check.

Oh, no… I was being quite serious. There has been a program to build up the population of the endangered Red Wolf here in NC over the last 30 or so years (the Red Wolf itself is suspected to be a hybrid breed between the grey wolf and the coyote that spread down from the northeastern US). They’ve released packs of red wolves into the wild several times, most recently a few years ago, and they inbred with coyotes fairly quickly. So in NC we have Red Wolf/Coyote hybrids - particularly in the eastern part of the state (where I mostly hunt). They’re actually not too much bigger than regular coyotes in most cases, just end up being coyotes with red wolf coloring patterns.

Coyotes are a fairly big problem here… they’ve opened the season on them completely in I think all 100 counties in NC to where you can hunt coyotes day and night all year round. They’re not as big of a problem as feral pigs in terms of damage to property/agriculture, but they’re certainly very damaging to the ecosystem and the balance of the various native species of other animals (much harder to quantify). Moral of the story is there aren’t enough coyote hunters here. Probably because no one wants to eat coyotes, and most hunters I know (myself included) hunt primarily for the meat (ie: venison).

Well….hunting boars and deers isnt that sporty, Europeant boars has to be ambushed, and all that waiting……
Yeah, we eat boars too, personaly i made once a year( usualy november time) a home made boar sausage…its actualy a dry sausage , very particulay for our reguon and its best purpouce is to be consumed with a bottle or wiskey :slight_smile:

Jackals and wild cats are the s…t, they are clever and quite cunny animals

Anyway, its done:

You can see only a red dot in real, i dot know how Samsung s5 managed to photo it that way

With this driver the emitter is at 3.35v and 1.15amps/1.28 at the tail, the body stays relatively cool

As long as i have a second person i will upload and a video, the range is like 150m, and i think the light can be tuned

Cant test in in the open woods atm, cause we have 1m of fresh snow in here, and –20-25 deg in the montain atm

Very nice and congrats on your success. The camera on a cell phone can “see” IR light thats why it looks that way. It’s also a good way to safely “look” at IR light. Never look directly into an IR light source. Now apply what you have learned to a T20 and you will be even happier.

Kevin