LED test / review - LatticePower TN3535 (5000 K 90 CRI, 6500 K 70 CRI color kit 1A/1B)

LED Test / review EN

LatticePower TN3535 5000K 90 CRI / 6500 K 70 CRI color kit 1A/1B

2024-01-20

Chinese LEDs are still a great mystery. Often, neither the manufacturer nor other detailed information is available. In this case, however, things are different. Here I am testing an LED that is similar in design and application areas to the Nichia 519A and Samsung LH351D and offers a lot of potential.

The LED tested here was provided to me free of charge by Sofirn along with further information and the data sheet. There was no influence on the part of Sofirn. I have received permission to make the data sheet available here in the test.

Most of the information in this test applies to all variants. If there are differences between high CRI and low CRI types (primarily in terms of power and luminance), these will be mentioned separately in the test.

Technical data (90 CRI)

Tj 85 °C, If 1,050 mA
  • Type: single die
  • Bin: TB (min. 370 lm / max. 390 lm)
  • Color group: 3B (typ 5000 K)
  • CRI: min 90
  • Rated voltage: typ 2.8 (min 2.7 / max 2.9) V
  • Max. Forward current: 3,000 mA
  • Max. Peak current: — mA
  • Viewing angle: 120 °
  • Thermal resistance: typ 3.0 K/W
  • Max. Temperature Tj: max. 150°C

Datasheet can be downloaded here: Datasheet (newest version, LatticePower)

First appearance

The LatticePower TN3535 is an LED with the familiar XP footprint. With its design of white silicone around the yellow luminous surface and the dark gray substrate, it is relatively similar to the Lumileds HL2X, but has a significantly larger luminous surface.

An interesting feature is the shiny glow above the phosphor (which makes the yellow layer almost completely disappear) when the LED is viewed from the side. This is not very common for LEDs of this type and is probably intended to prevent a color shift with increasing beam angle, which occurs more frequently with this type of LED. Presumably two different types of silicone with different refractive indices were applied over the phosphor to achieve this effect.

Thanks to the symmetrical design and the standard footprint, accessories for XP or 3535 (3.45 x 3.45 mm) can be used freely. Centering aids produced with lathes can also be used.

The footprint offers no surprises. The thermal pad is electrically insulated, which means that DTP boards with direct heat transfer can be used without any problems.

LES

The LES is very large and appears almost round thanks to the silicone dome. As with most current emitters, it is connected via the underside (flip chip design).

The small speckles on the phosphor correspond to those of the HL2X or the Nichia 519A and should not affect the beam. In the center of the LES, the speckles on the phosphor appear blurred, as if the silicone is slightly deformed.

The luminous area is 8.4 mm² in size. There are no significant differences between the variants. As some light is also emitted from the side, it is difficult to determine the illuminated area using the surface alone.

Dedoming is not easily possible. In one case (LED shown in the previous picture), the dome could be separated from the substrate extremely easily, which happened unintentionally during normal handling. In this case the phosphor layer will be ripped off from the LED chip. Caution is therefore required here; this effect appears to be even more pronounced when heat is applied externally or immediately after high-current operation and at a corresponding temperature inside the LED.

Power and overcurrent capabilities

Within official parameters, as far as these are known (90 CRI / 70 CRI 1A / 70 CRI 1B) :

• at 3000 mA (official maximum current): 1050 lm @ 3.19 V / 1391 lm @ 3.18 V / 1433 lm @ 3.24 V
  • Power at official maximum: 9.56 W / 9.53 W / 9.71 W
  • Efficiency at 3000 mA: 110 lm/W / 146 lm/W / 148 lm/W

Overcurrent (90 CRI / 70 CRI 1A / 70 CRI 1B):

• Maximum reached at 9.4 A, at this point 1971 lm @ 3.82 V (90 CRI)
  • Maximum reached at 11.4 A, at this point 3084 lm @ 4.11 V (70 CRI 1A)
  • Maximum reached at 11.0 A, at this point 3174 lm @ 4.21 V (70 CRI 1B)
  • Power at maximum 35.9 W / 46.8 W / 46.3 W
  • Efficiency at maximum 54.8 lm/W / 65.9 lm/W / 68.6 lm/W

The maximum achievable performance is very good for an LED in XP format (3535 or XP footprint). Above a certain level, the limited heat dissipation surface of the XP footprint is limiting. The wide spread of the maximum possible luminous flux is striking. The 90 CRI variant performs worse in this discipline than the low CRI variants. Due to the limited area of the thermal pad in the 3535 footprint, more than 11 A can hardly be achieved - experience has shown that the power limit here is 50 W ± 5 W.

