Launching the Flashlight Review Database

Hello, flashlight lovers!

Today is a fantastic day. I have been working on this project during my spare time for quite a while now, and it’s finally here. Introducing the Flashlight Review Database (FRD) through my new website: LumiReviews.ca

Although it may not be as comprehensive as I initially envisioned, I have come to realize that it now contains enough data to be highly useful.

Simply said, the FRD is an extensive collection of reviews from flashlight enthusiast. It serves as a review database, not a flashlight database. If you’re in search of a flashlight with particular features, I strongly suggest visiting the remarkable Paramatrek Flashlights website. Nevertheless, I have included some vital search criteria to aid you, such as battery type, quantity, and lamp type.

A few points:

• The FRD includes reviews spanning from 2006 to the present.
  • Whenever a page or website was no longer functional, I relied on the Internet Archives.
  • To ensure language consistency of some websites, I occasionally utilized direct links from Google Translate.
  • The completion of this Database is still in progress. At the time of publishing this site, the database consisted of more than 5551 completed entries. Currently, I am actively working on adding another 8000+ entries from the BLF website, and there are an additional 21 websites that require manual scanning. This database will continue to improve and expand over time.
  • I kindly invite you to visit the “Learn more” subpage to discover some helpful tips about the FRD.

Included and updated ~once/week:

Work in progress:

I must inform you that the FRD will not be completed according to the original plan anytime soon. I kindly request your patience regarding this matter :blush:.

Lastest FRD update: (no more date here as I do a bit every 1 to 4 days now)

19 Thanks

Wow, what an incredible amount of work - well done NightTime!

I don’t envy you the task of keeping it up to date, especially if it involves mainly manual scanning. I know from experience of keeping my whisky review metacritic up to date how much work that involves.

I’m sure this will be a valuable resource to the community, thanks for taking it on!

2 Thanks

Looking incredible @NightTime , thanks a lot for sharing! Added to Related Sites.

2 Thanks

To update it, it’s not so bad… so far.

The hard work is to completely introduce a new site into the database.

I worked a lot with vba macros and formulas in Excel to get all the links. Then I have to open them all and find the information :slight_smile:

I had to reduce the scope of the database. I might add more columns in the future for version tested, max output at 30 mins, runtime-lumens score. If that happens, it will be in months/years I’m afraid.

:face_with_spiral_eyes:

I get it - it was the same for me for the whisky site, as I had to generate to new calibrations for each reviewer before they could be slotted into the standard macros(that computed everything). Thank goodness for Excel. :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Thx !

Very hard work well done! Thank you so much!

1 Thank

Great work. Can’t wait to be added!

1 Thank

Sweetness, @NightTime ! :+1:

1 Thank

stephenknightphotography.com has just been added to the FRD !

1 Thank

[quote=“NightTime, post:10, topic:219112, full:true, username:NightTime”]
stephenknightphotography.com has just been added to the FRD !
[/quote] Thank you for your time and efforts in creating this database.

1 Thank

This is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to put this together, it will make searching for reviews on specific lights much easier!

1 Thank

https://timmcmahon.com.au/ is now part of LumiReviews.ca !

1 Thank

I recently added two legacy websites into the FRD:

Also added all the BLF “spotlight” reviews.

I’m working on adding review dates. As mentionned by some, it’s nice to be able to filter out the latest. A few more weeks will be needed. I may need to reshuffle the columns so that the reviews links are not constently pushed to the right when adding a new column.

3 Thanks

You can now see Review Dates in the Flashlight review database.

You can also filter by dates, but it’s very basic. I will try to add a better filter, like a date range or “greater than”, but without any guarantees.

As mentionned above I did reshuffle the columns after adding this one. Also, by default, the FRD will load with the newest reviews at the top.

Hope you enjoy this new feature like me !

1 Thank

Three websites are added this week:

• AbyssTek video reviews
  • Grzybek
  • LuxWad video reviews
2 Thanks

Very useful reference sources. Thanks for the hard works, NightTime. Highly appreciate your dedication and endeavour. :smiley:

1 Thank

In case you’re interested in including reviews in other languages, taschenlampen-forum.de (TLF) has an index of reviews published at TLF (last updated 2023-01-31):

https://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/taschenlampen-reviews-tests-inhaltsverzeichnis.82422/

2 Thanks

Thanks. For now I will add this site in the list as well as Italian CPF, but I have no clue when or if I will really add them. Just with CPF/BLF/Reddit, I have enough reviews for months/years. I would like to add 2 more columns for a lumen-minute score and dedicated version, so I may pause adding at some point in order to add these.

I added a search feature to my blog:

2 Thanks