This is exactly what the two LEDs with 70 CRI achieve. Not only do they achieve a maximum current of around 11 A, they are also the first 3535 LEDs with an LED chip that I have tested to achieve more than 3000 lumens! Very impressive, a few years ago this would have been unthinkable in this small footprint. The high achievable current indicates a lower thermal resistance than specified.

Unfortunately, the Vf varies significantly between the tested variants. While the high CRI variant has a reasonably normal Vf, the low CRI variants are different: a Vf of over 4 V at maximum current is no longer up to date. The different characteristic curves of the two variants are also striking. The high CRI variant has a significantly slower increasing Vf. Either there are significant differences in the yield or in the LED chips used or the emitters tested here have simply been binned differently.

Operation in direct-drive (DD) mode, where the LED is connected directly to the power source such as a Li battery, is therefore only not recommended for the high CRI variant, at least for 21700s with a good voltage range, which can reach up to 4 V under load at 10 A. The variants with low color rendering, on the other hand, can be operated in direct drive without any problems if required, provided that the Vf is checked beforehand at high operating current.

A comparison with similar LEDs in a similar performance and color rendering class shows the good performance of the TN3535. It is more efficient than the new XP-G4 in 90 CRI and clearly outperforms the Lumileds HL2X. The latter has a lower luminous flux anyway due to the smaller illuminated area, and the Vf and thermal resistance are also significantly higher. The 519A is less efficient, but has an extremely low Vf. All in all, the performance of the TN3535 is good and definitely competitive with established manufacturers. The 70 CRI variants naturally have a massively higher efficiency, so a comparison with 90 CRI emitters is hardly meaningful here.

Luminance

Values at 25 °C Tsp, at 85 °C Tsp values are 13 % lower

The luminance is low due to the large illuminated area. This applies to all variants. These LEDs are not suitable for throwers; they are more suitable for use in lamps with a flood beam characteristic. The luminance corresponds approximately to that of the 519A or XP-G3/G4.

Light quality and use in optics

The light pattern on whitewall is quite usable, although the colored rings around the spot are visible at least on the whitewall and can be quite annoying. This effect is less pronounced with OP reflectors, and in nature this color inconsistency is no longer noticeable. With a suitable focus in the reflector and appropriate calculation of the reflector, it should be possible to significantly reduce this effect. The TN3535 is best used in textured (beaded) TIR lenses which ensures a fully mixed light.

Color and light quality

5000 K 90 CRI

6500 K 70 CRI (color kit 1A)

6500 K 70 CRI (color kit 1B)

The samples tested here are green. Although they are not as green as most other China LEDs, they are clearly above duv, which in turn affects the subjective perception of color saturation and color rendering.

This was already to be feared due to the order code with color grouping 3B, and is only slightly better than the tint of the previously tested Lumileds HL2X. Should a color grouping in the negative duv be available in larger quantities, these LEDs could be very good and represent an alternative to the Nichia 519A, which is sometimes difficult to obtain, although the latter still offers a much nicer light image and currently represents the ultimate in light image and light quality.

The 70 CRI variants are also both above the BBL. Tint 1A (position below BBL according to datasheet) is quite usable here, whereby the CCT is also above the specified value and the duv is well above 0. Due to the higher red component, 1A performs slightly better here in the CRI/Ra and R9 range. The variant in tint 1B, on the other hand, is well above BBL and appears slightly greenish. This effect decreases slightly with increasing current, although the green always remains recognizable.

(90 CRI / 70 CRI color 1A / 70 CRI color 1 B)

• Ra: 94 / 73 / 72
  • R9: 71 / -28 / -37
  • CCT: 6194 K / 7169 K / 7057 K
  • duv: 0.0055 / 0.0014 / 0.0042

Conclusion

The LatticePower TN3535 is fundamentally similar to the Nichia 519A and Samsung LH351D. The color rendering corresponds to the manufacturer’s specifications, the efficiency of the 90 CRI variant is very good even with increasing operating current and even surpasses the new Cree XP-G4. The 70 CRI version even achieves over 3000 lm in the 3535 footprint.

The Vf fluctuates significantly. It is ok for 90 CRI, but not for 70 CRI. Over 4 V at max. current is no longer up to date. The light image in reflectors could be better, the clearly visible green cast is still a problem, except in color group 1A. At least if the latter point is also remedied in the 90 CRI variant by selecting suitable color groupings and special attention is paid to a homogeneous beam / light pattern on the whitewall, these LEDs are very suitable for use in flashlights.

Pro

• very high efficiency (70 CRI)
  • very high maximum current possible
  • very high light flux in 3535 footprint (70 CRI)
  • variant with high color rendition available

Neutral

• low luminance, not suitable for throwy lights
  • light pattern could be better
  • Vf could be lower (70 CRI)
  • fluctuating electrical characteristics between both variants

Contra

• greenish tint
  • no official source known

Thank you for reading the test. :slight_smile:

Greetings, Dominik

v1.0.1
9 Thanks

Finally some proper information on this. Thanks for your work as usual @koef3.

I believe these are the same emitters that Acebeam use in the CW variant of their E75. I eventually reflowed those into 519a’s.

It’s curious how the manufacturer of these leds didn’t provide any meaningful info on these emitters. If these are indeed the same TN3535’s used in the E75. I emailed and messaged Acebeam on 5 separate occasions across multiple platforms, regarding this emitter - but they fully ghosted me. Like complete radio silence. Perhaps they just didn’t have the info to share.

Thank you for the info! This reminds me I should order some more 519a.

You compare it to the LH351D (fair) and 519A - 519A isn’t ugly like this. I appreciate that you mentioned the HL2X - I have some, they are unusable unless I need PC Green LEDs on short notice :wink:

TN3535 and 519A are quite similar in terms of overall design - like LH351D or HL2X, and also XP-G4.

1 Thank

Very well done as always, thanks.

What do you think the chances are flashlight companies have been using these, or something similar, and just calling them Samsungs for a while now?

Such an exciting time to see you cranking out these reviews!

It seems that nobody has mentioned just how overspec the CCT was on the 5000K 90CRI sample–it’s a bit cooler than the E21A 6500K tested here! Aside from the slightly worse red the spectrum actually looks quite ok in comparison, it’s conceivable that some samples may achieve 80+ R9 by chance or by good bin. Quite an interesting emitter to fill the high CRI, extremely high CCT niche.

The output increase over LH351D and 519A is quite substantial and might be more than what the higher R9 of the 519A can account for. I’d guess they have a more efficient blue pump, or the weird refractive index trick is helping get more lumens out. If they stuffed just a bit more red in the phosphor mixture this emitter could conceivably dethrone the 519A. Of course more consistency in electrical characteristics would be nice.

It’s surprising to see the bad tint shift in practice despite the refractive index trick. But it does seem a step in the right direction for the purpose of addressing angular tint shift.

Great review, love to see more information on new/unknown emitters.

Very interesting how high the CCT of the “5000k” 90cri version was.
Shame they are so green, they seem to be an emitter with a lot of potential if neutral-rosy bins were available. I suppose that a bit more red phosphor would go a long way.

Would be interesting to know how the tint changes when sliced, some emitters go rosy and some turn green.

Also, I’m curious what they look like under UV-A, I’ve had LH351D 5000k that fluoresced green (whereas anything with decent R9 was yellow-orange)

Are these the emitters used on the outer ring of the Sofirn IF30?

1 Thank

Again great review, thank you.

Do you think we could ask Sofirn to share a few meters of the reel with BLF?
It’s hard to buy (or actually impossible for me) so maybe we could arrange a quick group-buy of these?

1 Thank

Wurkkos sells loose emitters on their website (for a good price too), it would be an alternative if Sofirn is unwilling.

Yes, got like 30pcs ordered recently but the choice variety is modest. And some are already sold out.

I’m after particularly these LatticePower TN3535 LEDs.

Very high.
The TN3535 looks extremely similar to the LH351D, even the LES and design of silicone/substrate looks almost exactly the same:

Perhaps such a design results automatically from the requirements of such an LED? But I rather suspect (also because Nichia and Lumileds have different designs) that this similarity to the LH351D is quite intentional. I wouldn’t be surprised if these TN3535s were simply referred to as “Samsung” by manufacturers or dealers to suggest quality or the use of a well-known LED.

The LH351D is indeed not as good as this TN3535, it has lower maximum current and also lower effiency (and higher Vf), but the beam is better.

For me I have to say that there are no reasons to choose these TN3535 LEDs to date. I would only choose the 519A, if needed in a R70 or R8000 spec. The beam does not look so nice as with 519A and the tint is also not good, even when choosing color group below BBL. Yes, the TN3535 has a good performance, but in the end it suffers from the same problems most chinese LEDs still have: large series variation in electrical characteristics and ugly tint in conjunction with not so nice beam (colored rings aka “Cree rainbow”)

3 Thanks

That’s definitely ok for Sofirn to sell TN3535 led.
We can make it available in Sofirn website if there are people really need to purchase it. :grinning:

5 Thanks

Thanks for the test.

Like the LH351D it looks like the phosphor layer is encased in silicone, so slicing would be the way to go, I’m curious how it compares to LH351D slicing.

In terms of performance, it looks to be similar to the LH351D 5000K 90CRI, except it cheats a bit by being more than 1000K higher and greener.
I suppose that Sofirn is eying this LED because it’s cheaper than the LH351D ? It would only be worth it if they can source a neutral to rosy bin (and in the correct CCT), and use it with OP reflector, even the LH351D is better with OP, for example the SP36 should have come with an OP reflector.

1 Thank

This is good thanks. You don’t happen to have one of the emitters in the ts10 as well test do you? I’d love to see that as well. Since half the world seems to have at least one of the things

I’d love to. If that’s not a problem and won’t add much work for you - then yes please.

I have some. Maybe in the next weeks, but if so the test of these CSP2323 would be shorter than this one.

1 Thank

Anything would be good. As it doesn’t seem to be a lot of information on these, except for if you put current into them, light will come out.:grin:

Thanks for the tests. Unfortunately, my Latice Bright experiences did not impress. I had a few emitters laying around that I had swapped out from various flashlights. So I put them to use and built a large down-light array for a storage area in my basement. I used a mixture of various Cree XML2 and a similar Latice Bright version, being fraudulently sold as Cree XML2 emitters to the unsuspecting. I wired them in series and powered them at 2.5A using a commercial duty Meanwell AC to DC, CC/CV LED driver (which I carefully calibrated using a DMM and clamp meter). I mounted the emitters to a long aluminum rail, with identical CPU heat sinks above each emitter to keep them cool. This provided far more heat extraction than was necessary, but I had the heat sinks and was going to toss them anyway. Before 1 year of limited use (total of less than 50 hours), one by one, all the Latice Bright emitters turned an angry blue and failed. After total failure, they have since been replaced with Cree XML2. I even turned up the power level to 3.2A and they have operated flawlessly for 3 years. While this probably wont matter too much for the casual flashlight enthusiast, it definitely will for those who intend to use them for longer periods of time.

A critical spec viewed by industry for LED lighting is know as “Lumen Maintenance”.

From Wiki: Lumen maintenance is the most useful gauge to determine the lifetime or useful light output rating of an LED light source. Unlike traditional light sources such as incandescent lamps, LEDs rarely fail outright and instead continue to emit light, albeit at slowly diminishing rate over time. Lumen maintenance is the luminous flux remaining at any selected elapsed operating time.

When I searched, I found that none of the large reputable industrial luminary manufacturers were using Latice Bright emitters, because of the extremely poor lumen maintenance realized in the field. In fact, none that I could find used any Chinese manufactured emitters for that very reason. They simply dont last under typical daily usage. And paying to service large expensive luminary arrays far exceeds the cost of the actual lighting fixtures.

Tbf, I don’t think LatticeBright and LatticePower are the same companies. And if so (because they renamed themself to Latticepower), they also could make a huge step forward in overall quality and reliability. They still have some knock-off emitters like XG2 or XM2 in their line-up tho.

2 Thanks